Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Based on our current Quest experience I’d say to regular cruisers check the menu carefully before booking a speciality restaurant. Although both restaurants are open “due to reduced guest numbers” - our ship is 2/3 full approximately- they are running a significantly reduced menu. I don’t get this, on Viking we had the same % occupancy last month and their specialities were running full menus.

Here’s the rub, I hadn’t checked the menu and had assumed it was the full offerings ok my mistake. All around us are people having things we would have had if it had been the full menu but it transpires they were in the know and had pre ordered. 

I suppose pre order is an option to future guests on these boards. But shouldn’t they offer it to everyone booking a speciality?  It’s not exactly fair on the unaware. 

Our experience in Aqualina certainly wasn’t special (oh and they’ve new uncomfortable chairs). In contrast our next night in the MDR was far better. 

The rotation of evening buffets has been strange, no Greek, Seafood or most surprisingly Spanish (maybe that will be the last night). Heard very mixed views on the Indian and tonight’s is Moroccan. We’ve had Mexican, British, Thai, Italian and German.

Food choice in MDR and at lunchtime has a strong focus on Asian and spicy. Not our preference for regular eating. We’ve chosen around and so far found something though the current trend on nuts on everything does give DH issues. I would like to suggest to the bean counters they can save money by stop all these flower petals on the pastries and desserts! 

Thanks a lot for the information. I am not sure to understand the food choice at dinner in the MDR. Do you have an example of the menu (a picture?) ? Thanks 😉 

Edited by LeCommandant

53 minutes ago, crzrr said:

In January they closed the back verandah for breakfast because someone in an owners suite on deck 8 was complaining about the noise.   That lasted a day and then they allowed it to be open beginning at 8am.  I would be annoyed if it was not open at all - my favorite place for breakfast!

Closed Sunset Veranda until 7:30 am for a few days on our 2/22/22 Quest cruise due to complaints of noise from the stateroom(s) below.  Only noise issue we've had in those staterooms was on Pursuit, caused by the different style of chairs on Pursuit's veranda.  Never had an issue on Quest or Journey.  [Hope there wasn't a pea under their mattress.]

• Haha 2

The reason on the printed sign is weather conditions. Several days you could certainly have been outside. Maybe it’s due to staffing as they’d need more staff if it was open?

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Other silly things like no breakfast allowed at all on the back verandah- really? (They said then that was weather related but several mornings were warm enough) 

That would really annoy me!

The Sunset Verandah along with the Drawing Room are my favourite places in the early morning.

When Pursuit joined the fleet it was really disappointing to be unable to access the Sunset Verandah until after 8am, but understandable given the dreadfully noisy chairs in the area.

But, really!

No breakfast at all allowed on the Sunset Verandah!

I really do hope some of these changes are temporary . . . . 🤔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uktog said:

The reason on the printed sign is weather conditions. Several days you could certainly have been outside. Maybe it’s due to staffing as they’d need more staff if it was open?

The printed page on the 2/22/22 Quest cruise made clear the closing was done in response to complaints of noise from the staterooms below.  My guess is that someone decided blaming the closing on weather would be better-received by those who enjoy their breakfasts on the veranda.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

The printed page on the 2/22/22 Quest cruise made clear the closing was done in response to complaints of noise from the staterooms below.  My guess is that someone decided blaming the closing on weather would be better-received by those who enjoy their breakfasts on the veranda.

Good point though it was a blanket closure right through to 10am. 

4 hours ago, royallondon said:

Taking breakfast on the sunset veranda, looking out to wonderful views is a “This is the life” experience for us and would be gutted if it’s closure became a frequent occurrence.

Regards

I totally agree, it is our favourite place on the ship.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Marmaduke said:

I totally agree, it is our favourite place on the ship.

I feel the same way.  Thinking about sitting there, enjoying the sun and view was one of the things that got me through the pandemic lockdown!  It's usually the first place I go right after boarding.

• Like 8

Sorry, but closing this area until 10am is a wrong move and disadvantages the majority of passengers to suit the complaints of a minority in a couple of cabins.. We have travelled in a rear corner suite on deck 8 and also club continent suites under heavy traffic areas where there is inevitably some noise of some sort, but common sense would lead you to expect that from the layout of the ship. Most people realise that and accept it to be the case and very few complain.  To close the area as described will lead us to complain about being disadvantage by that move on our approaching cruise in a club continent suite under the kitchen handling area where we live with minimal noise. We are also up from bed before 8am!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

How is the entertainment onboard at the moment?

Ivi

On Quest it’s very good. The band the fantastic  beats are particularly good. 

• Thanks 1

Had a conversation with Ryzard tonight on Quest. He wasn’t aware we’d had a no breakfast outside situation in Windows. I think the next cruise might be luckier!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Is Ryzard on duty for the cruise starting tomorrow ?  Hope so.  Would you be kind enough to say who the other senior officers are ?

Its a bit strange that he didn't know - but it would be great for us if it is allowed going forward.

Will you do a review of your cruise ?  I am sure it would make informative reading for everyone.

• Like 3

So as we are above the show lounge on our next cruise, does that mean that if we complain about noise they will cancel all performances?

I thought not. So ultimately just as ridiculous to close the sunset veranda for breakfast.

Who is making these decisions?

The ship has certain constraints due to design, and allowances do have to be made.

• Like 4

Every effort should be made to keep all outdoor eating venues open (weather permitting) for all meals, not just because the passengers very much enjoy it, but also because it provides the opportunity for spacing and fresh air.  I'm surprised the officers are not insisting on this as part of the covid safety measures, unless the Windows manager is making these decisions independently.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Is Ryzard on duty for the cruise starting tomorrow ?  Hope so.  Would you be kind enough to say who the other senior officers are ?

Its a bit strange that he didn't know - but it would be great for us if it is allowed going forward.

Will you do a review of your cruise ?  I am sure it would make informative reading for everyone.

Ryzard is still on as still no relief for him

New F and B manager Richard (English still not settled in)

Amanda Is CD and Danny is ACD. Second ACD Darren is new and again English in very early days of training. 
Chef is new from Crystal likes to use spices, not to our tastes but that’s subjective 
Lots of new faces. Sounds like many of the regular bar and wait staff have been sent to Onward. 

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Ryzard is still on as still no relief for him

New F and B manager Richard (English still not settled in)

Amanda Is CD and Danny is ACD. Second ACD Darren is new and again English in very early days of training. 
Chef is new from Crystal likes to use spices, not to our tastes but that’s subjective 
Lots of new faces. Sounds like many of the regular bar and wait staff have been sent to Onward. 

I am glad to hear a Crystal chef is onboard! I hope that also other Crystal crew members. Best crew members in the industry. 
And I hope Russ will come back as cruise director 😊

Ivi

• Like 2

11 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I am glad to hear a Crystal chef is onboard! I hope that also other Crystal crew members. Best crew members in the industry. 
And I hope Russ will come back as cruise director 😊

Ivi

I will be honest this chef’s menu and flavour combinations don’t work for me at all but it’s all subjective 

Finally on the last morning the verandah is open for breakfast on Quest- too little too late. Hope it stays open for the lucky people on the next cruise! 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, uktog said:

Finally on the last morning the verandah is open for breakfast on Quest- too little too late. Hope it stays open for the lucky people on the next cruise! 

Ryszard is a man who gets things done, as I discovered very early on our first Azamara cruise.

Hope one day to cruise with him again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I will be honest this chef’s menu and flavour combinations don’t work for me at all but it’s all subjective 

Yes you are right it is subjective. We do not like bland food but fortunately there are different offerings we can choose from.

The choice of food offerings depends also of the budget. Food at Crystal was excellent and I assume there the chefs had a good budget to work with. I have read somewhere at this board that the food on the Azamara ships has improved. Looking forward to taste it. 

Ivi