Oddball question

PurpleHays

I've been asked by a friend to take pictures at her 82 year old mother's wedding this weekend. She knows I am purely an amateur photographer and only do it for fun. They were just engaged this past Saturday, and at their age, why waste time on a long engagement? 

I have a bottom-end Sony Alpha 37. I'm planning to use my 75-300 tele on a tripod from the back of the sanctuary during the ceremony and my 18-135 during the reception. Or, depending on the size of the audience, I might just use the 18-135 and move around during the ceremony. I realize I could probably take higher quality photos with my Note 20, but I asked them to get a memory card and I'm just going to pop it out and give it to them before my husband and I leave.

So, as a pure amateur, should I just leave my camera on full auto with auto white balance? I was thinking about using the Superior Auto setting, but I have others to chose from.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. I don't expect to shoot anything high-grade professional, but I do want to do a good job.

Christy (who is shaking in her heels at the unexpected opportunity)

20211102_205221.jpg

Edited by PurpleHays
Edit to show options

Maybe if you posted this on the Sony Alpha forum on dpreview.com, someone who knows this camera could help you.

Do you shoot much indoors? Maybe you could do some practice shots in a place with similar lighting to see if your ideas work.

Look at some wedding photos, so you have an idea about how to pose the wedding party and what things you need to pay attention to (e.g. plants sprouting from heads).

• Like 2

With the idea of moving around during the ceremony, you need to make sure you have permission from the priest. Some are very strict about what they allow photographers do.

Also, have a clear idea which way the bride, groom and celebrant will be facing. Backs of heads not ideal.

• Like 1

I photographed a wedding for a low-income family a number of years ago as my present to the couple.  The priest asked me to stand behind him and literally put my camera on his shoulder during part of the ceremony to ensure that the event captured the couple's faces.  The young couple had talked to the priest before the ceremony and I was shocked when I was invited to join him. 

Do not be intrusive but be prepared to be included. 

As previously stated, practice with the lighting in similar location.  Indoor photos will have color casts from bulbs that are not the same color as sunlight.  Remember to change your camera white balance when you go inside AND do not forget to change back when you are outside.  If in doubt, stay with AUTO and keep your fingers crossed.

Don't forget that you are not a pro and lots of photos will show that.  Hope for a few good shots out of hundreds you need to take.  Make sure the couple knows that when you hand the your memory card.

• Like 2

I have taken several weddings as a favor to friends and family members and the comments about getting those few great shots out of hundreds taken is absolutely true. The A37 has the Sweet-Sixteen sensor that Sony used in a lot of successful cameras and if you set your camera on Superior Auto or Auto, you should be able to get some great shots. If you plan on using your long lens, keep in mind that shadows from the lens hood can be a problem if the built-in flash is used. Also be careful of Auto-ISO if the venue is dark. I don't know if you can limit the maximum ISO that Auto will go to but if you can, I would cap it at ISO1600. The 16MP sensor struggles with noise above that.

I am no pro, but here's a link to my attempts at wedding photography if you want to get some ideas for shots.

Weddings (pptphoto.com)

Good luck!

Dave

5 hours ago, pierces said:

I have taken several weddings as a favor to friends and family members and the comments about getting those few great shots out of hundreds taken is absolutely true. The A37 has the Sweet-Sixteen sensor that Sony used in a lot of successful cameras and if you set your camera on Superior Auto or Auto, you should be able to get some great shots. If you plan on using your long lens, keep in mind that shadows from the lens hood can be a problem if the built-in flash is used. Also be careful of Auto-ISO if the venue is dark. I don't know if you can limit the maximum ISO that Auto will go to but if you can, I would cap it at ISO1600. The 16MP sensor struggles with noise above that.

I am no pro, but here's a link to my attempts at wedding photography if you want to get some ideas for shots.

Weddings (pptphoto.com)

Good luck!

Dave

I loved your photo gallery. It gave me some ideas.

I just checked and the Superior Auto setting won't let me adjust the ISO. A test shot in my dark-ish office had it at 3200, but I was able to get a fairly clear shot of a plant in the unlit next room.  I tried the other settings, but the shots weren't as clear. I am planning to go to the church a little early and try to take some test shots. Pat (the BFF of about 30 years) plans to get with her mother and get a list of the shots they really want--I think mostly family shots. As I don't know the groom's family, I'll need them pointed out to me. As I understand, there are a combined three children, one grandchild, and one great granchild. The baby just turned one, so I should get some cute shots of her. She absolutely needs *more* people to spoil her rotten.

The forecast is for overcast skies, so at least I shouldn't be battling bright sun, just darkness and shadows I do know where to change the white balance to adjust for that. I looked up the church, but they didn't have any pictures of the sanctuary that  could tell how many windows there were or how big/clear/stained glass.

I'm excited and terrified. I've said for a long time that photography would be my next (expensive) hobby. So far, it's just one body and several lenses. I'd love to upgrade, but now I need a whole new system or an adaptor to keep all my lenses since Sony is doing away with the A mount.

Thanks everybody for all the advice.

• Like 1

Good luck for this task, although I'm bit worried that your lenses might not be the best possible options for low light situations (unless you use flash).

And if you're happy with your current camera, I see no need to hastily change into a new system just because there won't be new equipment for A mount. Actually now might be a good time to grab some (second-hand) bangains since prices for A mount gear are going down due to low demand. Pity that the event is so soon, otherwise I would have suggested to look for a F2.8 zoom.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hezu said:

Good luck for this task, although I'm bit worried that your lenses might not be the best possible options for low light situations (unless you use flash).

And if you're happy with your current camera, I see no need to hastily change into a new system just because there won't be new equipment for A mount. Actually now might be a good time to grab some (second-hand) bangains since prices for A mount gear are going down due to low demand. Pity that the event is so soon, otherwise I would have suggested to look for a F2.8 zoom.

I have actually been looking for used bodies to upgrade, but haven't seen any. Then again, I generally look at my local shops (online) and B&H. I don't look on Amazon.

3 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I have actually been looking for used bodies to upgrade, but haven't seen any. Then again, I generally look at my local shops (online) and B&H. I don't look on Amazon.

Sony Alpha SLT-A77 Digital Camera Body, Black {24.3MP} at KEH Camera

Then again, for few dollars more, you could get a new A6000 which is what I replaced my A77 with when I moved away form the A-mount. 

If you are ready to invest a bit more, you could get an A6600 with the new 18-135 zoom and be "loaded for bear", so to speak. I have been very impressed with my A6600. Add a 70-300G zoom later and you would be covered for most circumstances. There are also a ton of fun inexpensive manual lenses for the E-mount because of its popularity.

Decisions, decisions... 🙂

Dave 

• Like 1

Dammit Dave! Stop tempting me!  Hubby and I discussed upgrading on the way to the wedding. If I'm willing to wait a couple of years, I can get as much as I want since the house will be paid off. Or, I could look at the A77 you shared--it should work as a bridge until I can upgrade my entire set up. Hmmmm.

As expected, I got some good, some bad, and some ugly shots. These two are my favorite faceless shots. I am upset that so many are blurry, but I've never shot a wedding.  I was able to move around during the ceremony and opted to stay mostly on one side so I wouldn't be too much of a distraction. I was on the bride's side, so I got more of the (93 year old) groom. She *sang* to him during her part of the vows--not a dry eye in the house. The bride and groom thanked me several times.

And, as an unexpected bonus, they paid me. I didn't expect it since I did it because the bride is like my second mother.

DSC06718.JPG

DSC07026.JPG

Edited by PurpleHays
to put space between photos
  • Like 2

A friend told me long ago that the best pictures comes from the person behind the camera. Look at the equipment Ansel Adams and others used for their great photographs. However, 99.9% of the people taking pictures do not have their capabilities and I am definitely one of them. That is where great cameras and software can help. I used Topaz and DxO trials to do some tests. They help really bad pictures come out better and do even more with good pictures. The other part that comes into play is the lens in most cases is more important than the camera. If I had money to burn right now, I would be looking at moving to the Sony A7iv. But that is many years away and it will probably be a different camera then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I thought about that, but we set it aside to go for a nice dinner when I take (my) Dave to a concert for his Christmas present.

Can't argue with that!

Congrats on surviving your first wedding behind the lens!

Dave

• Like 1