80 people tested positive on Amadeus Classic

steamboats

According to several media reports in Austria and Germany 80 out of 178 people (passengers and crew) onboard the Amadeus Classic have been tested positive. The ship was on a 7 night cruise out of Passau. All people on board had to be tested for going ashore in Vienna. That brought up the positive cases. The ship is currently quarantined in Vienna Nussdorf.

The Amadeus Classic is owned by Austrian Lüftner Cruises. But as Lüftner also charters out their ships I can´t tell you which company currently "operates" the ship. Passengers are mainly Germans.

steamboats

Interesting. BR reports it as well: https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/80-corona-faelle-kreuzfahrtschiff-aus-passau-vor-wien-gestrandet,Sn6ZfAe

Neither of them say it is the Amadeus Classic (journalism practice in Germany and Austria or simply not knowing from non disclosing police report). Where do you know it from?

I had not heard about that previous incident on Nicko Cruises mentioned in the article.

It shows that enclosed spaces are a risk when you are exposed to the same people for a longer time - we all know that. As will be with most of these cruises operated out of Passau that are German or not the majority of those travelling will be vaccinated. Amadeus operates with 3G rules I reckon?

A-Rosa has 2G now. Still, that would not make them that much safer if they did not test.

I am a bit concerned by the Nicko Cruises ship being quarantined, with the passengers in a hotel and then sent home. I suppose the authorities would not be able to just "throw out" passengers from overseas. I mean, you cannot board a plane when you are positive...

notamermaid

2 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Was there not a requirement to provide proof of vaccination prior to boarding?

I don´t know who was the responsible operator. According to Lüftner/Amadeus Flusskreuzfahrten you either have to be vaccinated, within 6 months after an infection or tested.

It´s pretty likely that most of the passengers have been vaccinated as usually the age group is 60+ and that group has a high vaccination rate.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

Obviously a German tour operator from Leipzig had chartered the ship. According to MDR 85 passengers are positive and in their way back to Leipzig. No word about crew. The article mentions 137/139 passengers which means that the ship was at full capacity (144 max). This is very unusual as currently ships are all in reduced capacity. The cruise has started in Romania (which is currently hit pretty hard and has a extreme low vaccination rate). So I assume that the cruise was going in for a week at least. On the website of the tour operator there's nothing about a hygiene concept. So I think it's the one from Lüftner/Amadeus Flusskreuzfahrten with 3G.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, monvoyage said:

And as such, there is no vaccine requirement if you come with a test or recovery.

No, no vaccine requirement - this is o.k. by the health authorities here in Germany and all over Europe. Recovery means that you have to show a positive PCR test not older than 6 months. After that you can get the vaccine and are not reagarded as recovered anymore.

There are river cruise lines which are sailing 2G (vaccinated or recovered) or even 1G (vaccinated). A-Rosa and also nicko cruise do an Antigen rapid test at embarkation for all guests now. A-Rosa is sailing 2G (exemptions for kids under 15, pregnant women, people with medical conditions which don´t allow a vaccination). nicko cruises is currently changing from 3G to 2G on the rivers (ocean cruises are already 2G).

In case you wonder why we say "G" with a number - pretty simple vaccinated = geimpft, recovered = genesen and tested = getested - so 3G when you allow all 3, 2G for vaccinated/recovered and 1G for vaccinated. 3G+ is 3G but only a 24 hour PCR test is accepted (no Antigen test).

steamboats

• Like 2