Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

22 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Agree with you.  Worst was in Cozumel when the VIP section of tables was separated with red velvet ropes on stanchions.  Most VIP tables were half-empty yet some were seated far away from the performers.  Just poor form.  Hope we never see reserved section in Cabaret.

Don't have a problem with canapes or other treats in suites.  It's having some part of the ship where some, but not others, are allowed that irks me.  The spa deck would now fall into that category if day or whole-cruise passes are not available to others for a fee.

Sometimes I think your responses sound just a bit harsh (which I've been accused of before and it's not true :), but I LOVE what an egalitarian you are! We might get along splendidly. 

• Haha 1

Have just been a little assertive! Result was that we were told to try just turning up at, say, 7 and see if we can be fitted in. There may be either cancellations or no shows or even just vacant tables. We're going to have a go at that.

Meanwhile, the menu in Discoveries looks good tonight and we'll ask to share a table again. We met a nice young American couple that way last night.

• Like 9

Nippy Sweetie:

By giving us details about the problems you had with your arrival, you've helped lots of us think about the travel arrangements being made for us.  Thank you for taking the time to explain. I'm sorry it was so poorly done. Not a great way to start a vacation.

As someone who sails frequently with Azamara, I know they will do everything possible once you're onboard to make sure you are satisfied with your cruise.  They WANT you to be happy.  

Some of us are naturally assertive (and always polite). Some of us aren't. That's fine.  We are all trying to help you get what you need.  I was so excited for you when you posted that you got the upgrade. I hope your issues are addressed and you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Have just been a little assertive! Result was that we were told to try just turning up at, say, 7 and see if we can be fitted in. There may be either cancellations or no shows or even just vacant tables. We're going to have a go at that.

Meanwhile, the menu in Discoveries looks good tonight and we'll ask to share a table again. We met a nice young American couple that way last night.

Good!  Now be a little more assertive and make sure you have that table you want.

Don’t allow a few silly barriers to ruin your evening. 
Believe me when I say I hate with a passion everyone whom expects to sit down at 7.30.  That’s about 90% of people booking a table anywhere.  When it’s managed in the correct way  no one is unhappy on either side of the equation and the customer will leave happy. Expectation management is not always sensibly deployed among staff anywhere. 
Please do have a chat with the F&B manager.  Chances are you’ll end up meeting the executive chef also as I have noticed the double act approach quite often. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Azamara booked our flights. I asked about security and passports but they assured me it would be fine!!

The Aqualina lady ignores you and you have to specially call her over to take food order or clear plates etc. It's not just us though. She's an equal opportunities ignorer! The other waiter is lovely but is often out of the room probably collecting food.

If they arranged your flights, then that is poor. Certainly if they didn't make you aware of the potential issues.

I was also concerned to hear that you only get 6.30 or 8.30 bookings at the speciality restaurants. I personally don't like restaurants that do that and try and avoid them. I'm new to Azamara, but I'm certainly going to try and eat at my preferred 7.30pm time, at least for some nights, if necessary by doing what others have said and speak to the F and B manager.OK maybe if they are rammed that night but I think most people want to eat 7-8 so offering times that are only outside that pleases nobody.

1 hour ago, RW75 said:

Good!  Now be a little more assertive and make sure you have that table you want.

Don’t allow a few silly barriers to ruin your evening. 
Believe me when I say I hate with a passion everyone whom expects to sit down at 7.30.  That’s about 90% of people booking a table anywhere.  When it’s managed in the correct way  no one is unhappy on either side of the equation and the customer will leave happy. Expectation management is not always sensibly deployed among staff anywhere. 
Please do have a chat with the F&B manager.  Chances are you’ll end up meeting the executive chef also as I have noticed the double act approach quite often. 

I hear you. I can see the restaurants perspective in terms of managing orders. Maybe one could try and spread stuff around between 7 and 8pm.

But restaurants that do 2 sittings, both at hours well outside most people's preferences are, I suggest, doing more to optimise their profit (obviously less applicable on a cruise line) than meeting customer needs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

I was also concerned to hear that you only get 6.30 or 8.30 bookings at the speciality restaurants. I personally don't like restaurants that do that and try and avoid them. I'm new to Azamara, but I'm certainly going to try and eat at my preferred 7.30pm time, at least for some nights, if necessary by doing what others have said and speak to the F and B manager.OK maybe if they are rammed that night but I think most people want to eat 7-8 so offering times that are only outside that pleases nobody.

That has been A Thing, especially post Covid, but we are happy with an 8pm booking. If given an 8.30 booking, we just go 15-20 minutes early since we are late diners anyway. There has not been much of a problem. On Onward, we have found that the Atlas Bar is an especially nice place to bide one’s time whilst waiting for a table. The bar in Prime C is ok, but can be a bit of a desert sometimes.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

That has been A Thing, especially post Covid, but we are happy with an 8pm booking. If given an 8.30 booking, we just go 15-20 minutes early since we are late diners anyway. There has not been much of a problem. On Onward, we have found that the Atlas Bar is an especially nice place to bide one’s time whilst waiting for a table. The bar in Prime C is ok, but can be a bit of a desert sometimes.

This is new to me and I hadn't realised they did double sittings. Are you saying this has only happened post Covid?

I'm assuming, maybe wrongly, that if you took Aqualina and Prime C together, you are unlikely to find them both completely full at any given point. Is that fair? In which case, it ought to be possible to get a table when you want it. I'd probably be OK moving from one to another if needed. In fact don't they serve each others menus anyway on request? Which would make it less of an issue anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

I hear you. I can see the restaurants perspective in terms of managing orders. Maybe one could try and spread stuff around between 7 and 8pm.

But restaurants that do 2 sittings, both at hours well outside most people's preferences are, I suggest, doing more to optimise their profit (obviously less applicable on a cruise line) than meeting customer needs.

That is the issue here. When a business wants to operate on two defined times, it rarely works as well as someone expected. 

My last cruise I simply didn’t bother booking.  The poor attitude at the reservation desk in Windows lost maybe $300 in revenue from me. I know that’s no big deal, but, it’s lost revenue. 

Managing customers and micro management of table turning is not difficult.  Equally, having more outgoing, welcoming and empathetic staff on the reservations desk may help. 

I have never managed to have a drink at the bar in Prime C. Always discouraged or blatantly told there is no bar service.   Perfect space to get ahead or slow down the service. 

17 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

This is new to me and I hadn't realised they did double sittings. Are you saying this has only happened post Covid?

I'm assuming, maybe wrongly, that if you took Aqualina and Prime C together, you are unlikely to find them both completely full at any given point. Is that fair? In which case, it ought to be possible to get a table when you want it. I'd probably be OK moving from one to another if needed. In fact don't they serve each others menus anyway on request? Which would make it less of an issue anyway.

We’ve never tried switching from one speciality to another. I love Prime C, and we usually book a three-table tour, with two Prime C nights and one Aqualina. What I have noticed is that they’ve been a bit shorter-staffed, and more likely to restrict the number of tables at any given time post-Covid. Our dining time of choice is 8 pm. 

Edited to add: if we are on a cruise with a good number of Americans, they often prefer the earlier dining times, and we have no trouble getting an 8pm booking.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RW75 said:

That is the issue here. When a business wants to operate on two defined times, it rarely works as well as someone expected. 

My last cruise I simply didn’t bother booking.  The poor attitude at the reservation desk in Windows lost maybe $300 in revenue from me. I know that’s no big deal, but, it’s lost revenue. 

Managing customers and micro management of table turning is not difficult.  Equally, having more outgoing, welcoming and empathetic staff on the reservations desk may help. 

I have never managed to have a drink at the bar in Prime C. Always discouraged or blatantly told there is no bar service.   Perfect space to get ahead or slow down the service. 

Forgive me, what is Windows?

2 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

We’ve never tried switching from one speciality to another. I love Prime C, and we usually book a three-table tour, with two Prime C nights and one Aqualina. What I have noticed is that they’ve been a bit shorter-staffed, and more likely to restrict the number of tables at any given time post-Covid. Our dining time of choice is 8 pm. 

Ok well that is worth noting, maybe I need to get my reservations in fast and see if my butler has any leverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mackdogmolly said:

No bar service at the bar?!

Yes, honestly. I’ve been told I can’t sit at the bar on several occasions. Pre Covid.  I tried to walk in as I could see plenty of empty tables at 8.45 this year and was told he bar was closed but, I could have a drink when seated. 

1 minute ago, RW75 said:

Yes, honestly. I’ve been told I can’t sit at the bar on several occasions. Pre Covid.  I tried to walk in as I could see plenty of empty tables at 8.45 this year and was told he bar was closed but, I could have a drink when seated. 

Well, I guess that makes a little more sense, as that’s after the time of the last seating.

3 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Well, I guess that makes a little more sense, as that’s after the time of the last seating.

You think?  If my money is good enough to be taken and I want to sit at the bar and order at the bar, that’s what I want.  Obviously I went and sat down without further comment. 

There’s no excuse, it’s simply poor service.  The little things that aren’t quite right or disappoint are the things that people single out as a memory or a criticism. 

Saying Covid or low occupancy and accepting as a valid reason is wearing thin. 

There were always two notional sittings pre covid 6-6.30 and 8-8.30. If you like to eat as opposed to sit down at 7.30 the 6.30 arriving at 6.45 as is allowed works fine - you will get your first course about 7.15 - what’s 15 minutes between friends

Its a revenue restaurant they have to get two full sittings in if possible 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uktog said:

There were always two notional sittings pre covid 6-6.30 and 8-8.30. If you like to eat as opposed to sit down at 7.30 the 6.30 arriving at 6.45 as is allowed works fine - you will get your first course about 7.15 - what’s 15 minutes between friends

Its a revenue restaurant they have to get two full sittings in if possible 

Absolutely, also if demand is high they want to please as many passengers as possible. 
We always book for 8pm but if we turn up earlier we’ve never had a problem getting a table. They work on the principal that the average meal time is 2 hours, but some will take longer some quicker, in very busy periods we have seen a table turned 3 times. That said we’ve never seen anyone pressured into giving up a table.

As a comparison we are currently in a hotel owned by a well known U.K. celebrity chef, the restaurant is total chaos, last night we waited an hour between first and main course tonight they completely forgot about our dessert, and we weren’t the only ones complaining. Management disappeared when complaints happen and wait staff are like headless chickens, food ranges from weird to awful. We don’t know how lucky we are with the general standard on cruise ships.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We are getting ready to enjoy our 15th Azamara cruise.  We have never been denied service at the Prime C bar... and have been encouraged to stay and have dinner at the bar if we did not have reservations for dinner.  However, it has never been as late as 8:45 which would be after the last seatings.  The bar staff does rotate around so it's entirely possible that the bartender would be moving to a different bar at that time.  Any bar orders from dining patrons could be filled elsewhere and brought in if needed.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were on Onward for 11 nights this summer. We alternated between Aqualina and Prime C. We booked the first day for the whole cruise for 8:00 pm (We’re Americans, but that’s our preferred dining time. I don’t think all Americans are early diners. But, I did think Brits dined early. Just shows you can’t assume.) It was never a problem. If we showed up early, we ordered a drink at the bar and sometimes, they seated us early. One evening, they were very busy, but we knew all the staff and they knew we were perfectly happy to wait while having a drink. We just go with the flow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1