Expired Nexus

Have you attempted to renew them? The process has changed, and in most cases no interview is required. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/new-nouvel-eng.html

If you had renewed online before the cards' expiry dates, you would have been able to use the expired cards while waiting for the new ones. As you let them expire without renewing, they can not be used. 

32 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Fouremcowe did let them expire and of course they're not taking appointments for appointments.

At least our passports still have 'life' left in them.

Thanks

I don't know where I saw it, but I read something very recently saying that when the border opens on November 8th, application processing and interviews when required will resume.

I recently renewed mine as it was set to expire in April 2022. Based on the info provided I am not expecting to have the application processed any time soon. 
This info is on the Homeland Security portal once I log in

Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 18 months to 24 months for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 24 months while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.
You become eligible to renew your membership 1 year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 24 months after your membership expiration date. Follow these steps to renew your Trusted Traveler membership:

Edited by Janedoe2012
Spelling error

I am not certain where the original poster lives but as someone who lives in Niagara here is a tip that was helpful before the borders closed.

There is a NEXUS enrollment center on the Canadian side of the border in Fort Erie. This is the one CSBA lists on website.

There is also a NEXUS center on US side of the border at the Whirlpool bridge in Niagara Falls. It’s a 5 minute drive from the Rainbow bridge. If you have to make an appointment for an interview, Whirlpool will be an option in the portal. Before Covid, there seemed to be less of a wait to get an appointment. ( plus they were open weekends)

I actually paid a visit to the CBSA office at Montreal airport just a few days ago to ask about protocols relating to possible COVID positive results before flying home to Canada, and I took the opportunity to ask the surprisingly helpful and friendly agent about my expired NEXUS card. It's date of expiration was August 2020, and I had submitted my renewal request a few months previous to that date, in April. I received my conditional approval very quickly, but of course my possible interview was put off indefinitely. I asked the CBSA agent about my card and he said I should have no problem using it despite it being expired. As pointed out above, these conditional renewals like mine come with a 24 month "extension". Before I even asked him, he  went as far as to volunteer that he personally knew of cases where people had used expired NEXUS cards with no problem. I'm planning to use mine in a few weeks at YUL, FLL and Port Everglades. We'll see what happens ;o)  As always, YMMV

• Like 2

All this talk about Nexus renewals made me check mine and even though it doesn't expire until May 2022, I am going to go and renew it online now simply because I'm apt to completely forget about it if I don't.   Between my expired driver's license and expired health card, the last thing I need is another "expiration".  🙄

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hancogran said:

All this talk about Nexus renewals made me check mine and even though it doesn't expire until May 2022, I am going to go and renew it online now simply because I'm apt to completely forget about it if I don't.   Between my expired driver's license and expired health card, the last thing I need is another "expiration".  🙄

One of the things I love about digital calendars is being able to put in reminders years ahead of time. How else would I remember to buy a special treat for the family pooch on his birthday? :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

One of the things I love about digital calendars is being able to put in reminders years ahead of time. How else would I remember to buy a special treat for the family pooch on his birthday? :classic_biggrin:

You're a smart man, and your pooch is a lucky dog!   😊

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hancogran said:

Between my expired driver's license and expired health card, the last thing I need is another "expiration".  🙄

We're at the age where it's OK to say, "Better our cards expire than we do!"😜

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

We're at the age where it's OK to say, "Better our cards expire than we do!"😜

Ruth

🤣 Great minds think alike!   That was my exact thought when I typed the word "expiration"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roxxy said:

My card expired in September of 20.  I did the on line renewal and no new interview was required.

New card with new 5 year expiry showed up in the mail 3 weeks later!

That seems to be the trend with renewals. My card expired around the very start of the pandemic early last year, so I was given a conditional approval (currently good for 24 months, so ending this coming April). I was scheduled for another interview, which is still on hold indefinitely. Other luckier folks like you, who renewed later in 2020 or this year seem to have been given a full renewal with no need for an interview.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email from NEXUS yesterday.  The part of most interest is as follows:

"We wanted to provide you with updates on many developments within the NEXUS program.

NEXUS and FAST interviews will resume at enrolment centres in the United States (US) on November 29, 2021. Applicants wishing to schedule interviews can now do so at their nearest US enrolment centre through the Trusted Traveller Programs system. NEXUS and FAST enrolment centres in Canada continue to be closed.

Existing NEXUS and FAST members who renew their membership before the expiry date on their card will retain membership privileges until they can complete their interview. Please renew your membership before it expires to avoid losing your privileges."

There was other information about recently installed electronic gates at Pearson for NEXUS travellers and a bit about ensuring vaccinations and ArriveCAN stuff.

Since we were able to renew our cards a number of months ago before they expired we're good for another 5 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thon said:

Got an email from NEXUS yesterday.  The part of most interest is as follows:

"We wanted to provide you with updates on many developments within the NEXUS program.

NEXUS and FAST interviews will resume at enrolment centres in the United States (US) on November 29, 2021. Applicants wishing to schedule interviews can now do so at their nearest US enrolment centre through the Trusted Traveller Programs system. NEXUS and FAST enrolment centres in Canada continue to be closed.

Existing NEXUS and FAST members who renew their membership before the expiry date on their card will retain membership privileges until they can complete their interview. Please renew your membership before it expires to avoid losing your privileges."

There was other information about recently installed electronic gates at Pearson for NEXUS travellers and a bit about ensuring vaccinations and ArriveCAN stuff.

Since we were able to renew our cards a number of months ago before they expired we're good for another 5 years.

We received the same Email. I renewed my card in April 2020 and received only a conditional renewal, with a requirement to come back in for an interview when they re-open. I wasn't one of the lucky folks who got a full renewal for the 5 years. They gave us 24 months extended coverage so I'm OK if I can get the interview done before next April.

40 minutes ago, Janedoe2012 said:

I just received official notice my renewal was completed. No interview required. This occurred approximately 4 weeks after I submitted the renewal request. 

Same happened to us earlier this year.  Once renewed we got our new cards in the mail a few weeks later.  No idea why some of us are lucky to get an almost automatic renewal while others get a temporary one until they can schedule an interview once the centres open up again.  But then, NEXUS is run by the government!😁

1 hour ago, thon said:

Same happened to us earlier this year.  Once renewed we got our new cards in the mail a few weeks later.  No idea why some of us are lucky to get an almost automatic renewal while others get a temporary one until they can schedule an interview once the centres open up again.  But then, NEXUS is run by the government!😁

A streamlined renewal process was introduced some time before the pandemic, and it's no longer necessary for everyone renewing to attend an interview. Generally, those who have not had changes to their information and have maintained their low-risk status won't require an interview.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

A streamlined renewal process was introduced some time before the pandemic, and it's no longer necessary for everyone renewing to attend an interview. Generally, those who have not had changes to their information and have maintained their low-risk status won't require an interview.

I'm one of the unlucky ones who only received a conditional renewal requiring a followup interview. From reading many of these NEXUS renewal posts here on CC, it appears that the common thread is early renewal near the start of the pandemic like me results in only a conditional OK, while folks who renewed later in the year, or this year seemed to get the full 5 year approval.

59 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I'm one of the unlucky ones who only received a conditional renewal requiring a followup interview. From reading many of these NEXUS renewal posts here on CC, it appears that the common thread is early renewal near the start of the pandemic like me results in only a conditional OK, while folks who renewed later in the year, or this year seemed to get the full 5 year approval.

All initial applications as well as renewals are subject to criminal and intelligence records checks. At the beginning of the pandemic, when the work force wasn't overly affected, US and Canadian officials were probably able to keep up with the volume and renewals were fully approved. But as we progressed further into the pandemic and the work force was reduced, I suspect that they were unable to keep up with records checks and consequently resorted to issuing conditional approvals.