Do You Move Up A VIFP Level During a Cruise?

K_e_short

I posted something on another site and compared what I was trying to say to the VIFP levels of Carnival.

I was then told I was wrong, so am curious if I am in fact wrong.

Do you move up/change vifp levels during a cruise. For example if on the 3rd night of your cruise you move to gold do you get those perks for the rest of the cruise? 

I thought it only changed for your next cruise, including if you do a B2B.

thanks

22 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I posted something on another site and compared what I was trying to say to the VIFP levels of Carnival.

I was then told I was wrong, so am curious if I am in fact wrong.

Do you move up/change vifp levels during a cruise. For example if on the 3rd night of your cruise you move to gold do you get those perks for the rest of the cruise? 

I thought it only changed for your next cruise, including if you do a B2B.

thanks

Yes,  heard for B2Bs, you also get bumped up on the first cruise even tho you change levels on the second cruise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

If you move up to the next level during a cruise you are that new level from the beginning of the cruise and your paperwork will reflect that.

The beginning of that cruise or the next cruise?

So if I hit 25 points/nights on the 6th day of a 7 day cruise does that mean that on day 1 of THAT cruise I'm considered Gold?

1 minute ago, skrufy said:

Yes,  heard for B2Bs, you also get bumped up on the first cruise even tho you change levels on the second cruise.

So if I hit 25 points on the last day of a very long B2B i can actually be Gold on the 1st day of my cruise?

Hmmmm... interesting.

O.k thank you. I was wrong. Although that does make my goal of getting up in the levels more feasible.

1 minute ago, K_e_short said:

The beginning of that cruise or the next cruise?

So if I hit 25 points/nights on the 6th day of a 7 day cruise does that mean that on day 1 of THAT cruise I'm considered Gold?

You are correct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

Yes I did got the Diamond SnS with all the goodies when I went on for the 1st leg even though I was Diamond during the 2nd. But that was a few years ago. 

• Like 1

As Jamman54 and others said, if you will change status from one tier to another (e.g., Gold to Platinum) on an UPCOMING CRUISE, you will attain the higher status (e.g., Platinum) on Day One of that UPCOMING CRUISE and your boarding pass and Sail and Sign card will reflect it.

• Like 2

Where you may have gotten confused is that Carnival is the only line I have cruised on that does it this way. The others all require you to achieve the level before you get any of the perks.  But going from red to gold or gold to platinum doesn't really get you much anyway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Where you may have gotten confused is that Carnival is the only line I have cruised on that does it this way. The others all require you to achieve the level before you get any of the perks.  But going from red to gold or gold to platinum doesn't really get you much anyway.

It's weird that Carnival is the only one that does it.  You've already purchased the days/points. You should get credit for all of them the moment you set foot on the ship.  Also Platinum gets you priority boarding, which ain't nothing.

• Like 2

That is probably why I was confused, if other cruise lines do it differently.

At one point I was eager to stick with one cruise line and work my way thorugh the levels.

Of course for me specifically I will bet at 24 points at the end of my last booked cruise. So I will be Gold on the next cruise but that will still be day 1.

1 hour ago, cerebus76 said:

It's weird that Carnival is the only one that does it.  You've already purchased the days/points. You should get credit for all of them the moment you set foot on the ship.  Also Platinum gets you priority boarding, which ain't nothing.

And Priority Tenders to Shore, free laundry, free chocolate covered fruit plate, Two-Day Early Online Check-In (so you have choice of what time to arrive at the Port), etc...

• Like 4

15 hours ago, cerebus76 said:

Also Platinum gets you priority boarding, which ain't nothing.

Have been Platinum for about 11 years, and the priority boarding is only 1 of 2 perks that is worthwhile to me.  Now, until they revert back to how it was pre covid, you get a two day head start on picking your time slot.  I'm still upset when Carnival sold our hard earned perks via FTTF.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

Just happened to me.  I turned gold officially on the next to last day, but had the full status at boarding.

Thats great. I am excited to hear that I was wrong and that Carnival gives the advantage for this program.