Having your own Smart Phone Required?

Hlitner

19 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but having the ability to obtain QR codes considered "data"?  I have the choice of a plan that is phone only or a plan that is "talk, text, and data".  The "phone" only is what I prefer.  But, I suspect, the need to be able to obtain QR codes in the future will become increasingly important.  

You can always use your home, hotel or other WiFi to obtain your codes.  Be sure to store that code on an app that operates without internet such as photos or apple wallet.  There is usually an option to buy data when you need it instead of paying  for it monthly 

Edited by Mary229
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

You can always use your home, hotel or other WiFi to obtain your codes.  Be sure to store that code on an app that operates without internet such as photos or apple wallet 

But, don't I need a smart phone to do that?  I have no Apple device.  Thanks for your post.  

Just now, rkacruiser said:

But, don't I need a smart phone to do that?  I have no Apple device.  Thanks for your post.  

Oh, you will need a smart phone or you could use a tablet or iPod.    I saw a iPhone7 today for under $100.   There will be some nice deals on Black Friday, there always are.  Maybe a family member has an old one laying around.  You can use an old phone just for WiFi, you don’t have to sign up for a plan. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Oh, you will need a smart phone

You have answered a question that really helps me decide what to do.  Thank you very much.  There is a Samsung Galaxy phone that my cellular provider is offering for a reasonable price and I can keep the provider (which I am 100% satisfied).  

Again, thank you for your reply.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You have answered a question that really helps me decide what to do.  Thank you very much.  There is a Samsung Galaxy phone that my cellular provider is offering for a reasonable price and I can keep the provider (which I am 100% satisfied).  

Again, thank you for your reply.  

Good.  The provider I now use for DH allows him to buy data monthly which comes in handy for those big trips.  If you are traveling in The US, Canada or Europe you are never too far from WiFi and can easily get by without a data plan

• Thanks 1

IMO the real issue in this smart phone debate is that there is a population that fears all these technologies because they have let themselves get behind in technology and are unwilling or just not willing to try operating them. Which leads to many excuses why they will not jump in. There is also a population that just does not feel they need them and that is fine.

We all see it every day or at least many of us do. My computer skills are limited and I admit in the end of my military career it was tough keeping up with technology.

On our recent cruises our smart phones and the new Navigator app was very useful. Immediate feedback to compliment crew, availability of several newspapers to keep informed, making reservation, perusing menus etc.

I often think of my father who was a very successful businessman but in the end struggled or basically refused to use an ATM machine. Why? I believe he did not have the training or confidence to use it. Plus, we didn’t know at the time he had Alzheimer’s.

Same with books. I love reading and turning real pages but with long cruises reality set in and a Kindle became the practical norm for cruising. Paying by check drafts maybe five times a year now as all bills are paid direct deposit.

So we have choses and some will make life easier and other’s more complex. Either way is fine but eventually one has to view where the future is heading.

I choose and struggle to stay ahead of technology but so far it’s been my friend and when it doesn’t work I call my children or grandchildren!😁

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I choose and struggle to stay ahead of technology but so far it’s been my friend and when it doesn’t work I call my children or grandchildren!😁

An excellent post, Chief.  Some of us have no children nor grandchildren.  My closest relative lives in Alaska.  Communication with him is difficult because of the time difference.  

53 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

An excellent post, Chief.  Some of us have no children nor grandchildren.  My closest relative lives in Alaska.  Communication with him is difficult because of the time difference.  

I am a self learner.  YouTube and Google have all the answers.  All I have to do is enter the question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

In truth my grandchildren are too young to be tech advisors but I have called on children a couple of times. I agree with latest poster  Miss G that You Tube does have some great tutorials.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Thanks 1

Grandchildren can be amazing.  Today our five-year-old grandson managed to download a new game onto the iPad that his dad had left here for entertainment.  Big brother noticed mid-process, but it was too late.  Dad had limits on the older children's devices, but now he knows to pay more attention to his "baby."

Barbara 

• Like 1