Final Bill Charged 6 times!!!

km3045

I sailed a B2B on the Meraviglia 10/9-10/23/2021.  I see where MSC charged my credit card the same amount 6 times on Oct 24.  By my figuring, that’s 5 times too many.  Anyone else have this happen to them?  I’ve waited a week to see if they straightened it out, but that hasn’t happened.   I’ll call the phone number I have on my paperwork, unless someone here has a more direct phone number or email?

Your credit card company will probably require you to document your contact(s) with MSC to resolve it before they will jump in.  I know calling is painful but then so is all that money tied up!  But I agree, it’s a wonder fraud control didn’t flag the multiple charges.

Not the same but I recently paid the final balance on my December cruise only to be told by MSC that the full amount was still owing. Despite providing a screenshot of my bank account showing the payment to them and also a copy of their email confirming successful payment, they were unable to ‘find’ the funds their end. Got it sorted out eventually, however, it was a painful process involving several phone calls and emails 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

I’m surprised your credit card company’s fraud algorithm did not catch the multiple same charges on the same date.  I would go that route first.

Dennis

We have charge alerts placed on our credit cards and checking account.

Amount over our pre set amount , alerts me and I can notify bank directly if charge is not correct. This one is an easy dispute.

I would check if they are still pending or are charges to account.

Does MSC bill each item separately? On my recent RC cruise, they hit the card for $100, after which they billed every charge separately. HAL charges once per cruise, including back to backs. 

Also, does MSC bill you in Euros or Dollars? My cruise starts and ends in the US, so I am expecting Dollars, but I have heard they are big on Euros.

Glad it’s not just me! We got off Divina on Oct 24th. We made two large purchases from Jewelry store on board. We notice they showed as separate charges on our credit card and show as pending. Two days later our total sail & sign total showed as a charge on our credit but the two pending are still there.  It’s driving me crazy but figure I’d give them 5 business days. Doesn’t seem right they hit with the total charge but don’t remove the pending $$  😡 

On a positive note -(on Divina 9/30-10/3)-- With a total charge of $92.74, I was  charged $33.69 after using my OBC of $59.05. Within a week I received a notice from AMEX of a refund of $57.36. Have no idea why. Also --- we ordered cappucinos in the MDR twice, had 2 drinks at the pool bar, 2 drinks in the Black and White Bar, and 2 drinks at Le Sirene Bar, I was only charged for 2 drinks total. Wish we had ordered more!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

On a positive note -(on Divina 9/30-10/3)-- With a total charge of $92.74, I was  charged $33.69 after using my OBC of $59.05. Within a week I received a notice from AMEX of a refund of $57.36. Have no idea why. Also --- we ordered cappucinos in the MDR twice, had 2 drinks at the pool bar, 2 drinks in the Black and White Bar, and 2 drinks at Le Sirene Bar, I was only charged for 2 drinks total. Wish we had ordered more!! 

Did you miss any ports or was there a change in itinerary?  Perhaps they settled up on actual port charges due.

17 hours ago, tkwbear said:

Also, does MSC bill you in Euros or Dollars? My cruise starts and ends in the US, so I am expecting Dollars, but I have heard they are big on Euros.

The prices on board MSC cruises sailing from the United States are in US$. The prices on board European and Middle East sailings are in €.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

The prices on board MSC cruises sailing from the United States are in US$. The prices on board European and Middle East sailings are in €.

From what I understand, your onboard accounts are billed in Euros  Use a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

Search for "The Shiplife" on YouTube and find in his content from a couple months back his battle with MSC when this same thing happened. MSC told him (according to him) that the best they could do was to offer future cruise credit for the excessive charges. Obviously, that was not suitable at all.

As long as you are sure these charges have posted, and not just pending, you should immediately contest the charges. Often that can be done online with just a checkbox on the excessive charges. If MSC wants to fight you for it, you may have to do more, but in the case of duplicate charges, you'll probably never hear anything from anyone again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

From what I understand, your onboard accounts are billed in Euros  Use a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

So...yes and no. I think they are billing in $ for US (mine always have been), but from a foreign bank.

That being said, I think you are smart to use a CC w/o FX fees because MSC can and will change stuff without notifying you...

10 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

So...yes and no. I think they are billing in $ for US (mine always have been), but from a foreign bank.

That being said, I think you are smart to use a CC w/o FX fees because MSC can and will change stuff without notifying you...

See this thread for discussion.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2510365-important-don’t-use-a-credit-card-on-msc-that-charges-a-foreign-transaction-fee/?tab=comments#comment-61858127

5 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Yeah...I commented on that thread 🙂

Like so many things MSC, how people were charged seem all over the place. I've never been charged for anything in Euros, and MSC USA always appears on my CC, but I still take one w/o a FX fee because, you know, MSC...

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:50 AM, Native Floridian 26 said:

Did you miss any ports or was there a change in itinerary?  Perhaps they settled up on actual port charges due.

It was just a 3 day out of Port Canaveral. Stopped at Nassau and Ocean Cay. No changes to the itinerary. Maybe a reward for suffering through the mess at Nassau? Streets, sidewalks, pier and buildings under construction; climbed the Queen's Staircase only to find the fort was closed; the Straw Market was closed. On a bright note --- the "run the gauntlet market" at the pier is gone as are those poor horses and their buggies.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:48 AM, km3045 said:

I sailed a B2B on the Meraviglia 10/9-10/23/2021.  I see where MSC charged my credit card the same amount 6 times on Oct 24.  By my figuring, that’s 5 times too many.  Anyone else have this happen to them?  I’ve waited a week to see if they straightened it out, but that hasn’t happened.   I’ll call the phone number I have on my paperwork, unless someone here has a more direct phone number or email?

So......................what happened?

UPDATE!

So sorry, I replied to this not long after my original post, but obviously, you guys don't see it.  I don't know why and hope you can see this one.  My financial software showed 6 entries, but my credit card only shows 1.  I boarded on 10/9 and that's when the original hold was opened, but the final charge didn't happen until I departed on 10/24.  It was a B2B, so maybe they put through a hold every few days?  Also, as it was a caribbean cruise, all money was in USD.  I don't know, but all seems to be well.  Thanks for the help and advice!

38 minutes ago, km3045 said:

UPDATE!

So sorry, I replied to this not long after my original post, but obviously, you guys don't see it.  I don't know why and hope you can see this one.  My financial software showed 6 entries, but my credit card only shows 1.  I boarded on 10/9 and that's when the original hold was opened, but the final charge didn't happen until I departed on 10/24.  It was a B2B, so maybe they put through a hold every few days?  Also, as it was a caribbean cruise, all money was in USD.  I don't know, but all seems to be well.  Thanks for the help and advice!

Thanks for the update.

Steve