FLL Hotels Which One...

kfs44

Hello - Leaving out of Port Everglades...which one is the better choice?    Looking for things that are in walking distance i.e.  restaurants/shopping..

Holiday Inn Express 

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Marina

Hilton Marina

Thank you.

Hi. The Holiday Inn Express and Renaissance are almost across the street from each other on SE 17 Street. There's a great restaurant next to the Renaissance, The Boatyard. It isn't cheap but I think it's worth it. There's a plaza near by with Total Wine and Publix. And then my husband's favorite, The Quarterdeck, is a short walk. Good food and beer, a local pub. I think the Marina is on the other side of the intracoastal bridge so a longer walk. We're staying at the HI Express for the first time in a few weeks. I'll try to remember to let you know how it is! We've always stayed at Embassy Suites but the last time we were there, it was bad. Elevators weren't working, it was dirty and mobbed. We decided then not to go back there.

34 minutes ago, Mcgeneseo said:

Hi. The Holiday Inn Express and Renaissance are almost across the street from each other on SE 17 Street. There's a great restaurant next to the Renaissance, The Boatyard. It isn't cheap but I think it's worth it. There's a plaza near by with Total Wine and Publix. And then my husband's favorite, The Quarterdeck, is a short walk. Good food and beer, a local pub. I think the Marina is on the other side of the intracoastal bridge so a longer walk. We're staying at the HI Express for the first time in a few weeks. I'll try to remember to let you know how it is! We've always stayed at Embassy Suites but the last time we were there, it was bad. Elevators weren't working, it was dirty and mobbed. We decided then not to go back there.

Agree with all the above. We've stayed at the Renaissance, great, full service hotel, arguably the closest to the Eisenhower entrance to PE. Stayed once at the HI Express, but tend to book the Hyatt Place (we'll be there in three weeks). The Hilton Marina isn't on the other side of the bridge, that's the Pier 66 which is under long term renovation so not available. People seem to like the Hilton, especially since selecting the right room gives amazing views of the ships at PE. If selecting the Hilton, do your homework as to the right room class to book so you get the best views.  Absolutely agree on the Boatyard, great open air waterfront dining right on the channel.

Best to hit Google Maps and get a feel for the 17th street area, it will give you a great idea of the relative locations of the hotels, restaurants, Publix, Total Wines etc.  Have a great trip.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:14 PM, hollon said:

some of the reviews for the Renaissance says it's outdated and not the typical Renaissance, what do yall think. I have points and it'll be free so thats good, but I like a clean nice hotel.

The Renaissance was fine when we stayed there a few years ago. I like the Hilton Marina if you have time to enjoy its location--closer to the water taxi stop. We like to walk to the top of the bridge the morning of a cruise so that we can see our ship waiting for us. It's also close enough to walk to Publix, Total Wine, and Walgreens for any last-minute needs. 

The Bimini Boatyard has happy hour specials that you can make a meal. 

I hve reservations at Springhill Suites, 18th St Dania Beach

and

Residence Inn Anglers Ave, Dania Beach

we don't get in until 6-m

need a quick place for dinner and late morning convenience store before we head to cruise

which do you prefer?  both booked with points

thanks

14 hours ago, marty's mom said:

I hve reservations at Springhill Suites, 18th St Dania Beach

and

Residence Inn Anglers Ave, Dania Beach

we don't get in until 6-m

need a quick place for dinner and late morning convenience store before we head to cruise

which do you prefer?  both booked with points

thanks

Very limited decent dinner time dining options near either one.  Springhill has more, but a bit of a walk to them.  Residence I think has the fish house only.

Shopping is better at Springhill, but not by alot for what you want.  I think the nearby Kmart has closed (thats where we used to go for convenience items).

My advice - call both places and ask the front desk.  I am sure they can help you since this type of question is asked alot to them.

I'm a Hilton Marina fan.  I stayed there back in early March, look for my review in this sub with photos.  Book a "high floor water view" and you'll get either port views or views looking north up the intracoastal.  The pool is great, and has a nice little poolside bar with good food.  Marina is in walking distance to lots of restaurants up 17th.  The water taxi stops right at the hotel as well.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JerseyGirlJen said:

I'm a Hilton Marina fan.  I stayed there back in early March, look for my review in this sub with photos.  Book a "high floor water view" and you'll get either port views or views looking north up the intracoastal.  The pool is great, and has a nice little poolside bar with good food.  Marina is in walking distance to lots of restaurants up 17th.  The water taxi stops right at the hotel as well.  

I am looking at the Hilton Marina for an April overnight pre-cruise stay. If I book the high floor option, can I request the port view after booking?  Also, can I walk to the port or do I need to take a cab?

Thanks

9 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Also, can I walk to the port or do I need to take a cab?

It is an easy walk if your ship is at terminal 2 or 4 and you don't have too much luggage.  Otherwise it is longer, hotter, and noisier (Port Everglades is a large cargo port too) to the other terminals.  Check out google maps and the map on the Port Everglades website: file:///C:/Users/jalap/AppData/Local/Temp/Port_Map_Updated_March_8_2021_ENG_mech_1ce7de69-23d3-491e-abf8-d71f82a1a04b.pdf

The Hilton Marina is on the north side of 17th Street at the public viewing (binoculars) icon west of the bridge.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

I am looking at the Hilton Marina for an April overnight pre-cruise stay. If I book the high floor option, can I request the port view after booking?  Also, can I walk to the port or do I need to take a cab?

Thanks

From what I've heard you can request port side if you call them after you book.  If you are a Hilton Honors member you can pick your room approximately 24 hours prior to arrival.  If you're not a member, sign up.  I booked via Hotwire so didn't get to use that option on my trip, but I have chosen my room at other Hilton properties in the past.  

You will need to take a cab or Uber to the port.  Even though you're so close you can practically touch it, it will be a long walk to your terminal with luggage.

@waiting2retire - what cruise line are you sailing?  Terminal 2 is the Princess terminal so if you are cruising on them (and are the only Princess ship in port that day) you should be fine.  Pre-covid if there were multiple Princess ships in port terminal 2 usually went to the Royal class ship and the smaller ship was usually at terminal 21 but who knows what will happen now.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise on Princess. We stayed at the Hilton Marina for 2 days pre-cruise and one day post. It is a very convenient location. As mentioned Terminal 2 is right across the street, though the construction site of the new convention center isn't pleasant to look at and can be dusty.

The new lobby and room decor is very attractive, and the restaurant will be reopening soon. There is a small snack bar with prepackaged sandwiches, cheese and nut plates, etc. for breakfast if you wish. We ate lunch outside, choice of under a tent or tables near the pool bar. You place your order at the bar and they bring it to you, very good and very convenient. The pool area is very clean. The staff was helpful. Cruise turnaround days can be very busy at the front desk, not surprisingly.

We are HH members and when I booked a high floor king on their website there was a place for special requests. We requested a marina side north view and that is what we got (I had heard that the port side balconies could be noisy from 17). We liked the shaded balcony and boat watching. There is a daily resort fee added but DH is a Hilton Gold member so we got the fee back as a credit for hotel charges, which helped pay for our bar tab. We're planning to stay there again for our next cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MJC said:

We just returned from a cruise on Princess. We stayed at the Hilton Marina for 2 days pre-cruise and one day post. It is a very convenient location. As mentioned Terminal 2 is right across the street, though the construction site of the new convention center isn't pleasant to look at and can be dusty.

The new lobby and room decor is very attractive, and the restaurant will be reopening soon. There is a small snack bar with prepackaged sandwiches, cheese and nut plates, etc. for breakfast if you wish. We ate lunch outside, choice of under a tent or tables near the pool bar. You place your order at the bar and they bring it to you, very good and very convenient. The pool area is very clean. The staff was helpful. Cruise turnaround days can be very busy at the front desk, not surprisingly.

We are HH members and when I booked a high floor king on their website there was a place for special requests. We requested a marina side north view and that is what we got (I had heard that the port side balconies could be noisy from 17). We liked the shaded balcony and boat watching. There is a daily resort fee added but DH is a Hilton Gold member so we got the fee back as a credit for hotel charges, which helped pay for our bar tab. We're planning to stay there again for our next cruise.

We also just stayed there , same experience, be nice when indoor restaurant open, loved seeing our ship from balcony when we woke up , also gold Hilton honors so paid with points.

• Like 1