Royal Caribbean has jacked me around for the last time.

Booked a cruise on Mariner of the Seas for April 2020 that got canceled due to COVID, a group of 10 of us.  Once it got scrubbed, the other 8 took their cash back.  If only I'd had the foresight to do the same.  I foolishly let RCL keep my money and took the future cruise credit.  What a mistake.

July 2021, I finally booked a replacement cruise departing on Thanksgiving.  After months of RCL predictably running non-stop "2nd guest XX% off sales" just so that I couldn't apply the entire FCC to a new cruise, I learned that they'd made FCCs stackable and sharable among passengers on the same reservation/in the same stateroom.  Great.  Only, that was very difficult to actually apply.  I probably spent 2 hours on the phone with various reps trying to get them evenly applied.  Still never happened, no matter what I did, I ended up with FCC left over.  Whatever, I got tired of dealing with it and just booked.

Fast forward to August - the price on the cruise drops precipitously.  I call Royal and ask to get a stateroom upgrade to a balcony as the balcony price is now less than what I paid for an oceanview.  Told there were no balconies available, even though I was looking at a mock booking I was doing on my computer and they very clearly had balcony cabins available to book.  All right, I swallow my words again and accept their offer of a $91.44 refund to my credit card and the zeroing of my remaining balance due ($181.)  The refund will hit my card within 45 days.  Sure.

Fast forward to late September, after the 45 days had passed.  Called again, spoke to another rep.  he can see the refund requested, but it hadn't been processed yet.  It would be posted to my card "within 10 business days."  OK.

Today is November 2nd, credit still not posted.  I call again, they tell me they see it, but nothing has been done.  They ask if I can hold for "3 to 5 minutes."  I say sure.  One hour and 10 minutes later, the rep comes back and says she spoke to the resolutions department and that the previous rep who did the re-price back in August "did it incorrectly."  Not only am I not going to receive the promised refund, but they're going to issue me another future cruise credit for $270, but I now owe them $181, even though I'm well past final payment and my balance shows $0.  I tell them that this is unacceptable and that I do not want another FCC, especially as I am moving in January and am not going to be able to cruise again before the FCC expires, so that is literally useless to me.  They put me on hold again, then come back and tell me that there is absolutely nothing they can do.  No upgrade, no onboard credit, nothing.  If I don't pay the additional $181, I will not be allowed to board.  I cannot cancel and get my money back.  I'm just f@#$ed.

It's not a ton of money.  The original cruise was $399pp.  I accepted the FCC to let them hold my money and stay afloat (pun intended) through COVID, figuring I could find a similar cruise for $499pp (original price x 125%) later.  That was the exact cost of the cruise I rebooked before the price drop.  The same stateroom after the price drop was about $365pp.  The FCCs should have covered that entirely, with a small amount left over.  Yet, somehow not only did they make it impossible to apply the credits evenly, they are now holding my reservation hostage unless I pay them more money on top of the $200 deposit I already paid and accept it back in the form of an unusable (to me) $270 FCC.  I don't even understand their math - if the re-priced stateroom was $365 each and I've paid $200 already and now they expect another $181 to cover taxes and fees, then the FCCs I applied only covered $530.  If the two credits were for $499 each, shouldn't I be entitled to $469 in FCCs, not $270?  That's even if I accept that what they designate as an "error" by their rep is somehow my responsibility to cover?

I don't even know what I'm going to do about this yet, but I do know that I will NEVER sail on Royal Caribbean again as long as I live and neither will anyone originally booked on this cruise from my family.  That's 10 people, all Emerald or above, and 20+ year "loyal to Royal" cruisers.  They may end up getting another couple hundred dollars from me in the end because I don't know what else to do, but they've forfeited tens of thousands in future business from my family alone.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced something like this.

Farewell, RCL.  You're dead to me.  Over a couple hundred bucks.

• Like 1

I dont blame you for choosing other cruise lines . 

I had a very different experience with them applying a credit which they extended to a later date because of the covid shutdown. 

I will continue to cruise with them.

17 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Booked a cruise on Mariner of the Seas for April 2020 that got canceled due to COVID, a group of 10 of us.  Once it got scrubbed, the other 8 took their cash back.  If only I'd had the foresight to do the same.  I foolishly let RCL keep my money and took the future cruise credit.  What a mistake.

July 2021, I finally booked a replacement cruise departing on Thanksgiving.  After months of RCL predictably running non-stop "2nd guest XX% off sales" just so that I couldn't apply the entire FCC to a new cruise, I learned that they'd made FCCs stackable and sharable among passengers on the same reservation/in the same stateroom.  Great.  Only, that was very difficult to actually apply.  I probably spent 2 hours on the phone with various reps trying to get them evenly applied.  Still never happened, no matter what I did, I ended up with FCC left over.  Whatever, I got tired of dealing with it and just booked.

Fast forward to August - the price on the cruise drops precipitously.  I call Royal and ask to get a stateroom upgrade to a balcony as the balcony price is now less than what I paid for an oceanview.  Told there were no balconies available, even though I was looking at a mock booking I was doing on my computer and they very clearly had balcony cabins available to book.  All right, I swallow my words again and accept their offer of a $91.44 refund to my credit card and the zeroing of my remaining balance due ($181.)  The refund will hit my card within 45 days.  Sure.

Fast forward to late September, after the 45 days had passed.  Called again, spoke to another rep.  he can see the refund requested, but it hadn't been processed yet.  It would be posted to my card "within 10 business days."  OK.

Today is November 2nd, credit still not posted.  I call again, they tell me they see it, but nothing has been done.  They ask if I can hold for "3 to 5 minutes."  I say sure.  One hour and 10 minutes later, the rep comes back and says she spoke to the resolutions department and that the previous rep who did the re-price back in August "did it incorrectly."  Not only am I not going to receive the promised refund, but they're going to issue me another future cruise credit for $270, but I now owe them $181, even though I'm well past final payment and my balance shows $0.  I tell them that this is unacceptable and that I do not want another FCC, especially as I am moving in January and am not going to be able to cruise again before the FCC expires, so that is literally useless to me.  They put me on hold again, then come back and tell me that there is absolutely nothing they can do.  No upgrade, no onboard credit, nothing.  If I don't pay the additional $181, I will not be allowed to board.  I cannot cancel and get my money back.  I'm just f@#$ed.

It's not a ton of money.  The original cruise was $399pp.  I accepted the FCC to let them hold my money and stay afloat (pun intended) through COVID, figuring I could find a similar cruise for $499pp (original price x 125%) later.  That was the exact cost of the cruise I rebooked before the price drop.  The same stateroom after the price drop was about $365pp.  The FCCs should have covered that entirely, with a small amount left over.  Yet, somehow not only did they make it impossible to apply the credits evenly, they are now holding my reservation hostage unless I pay them more money on top of the $200 deposit I already paid and accept it back in the form of an unusable (to me) $270 FCC.  I don't even understand their math - if the re-priced stateroom was $365 each and I've paid $200 already and now they expect another $181 to cover taxes and fees, then the FCCs I applied only covered $530.  If the two credits were for $499 each, shouldn't I be entitled to $469 in FCCs, not $270?  That's even if I accept that what they designate as an "error" by their rep is somehow my responsibility to cover?

I don't even know what I'm going to do about this yet, but I do know that I will NEVER sail on Royal Caribbean again as long as I live and neither will anyone originally booked on this cruise from my family.  That's 10 people, all Emerald or above, and 20+ year "loyal to Royal" cruisers.  They may end up getting another couple hundred dollars from me in the end because I don't know what else to do, but they've forfeited tens of thousands in future business from my family alone.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced something like this.

Send your description of your ordeal to ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com and mbayley@rccl.com   Be calm and clear, and omit the foaming-at-the-mouth parts.  (not that I blame you; I just want you to get results)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Send your description of your ordeal to ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com and mbayley@rccl.com   Be calm and clear, and omit the foaming-at-the-mouth parts.  (not that I blame you; I just want you to get results)

I'll do that, thanks.  I'll be as pleasant as I was to the rep on the phone (sincerely, I was - it's not her fault) - I just have no idea why they would yank around a long-time loyal customer like this.  Man, I wish I'd just taken the cash out option.  I would have somehow come out ahead financially even though the cruise I booked is cheaper than the one for which I got the original credit.  Not to mention the hours and aggravation that have accompanied re-booking.  Great way to thank those that let you hold their money interest-free for a year and a half.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

I'm sure that RCL will be crushed to hear that a customer who booked a $399 cruise is never, ever going to book another cruise with them and neither will all of their family, all Emerald or above and 20+ year "loyal to Royal" cruisers.

I'm certain that you will find the customer service much, much better at Carnival or MSC...😑

Hope you are able to make the best out of your situation.  As another poster suggested, if you can tone down the vitriol, you might consider contacting Michael Bayley and calmly and dispassionately expressing your disappointment.  Keep it short and simple.  Perhaps they will work to make it right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

I'll do that, thanks.  I'll be as pleasant as I was to the rep on the phone (sincerely, I was - it's not her fault) - I just have no idea why they would yank around a long-time loyal customer like this. 

OP your situation sucks, good luck and please let us know how you go

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Not that it does you any good whatsoever, but as soon as they started cancelling, I took the cash refund for EVERY SINGLE CRUISE without a second thought.

Me too, I was fairly sure that the terrible IT and hit and miss central customer service would not manage the processes well!

(Until I caved and took an FCC for a 2022 cruise cancellation…….we will see how that goes 😁)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DMWT Cruiser said:

I'm certain that you will find the customer service much, much better at Carnival or MSC...

You’d be surprised. Carnival fully refunded my credit card within 10 days of canceling my cruise. And I still don’t know how, but MSC managed to apply a future cruise credit from a cruise that they canceled to a new reservation. Then applied funds from another booking that I voluntarily canceled to that new reservation, all in one very pleasant call and maybe 20-30 minutes of my time. 

To the OP, I agree with others. Keep your communication short, to the point, and void of emotions. Hope you can get everything squared away!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Not that it does you any good whatsoever, but as soon as they started cancelling, I took the cash refund for EVERY SINGLE CRUISE without a second thought.

So did my mother, my brothers, my friend - I was the only dope that took the FCC.  It wasn't really about the 125% because I just assumed they'd jack the rates up 25% anyway, but I really wanted to support the company by not joining the land rush to get money back.  I'm not even a shareholder, just a sucker, apparently.

17 minutes ago, DMWT Cruiser said:

I'm sure that RCL will be crushed to hear that a customer who booked a $399 cruise is never, ever going to book another cruise with them and neither will all of their family, all Emerald or above and 20+ year "loyal to Royal" cruisers.

I'm certain that you will find the customer service much, much better at Carnival or MSC...😑

Hope you are able to make the best out of your situation.  As another poster suggested, if you can tone down the vitriol, you might consider contacting Michael Bayley and calmly and dispassionately expressing your disappointment.  Keep it short and simple.  Perhaps they will work to make it right.

The only reason I was booked on an inexpensive short cruise is because my mother was going and she's on a fixed income and won't let us pay for her.  She took us on a bunch of cruises when we were young and her health is rapidly deteriorating and she is no longer able to get around well, so she can't travel to ports that are far away and can't be on a ship longer than a few days.  We wanted to go on one last cruise with her while she still could.  I typically book suites on 7+ day cruises and have spent probably 6 figures over the years with RCL.  Same for both my brothers.  You can save the commentary.  I'm also a business owner and ALL my customers are important to me, not just the high rollers.  It would matter to me and it should matter to them.

I did exactly that.  We'll see.  I'm not hopeful.

• Like 25

@Evilgrin72 I would suggest using a reputable TA in the future. During the spat of cancellations last year, I was so glad to have a TA to be my buffer between the cruise lines and my wishes and desires. She kept me in the loop every step of the way and I did not have to spend 1 minute on the phone with anyone from the cruise line. Sometimes a TA can be your best asset.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tapi said:

You’d be surprised. Carnival fully refunded my credit card within 10 days of canceling my cruise. And I still don’t know how, but MSC managed to apply a future cruise credit from a cruise that they canceled to a new reservation. Then applied funds from another booking that I voluntarily canceled to that new reservation, all in one very pleasant call and maybe 20-30 minutes of my time. 

To the OP, I agree with others. Keep your communication short, to the point, and void of emotions. Hope you can get everything squared away!

That's how it should have gone here too, I have no idea what on Earth is going on.  I did exactly that.  Thanks for the well-wishes and I will let you know how it turns out.

2 minutes ago, binro01 said:

@Evilgrin72 I would suggest using a reputable TA in the future. During the spat of cancellations last year, I was so glad to have a TA to be my buffer between the cruise lines and my wishes and desires. She kept me in the loop every step of the way and I did not have to spend 1 minute on the phone with anyone from the cruise line. Sometimes a TA can be your best asset.

I used to do that - in fact, the original booking I made in June 2019 for the canceled 2020 cruise was made with a TA.  Once it got canceled and the FCCs were issued, I booked the replacement cruise myself directly with RCL.  Another mistake.

I hope you can enjoy yourself on your cruise.  A few years ago we got shafted too, but I think it was NCL.  We ended up going on the cruise and not spending one cent extra. We had a wonderful time eating at the free restaurants and partaking in the free activities. We didn’t even give them our credit card when we boarded. Have a great trip!  Who needs their jewelry, perfume or play their ripoff bingo games anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

I hope you can enjoy yourself on your cruise.  A few years ago we got shafted too, but I think it was NCL.  We ended up going on the cruise and not spending one cent extra. We had a wonderful time eating at the free restaurants and partaking in the free activities. We didn’t even give them our credit card when we boarded. Have a great trip!  Who needs their jewelry, perfume or play their ripoff bingo games anyway. 

I have UBPs and WiFi packages booked for myself and the wife.  It might be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I'm strongly considering canceling all of that.  Not that big a deal to unplug and stay sober for 5 days.  I'll save a hell of a lot more than they're bleeding out of me.  Plus, I can get loaded off of cheap beer in Cozumel off-ship if I really want to party one day.  I wonder how long I can get away with counting cards at the blackjack table before they catch on and back me off.  🤣  With my luck, I'd probably lose anyway.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

I took refunds for every single canceled Royal Caribbean cruise except one.  Never again will I take an FCC.  I thought, “It is only $214 pp, what could possibly go wrong?”  First, they issued my SO’s FCC to the person I had previously cruised with, right up until his death in 2017.  He died before the cruise was even available to be booked and was at no time on the booking.  It just went downhill from there, including making a math error when eventually applying the FCCs that resulted in a $486 deposit shown for a cruise that required a $500 deposit.  So, they cancelled that cruise over an erroneous $14 shortage.   There were many more errors made, but my TA spent a lot of time and effort trying to straighten it out and eventually it was (mostly) corrected.  A valuable lesson was learned, and there will be no more FCCs for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Friends of ours had a Baltics cruise planned for July of 2020.  Then covid  hit.  Their cruise got cancelled, and they took the credit for their deposit.  We planned a cruise to Canada for Oct. 2021.  Since they had $900 credit from their cancelled cruise, they tried to use that for their deposit for Canada.  RCI said they could not do that.  They had to pay another $900 deposit for this cruise.  so they are now $1800 in.  Fast forward, and RCI sells the ship we are suppose to be sailing on.  So no cruise for us.  We took the refund, and so did our friends.  RCI sent them $900 from their new deposit.  They still have the original $900.  Now we are all going to Hawaii next Oct. so they had to pay another $900 deposit, and they have $900 in FCC.  Now RCI told them they have to use their FCC on sailings before Oct.1, 2022.  Our TA spent 3 hours on the phone trying to get an exception.  Finally, RCI relented.  They really are exhausting.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Evilgrin72 said:

I'd be livid too.  Their customer service has been subpar in the instances that I've dealt with them recently.  A shame because I like their ships.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I took refunds for every single canceled Royal Caribbean cruise except one.  Never again will I take an FCC.  I thought, “It is only $214 pp, what could possibly go wrong?”  First, they issued my SO’s FCC to the person I had previously cruised with, right up until his death in 2017.  He died before the cruise was even available to be booked and was at no time on the booking.  It just went downhill from there, including making a math error when eventually applying the FCCs that resulted in a $486 deposit shown for a cruise that required a $500 deposit.  So, they cancelled that cruise over an erroneous $14 shortage.   There were many more errors made, but my TA spent a lot of time and effort trying to straighten it out and eventually it was (mostly) corrected.  A valuable lesson was learned, and there will be no more FCCs for me.

I wish I'd read/heeded stories like these before I took the FCC.  I would have grabbed the cash and run.  I would have saved money over and above the 25% AND not had to go through all this aggravation.  What a fool I am.  I actually thought I was helping RCCL.  🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evilgrin72 said:

I wish I'd read/heeded stories like these before I took the FCC.  I would have grabbed the cash and run.  I would have saved money over and above the 25% AND not had to go through all this aggravation.  What a fool I am.  I actually thought I was helping RCCL.  🤣

Alas, hindsight is always 20/20   😞 

• Like 3

I feel your pain and couldn't resist clicking, what a headline!!  They can't explain what happened to my $1323 FCC.  It's just gone.  Do send a concise email to M Bayley, they're very good there.  They ended up giving me credit to replace the missing FCC.  Take a deep breath, send only the facts and see if they can help you.  Good luck and never say never, lol. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

I feel your pain and couldn't resist clicking, what a headline!!  They can't explain what happened to my $1323 FCC.  It's just gone.  Do send a concise email to M Bayley, they're very good there.  They ended up giving me credit to replace the missing FCC.  Take a deep breath, send only the facts and see if they can help you.  Good luck and never say never, lol. 

I would have really been pissed if this was over that amount of money. As it is, it's not about the cash, it's the principle of the matter. If I hadn't even called today to get a status on the refund, I'd at least be able to cruise without giving them another 200 bucks. All this is because of incompetence on RCL's part, but I'm expected to take it on the chin as a result. But hey, I can get another FCC so I can spend more money to get back what you owe me. GTFOH. 

Edited by Evilgrin72
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Evilgrin72 said:

The only reason I was booked on an inexpensive short cruise is because my mother was going and she's on a fixed income and won't let us pay for her.  She took us on a bunch of cruises when we were young and her health is rapidly deteriorating and she is no longer able to get around well, so she can't travel to ports that are far away and can't be on a ship longer than a few days.  We wanted to go on one last cruise with her while she still could.  I typically book suites on 7+ day cruises and have spent probably 6 figures over the years with RCL.  Same for both my brothers.  You can save the commentary.  I'm also a business owner and ALL my customers are important to me, not just the high rollers.  It would matter to me and it should matter to them.

I did exactly that.  We'll see.  I'm not hopeful.

That person's comments were no reflexion on you and you owed no explanation.

As far as FCCs go, I've always been more comfortable with my money sitting in my bank account. Stories like yours just reinforce my stance. Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

That person's comments were no reflexion on you and you owed no explanation.

As far as FCCs go, I've always been more comfortable with my money sitting in my bank account. Stories like yours just reinforce my stance. Goid luck.

I just don't care for the "I'm sure they'll miss you" garbage. I'm in the business of customer satisfaction myself. If RCL doesn't value my business, I'll happily give it to Carnival or Princess. 

You're a wise man, thanks for the well wishes. 

• Like 6