Planner cancelations after Royal Up

My friend and I have a bid in for a Junior Suite on Odyssey for later this month. We purchased the Key months ago. I know if we have our bid accepted, suites include some of the Key features, like designated seating areas at shows. If we are upgraded after cruise planner changes are closed (48 hours before sail) can we still cancel the key on board? We'd hate to pay for something we're already getting... 

2 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

My friend and I have a bid in for a Junior Suite on Odyssey for later this month. We purchased the Key months ago. I know if we have our bid accepted, suites include some of the Key features, like designated seating areas at shows. If we are upgraded after cruise planner changes are closed (48 hours before sail) can we still cancel the key on board? We'd hate to pay for something we're already getting... 

You won't be getting any of the perks offered in the Key if you are upgraded to a Junior Suite. Junior Suites do not receive any suite benefits other than robes and double points. BTW, if your bid is successful, you will not even receive the double points - just the robes.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

BTW, if your bid is successful, you will not even receive the double points - just the robes.

It seems like the OP booked the sailing months ago, so that would have been under the double point promo, so they'll get double points, just not any extra expected for a JS. Also, in some ports, if available, you can use the suite line when in a JS, which is kinda like one of the perks of the Key.

1 minute ago, B&J_Pgh said:

First what is this "Key"?

Second is the like that Biker19 refers to for getting onto the ship?

I was told there is no priority boarding for C&A rank during COVID. 

The "Key" is a cruise planner item you can buy that comes with internet and some other special perks like early boarding, boarding day lunch, carry on luggage and a bunch of other perks. One of them is a reserved seating area for the Key at the shows.  Since COVID the Key has either not been offered on sailings or for the ones is is starting to be offered on have modified perks. 

Either way, there's not much in crossover in perks for a JS.

26 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It seems like the OP booked the sailing months ago, so that would have been under the double point promo, so they'll get double points, just not any extra expected for a JS. Also, in some ports, if available, you can use the suite line when in a JS, which is kinda like one of the perks of the Key.

While they probably will get 14 points from their original booking (presuming a 7 day cruise) under the now expired promotion, they will not get the other 14 points that a JS would have earned under that same promotion. The bottom line is that doing a RoyalUP to a JS gets you none of the suite perks that a true suite would accrue. Suite lines only exist at tender ports, and currently those are few and far between.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, B&J_Pgh said:

Second is the like that Biker19 refers to for getting onto the ship?

Here are the modified Key perks:

• Enjoy priority access at the terminal within your arrival time. 
  • Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 3 by 2:00 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom. 
  • Instead of a complimentary embarkation lunch, we'll provide you with complimentary room service for your entire cruise, along with 25% off all onboard dining purchases! 
  • Enjoy exclusive time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc. 
  • Priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports. 
  • Take advantage of early access at shows in the Main Theater, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book in advance! 
  • Enjoy our VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest). 
  • On debarkation day, along with choice departure, you'll now have a special "grab and go" bag that includes goodies to enjoy as you may your way back home. 

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Here are the modified Key perks:

• Enjoy priority access at the terminal within your arrival time. 
  • Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 3 by 2:00 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom. 
  • Instead of a complimentary embarkation lunch, we'll provide you with complimentary room service for your entire cruise, along with 25% off all onboard dining purchases! 
  • Enjoy exclusive time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc. 
  • Priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports. 
  • Take advantage of early access at shows in the Main Theater, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book in advance! 
  • Enjoy our VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest). 
  • On debarkation day, along with choice departure, you'll now have a special "grab and go" bag that includes goodies to enjoy as you may your way back home. 

It has been amended again since that was published.

I don't recall all the changes, but there is an actual last day breakfast, and not just the Doggie Bag.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't recall all the changes, but there is an actual last day breakfast, and not just the Doggie Bag.

Right, here's what it says now:

Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1.
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.
• Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu.
• Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.
• Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
• Early access at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater, Studio B and Two70.
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet.
• On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

52 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I should have been more specific and said embarkation ports.

So far the ability to arrive an hour earlier than your scheduled time has only been available to full suite guests. When it says “within your scheduled arrival time” all that means is that you can jump the line that you would have been in instead of going to the back of that line, not that you can arrive an hour early. We are in a JS on 11/21 out of PC and will find out whether we can get checked in early like we have on our last two cruises in a full suite. Other than that highly improbable perk, nothing else on the Key list accrues to a JS. The OP would probably be better off taking the value of their bid plus the value of the Key and comparing that directly to what it would cost to do a regular upgrade to a suite.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Glad to see that was changed. Wonder if its still the steak or crab cake? That was a nice breakfast.