Are the Larger Tables in MDR Always Fully Occupied?

WFBgal

It does vary with the cruise and the guests that are aboard.  I have been seated at a table for 4-6-8 on many cruises (at my request).  Sometimes, every evening, all of my tablemates appear; other times, some appear; sometimes none appear (really great service those evenings!).  

What irritates me is when I am at a table with others and my tablemates do not inform me or the Stewards that they won't make an appearance the next evening.  If their dinner plans change on the next day, that's understandable.  But, too often, that is not the case and both my Stewards and me are left "hanging".  Should they take my order?  Or, should we wait?  

If one knows when sharing a large table and one knows that their dinner plans will be elsewhere the next evening, it is inconsiderate of them not to make that known to their Stewards and to their tablemates.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, WFBgal said:

I’m wondering if there are a lot of requests for Tables for Two instead of being seated with others? Are passengers willing to dine with strangers?

To directly address the title of your Thread, during, Second Seating, often large tables are not totally filled.  During the First Seating, from my experience, the large tables are more likely to be filled.  

2 hours ago, WFBgal said:

Actually, I was asking about current cruising…..are passengers less likely to want to sit with 3 other couples. I didn’t make it too clear.

Again, I am not sure there is anyone doing a study on this, as it varies so much, cruise to cruise, and perhaps even night to night on a cruise. Who really knows?

• Like 1

When I cruised in August on Celebrity, they were not seating parties together UNLESS they were traveling together -- although I heard later of some people saying that if you met another couple and went to the MDR together at the same time (assuming open seating), they would seat you together on your request.  But you were not allowed to just arrive at the restaurant and request to share a larger table with others.

I'd be surprised if other lines were doing thing significantly differently, but I haven't cruised on HAL since the restart.

Was on the September 25 sailing of the Nieuw Amsterdam. When I booked my cabin, I requested an early seating, shared table for 6 people. That is exactly what I was assigned, in a great location. My tablemates consisted of a couple, plus a family of three (a couple with an adult child accompanying them). Some nights all six of us appeared, some nights four or five of us appeared, one night two of us were there, and one night I dined alone. Tables near me, both rounds for 8 and rectangles for 6, appeared to have similar fluctuations. There were also some couples nearby in tables for two or four.

I can second the sentiments of rkacruiser however, that if you are sharing a table and do not intend to be there one night, that you inform the waiter and ideally your tablemates. This eliminates the wait for someone who ultimately does not show up, as well as having the waiter take orders and then have to repeat the process ten minutes later when additional diners appear.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OC PAT said:

I also request large tables and mdr. For some reason I can never get either at booking.  I might get MDR but often not a large table.  We are the type who like to meet new people.

Have you gone to the maitre'd after you board to check your table and ask to be moved if you don't have the table you want? Or just go with anytime dining and ask for a big table each night, assuming that they are doing it (which was the point of this thread).

I often like to find other Cruise Critic members from my roll call thread and put together a table with them.  We're all booked with anytime dining, of course.

Edited by MisterBill99

We recently sailed on the 10/2-23 Seattle to Fort Lauderdale cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

We always choose anytime dining and will not be seated at a 8 person table set for 6 as it's simply too hard to hear table conversation.  On this cruise we only ate twice in the MDR and both occasions we were seated at a 6 person table for 6 with total strangers (which we are comfortable with).  When we eat in the LIDO, Tamarind, Pinnacle Grill, or Nami, 95% of the time it's just with ourselves unless we've pre-arranged something else. 

We enjoy sitting with others and have met many very interesting people.  For fixed dining we ask for table for 6 since the conversation can be enjoyed by everyone at the table.  For our next cruise because of Covid precautions we will request our first table for two.  

I have always chosen fixed dining when available and in the past I have enjoyed being seated with others. For my upcoming cruise I am sailing solo and for now my mind is quite set on keeping it that way. I am very much looking forward to being on a cruise again but am also okay with maintaining social distancing.

Rochelle

17 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Have you gone to the maitre'd after you board to check your table and ask to be moved if you don't have the table you want? Or just go with anytime dining and ask for a big table each night, assuming that they are doing it (which was the point of this thread).

I often like to find other Cruise Critic members from my roll call thread and put together a table with them.  We're all booked with anytime dining, of course.

I dislike anytime dining very much but when stuck with it I do ask for a change upon arrival of the cruise. I am puzzled as to why I am on a wait list considering I made my reservations/request in one case 7 months before and in my other 18 months.  I do request a large table when I have to do anytime.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:03 PM, WFBgal said:

Actually, I was asking about current cruising…..are passengers less likely to want to sit with 3 other couples. I didn’t make it too clear.

Prior to Covid, we were always the type to "wing it". We like dining with others sometimes, but also like a table for 2 so sort of a mix during a cruise.

In our upcoming cruise (in 4 weeks) we are 'much' less likely to want to sit with others and will be trying to avoid dining with others. I don't think it's particularly risky,  it's just not a risk we want to take for something we are generally impartial to anyway.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 8:03 PM, WFBgal said:

On our 24 Europe cruise in September a lot of people requested tables for two because they didn’t want to sit with anyone.  But there were also some large tables that were full during open seating.  If you want to sit with 6 others they will let you do so as long as enough other people also request a large table.  If they can’t fill it they will start serving, so you may end up with some empty chairs.