Multiple testing strategy....

NavyCruiser

In preparation for our upcoming flight to Amsterdam for Viking river cruise next week.

All 6 of us are concerned about the 2 days prior to flight PCR testing requirement.

Testing sites around us says 24 - 48 hours results for PCR testing.

So we're thinking about taking the PCR test at a pop-up testing site 3 days prior, & scheduled PCR testing at Walgreens for 9:30 am & at CVS for 10 am  2 days prior to flight, to see who would reply with results first (or in time before flight).

Anyone sees any problems with taking multiple tests?  or is this overkill...?

Thanks, 

52 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

In preparation for our upcoming flight to Amsterdam for Viking river cruise next week.

All 6 of us are concerned about the 2 days prior to flight PCR testing requirement.

Testing sites around us says 24 - 48 hours results for PCR testing.

So we're thinking about taking the PCR test at a pop-up testing site 3 days prior, & scheduled PCR testing at Walgreens for 9:30 am & at CVS for 10 am  2 days prior to flight, to see who would reply with results first (or in time before flight).

Anyone sees any problems with taking multiple tests?  or is this overkill...?

Thanks, 

If you were coming from Canada that would be a very expensive proposition, as we pay a minimum of $200 plus tax for a PCR test for travel. 

28 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

If you were coming from Canada that would be a very expensive proposition, as we pay a minimum of $200 plus tax for a PCR test for travel. 

Luckily, all testing sites in the Houston area are all free/no charge...

I don't think there's any problem with too many tests.  It probably will be overkill.  That said, it's maddeningly frustrating that there is a make or break point  for an entire trip on the timing of a simple test that we don't have any control over.  We live in a rural area and testing options are few.  Since I work full time, taking a day off of work just to drive to the city for more options isn't a great option either.

We ended up doing 2 different sites for our last trip, a day apart.  We got both in time, but it was a nail biter.

• Like 1

Nope, not overkill. We scheduled three tests for one trip. One came back in time and the correct format. Ons came back in time, but didn’t have all the required information, and the third arrived just shortly before our scheduled boarding time.

• Like 1

Just learned from another member on this CC forum that Viking has just now changed their 48 hour testing policy to 72 hours now to fly into Amsterdam.

Called Viking  & rep confirmed the 72 hour req now.

So we've just updated our testing appointment from 2 days back to 3 days prior...

@NavyCruiserWe weren't required to get tested prior to our cruise but we decided sign up for tests to be sure we were asymptomatic. I used a CVS drug store and expected my results in 12 to 48 hours. Jane got her results emailed to her in about 24 hours. I never got an e-mail but I did get a phone call late one night telling me I had a negative result. I think we were about ten days into our cruise by that time. 

I think your idea of an extra test is a good one. 

Paul

• Like 2

Testing is very complicated--so good you confirmed with Viking.

Our cruise line did not require a PCR test, but our airline (TAP Air Portugal) did.  We had our tests exactly 72 hours before departure of our first flight from the United States.  Received our results (from Walgreens) about 32 hours after testing.  All data on the accompanying pdf was correct and in the correct format for the airline, which did check it before allowing us to complete check-in at the airport (MIA).

Returning to the United States, the CDC requires either an antigen or PCR within three days of your first flight if you are fully vaccinated.  Again, TAP had a higher standard--a PCR 72 hours before the first flight.  The concierge at our hotel in Munich provided incorrect information--a testing site much farther away than the one I'd already located online before travel plus he wanted us to have tests to correspond with our arrival in the United States versus time of initial flight.  But I had copied info from the CDC website, so knew what we needed to do.  All was perfectly in order for our return flights.  So, again, it pays to know what you need directly from the source. 

• Like 1

We are flying into Budapest December 4 and my mind has been spinning on the timing for the PCR test!  The Hungarian State Department says the test may not be more than 72 hours old.  They don't specify whether the time is counted from when the test is taken or the results received.  The United Airlines website says the time the results are received but I'm more concerned with the time that Customs in Budapest is looking at.  Am I overthinking this?  Did the results you received show the time the test was taken or the time the results were issued?  I emailed the Hungarian Covid-19 government office but haven't heard back fro them.

1 hour ago, KathyK13 said:

We are flying into Budapest December 4 and my mind has been spinning on the timing for the PCR test!  The Hungarian State Department says the test may not be more than 72 hours old.  They don't specify whether the time is counted from when the test is taken or the results received.  The United Airlines website says the time the results are received but I'm more concerned with the time that Customs in Budapest is looking at.  Am I overthinking this?  Did the results you received show the time the test was taken or the time the results were issued?  I emailed the Hungarian Covid-19 government office but haven't heard back fro them.

My Walgreens test did list the time taken and when the test was reported.

Test Center:          UMMC    CVS      Walgreens

My Actual Test Time    9:30am   3:35pm    4pm

& Hours before Flight   79            72             71.5    

Actually printed on Results Page

7:18pm  3:35pm    8am next day

68            72            59

Edited by NavyCruiser

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW and I got tested at CVS today.  Results in 20 minutes – both negative!

That was fast, congratulations on testing negative!  Was it a PCR test?  Our CVS store doesn't offer quick PCR tests.  

19 minutes ago, KathyK13 said:

That was fast, congratulations on testing negative!  Was it a PCR test?  Our CVS store doesn't offer quick PCR tests.  

Didn't ask.  Don't actually need it to fly to LHR under the latest rules, and the cruise line said they want us to take a test but we don't need to show them the results [huh?] – so I figured any test was good enough.  It looks like the same kind that we had 7 out of 8 times in September for our previous cruise [two of which were the Azova Ellume home supervised tests that Delta had recommended]  Whatever, it's good enough to tell me it's not crazy to get on a plane tomorrow...

The report says "MESA SARS-COV-2 Rapid Results PCR/NAAT Test – Negative"  I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV or the internet, so I have no clue that this means – except that I'm NEGATIVE.  Woo Hoo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The report says "MESA SARS-COV-2 Rapid Results PCR/NAAT Test – Negative"  I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV or the internet, so I have no clue that this means – except that I'm NEGATIVE.  Woo Hoo!

My Walgreens said "IDNOW COVID-18 rapid diagnostic test (nuclear acid application test NAAT). Next line said COVID-19 and then Negative

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Didn't ask.  Don't actually need it to fly to LHR under the latest rules, and the cruise line said they want us to take a test but we don't need to show them the results [huh?] – so I figured any test was good enough.  It looks like the same kind that we had 7 out of 8 times in September for our previous cruise [two of which were the Azova Ellume home supervised tests that Delta had recommended]  Whatever, it's good enough to tell me it's not crazy to get on a plane tomorrow...

Congrats!

The Netherlands doesn't require any testing if we're vaccinated, however, Viking requires PCR test, & not quick antigen test.

The hospital kiosk has quick 15 minute antigen test & 24 hour PCR tests for free.  Quick 4 hour reply PCR test cost $100.

Both CVS & Walgreens 24 hour PCR test are free.

So the best strategy is to fully comply with the airline's, country's, or cruise line's testing policy & get exact test required.  ie:  if they require PCR, then don't just get quick 15 min antigen...

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

The Netherlands doesn't require any testing if we're vaccinated, however, Viking requires PCR test, & not quick antigen test.

The hospital kiosk has quick 15 minute antigen test & 24 hour PCR tests for free.  Quick 4 hour reply PCR test cost $100.

Both CVS & Walgreens 24 hour PCR test are free.

So the best strategy is to fully comply with the airline's, country's, or cruise line's testing policy & get exact test required.  ie:  if they require PCR, then don't just get quick 15 min antigen...

The problem is that there are so many different names for the same tests, that my head spins [and not from Covid symptoms...]  'Lateral flow' 'PCR' 'Antigen' 'Rapid' – you can mix and match these terms ad infinitum.  I wish there was a clear worldwide standard way to specify which test is which.

• Like 2

In my simple mind, any words that relates to:

1.  Antigen = Quick, Rapid, 10 - 60 minutes results.  Mostly free.

- Required when returning/flying back to US

2.  PCR = 24 - 48 - 72 hours results, for free.   Extra fee/charge if you want it in 20 - 60 minutes.

- Required for almost everyone else, esp Viking

Agreed.  It's nerve racking (or is it wrecking?) to wait & anticipate when/if/how/where results came back.  We cancelled a trip to Cancun 2 weeks ago, since we didn't want it to risk it & might get very slight chance of testing positive from their Antigen test, & being stuck down there & won't get back in time to test for this trip.

Can't wait for normalcy to return again...

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

MESA SARS-COV-2 Rapid Results PCR/NAAT Test

My test reads as above (including ‘PCR’), was ready in 20 minutes, and was free (at CVS).   That doesn’t seem to fit either of your categories. That’s why I find it confusing. 

• Like 1