Pre-cruise COVID tests - cost

Tom-n-Cheryl

So, what's the current situation. Are places giving "free" tests as was the case the few times I took one when either symptomatic or following possible exposure?

I'm assuming testing places will ask why you're getting the test?

With all the local (Pt Canaveral area) tests being given for cruising purposes - do they factor in the test results with the general population... thus potentially skewing the local positivity numbers (which are fortunately dropping here and most everywhere)?

Tom

The test are never FREE. In most situations you will not have to pay when you get it. However, you are paying for it now in increased taxes and prices of all goods. Your insurance company is required to pay for it. You will see how "free" it is when premiums and co-pays go up, the cost of medical services go up. Another issue there are a ton of new results companies popping up. Because the law passed never stated what they can charge for the analysis of those tests, they are making a mint in billing insurance companies. Many of these places are charging upwards of $500 for the results. The law only stated what can be charged for administering those tests. Big Insurance is going back to their Big Donor Candidates to get this fixed and stop needing to pay those fees. 

43 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The test are never FREE. In most situations you will not have to pay when you get it. However, you are paying for it now in increased taxes and prices of all goods. Your insurance company is required to pay for it. You will see how "free" it is when premiums and co-pays go up, the cost of medical services go up. Another issue there are a ton of new results companies popping up. Because the law passed never stated what they can charge for the analysis of those tests, they are making a mint in billing insurance companies. Many of these places are charging upwards of $500 for the results. The law only stated what can be charged for administering those tests. Big Insurance is going back to their Big Donor Candidates to get this fixed and stop needing to pay those fees. 

Which is why I said "free" (in quotes).

I'm not wanting to debate what is "free", but rather if I have to pay out of pocket at the time (or am directly billed later).

Tom

• Like 1

I used a local CVS store and CIGNA insurance.  My CIGNA claim indicated $159 and it was covered.

I provided my insurance information when I made the appointment online which included providing a copy of my insurance card.  I indicated that I was getting the test for travel purposes.  I did not pay anything up front.

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

So, what's the current situation. Are places giving "free" tests as was the case the few times I took one when either symptomatic or following possible exposure?

With all the local (Pt Canaveral area) tests being given for cruising purposes - do they factor in the test results with the general population... thus potentially skewing the local positivity numbers (which are fortunately dropping here and most everywhere)?

Tom

We didn't pay anything, they did ask if we had insurance and did bill our insurance but took whatever they received from them. I literally received the insurance statement today and they billed $129 (test and to apply it) insurance paid $59 amount owed by us $0

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Hi Tom,

If you wouldn't mind,  where are a few of the places in Port Canaveral so I can tell my cruise group.  We cruise in February, so we're getting just close enough to start discussing our options.  Thank you 😊 

13 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

I've had two tests -- one last year and one recently.  I did not have any out of pocket costs for either.  My health insurer would have been billed I'm sure.   If I did not have insurance, I would be able to get a test at no cost through our public health.  Though they are apparently rationing these based on need, so it isn't like anyone can walk in and get a free test.   

At first I didn't follow your concerns about cruise test results skewing the data.  But then the light bulb went on!  haha.   I could see how that might be a concern for an area with a lot of cruise ship passengers traveling through.   

Just to share my experience. We were traveling to a location where the test had to be PCR (Galapagos). We did register and show up for a free test, that was cancelled at the last minute. We ended up going to the airport to get a test because it was the only place locally that offered a rapid PCR. Cost was $200. But we had our results before we left.

On 10/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, Gypsywych said:

Hi Tom,

If you wouldn't mind,  where are a few of the places in Port Canaveral so I can tell my cruise group.  We cruise in February, so we're getting just close enough to start discussing our options.  Thank you 😊 

I can't speak specifically to Pt. Canaveral - but generally, in Brevard county, there's CVS/Walgreens, MedFast. MedFast is where I got all mine.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BAYA said:

Royal is suggesting the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test as one option for the pre-cruise test to be done 1-2 days before sailing. A 3-pack is about $100. Does anyone have experience doing this at-home, telemed test?

We just did it last month and it was so easy.  Being it was our first time doing it we were nervous but it turned out we had nothing to br nervous about.

We are about to home test again in about 3 weeks.  One thing we will do this time is each of us will log in on our own device.  Last time I failed to completely log out of the Navica app and when my husband logged on the proctor said he was not the owner of that account and wouldn’t do the test.  We just replaced my IPad with my husband’s iPad, he logged in on his, got another proctor and everything went smoothly.

We did ours about 6am and our wait time was less than one minute.  Last time we had appts cancelled with CVS at the last minute so we were glad we already had these kits available.  We won’t bother with appts this time and just strictly use the home test…

7 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We just did it last month and it was so easy.  Being it was our first time doing it we were nervous but it turned out we had nothing to br nervous about.

We are about to home test again in about 3 weeks.  One thing we will do this time is each of us will log in on our own device.  Last time I failed to completely log out of the Navica app and when my husband logged on the proctor said he was not the owner of that account and wouldn’t do the test.  We just replaced my IPad with my husband’s iPad, he logged in on his, got another proctor and everything went smoothly.

We did ours about 6am and our wait time was less than one minute. 

That is great news. Your response helped me to decided to go this route!

Thanks very much.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BAYA said:

Royal is suggesting the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test as one option for the pre-cruise test to be done 1-2 days before sailing. A 3-pack is about $100. Does anyone have experience doing this at-home, telemed test?

21 hours ago, BAYA said:

That is great news. Your response helped me to decided to go this route!

Thanks very much.

I did it a few weeks ago for my cruise on Celebrity.  My experience was similar to GTO-Girl's - very easy and relatively painless.  I plan to try again with my cruise on Princess later this month.

I'm glad you decided to use these tests.  I think you'll be happy with the results.

• Like 1