Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

On 7/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, Oklahoma Cruiser 2012 said:

Bioreference - Scarlet Concierge Service: In partnership with Bio-reference a concierge testing option is available for our fully vaccinated guests. Bio-reference will send a qualified medical technician to your home, office, hotel, or any place you choose, to perform the test. The cost is $85 per person. Your results will be ready in about 48 hours. Click here to make an appointment. 

That would mean you would need to test on Thursday for a Saturday cruise.  If the results are a tiny bit late you are toast.  Not a good idea.  A service that does an antigen test with quick results much much better. 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:25 AM, amoscotti said:

The mandatory pre cruise test can be a problem we are still trying to work it out , we fly   early hours from Glasgow to San Juan in December.

If they keep the mandatory test 2 days before the cruise , it means  we are arriving late at night at San Juan  Puerto Rico  on the Thursday so the only opportunity for us to get a test is at Miami Airport where we have a 4 hrs wait before the flight or in San Juan on the Friday with the cruise  departing on  the Saturday.

We have about 1 hr possibility at Heathrow  to get a test but that's tight.

Celebrity can't confirm if we could get a port side test . It makes you think of not bothering with the stress.

we are looking for a walk in test centre for antigen test or will we need to do it online all info re online for a UK resident in the USA.

Bring a couple covid tests from the UK.  ONPOINT or Rapidtestandtrace.com  can proctor a test using any government approved test.  Takes 15 minutes.  They do not care where you are are where you live.  Send one of thean email.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:49 AM, amoscotti said:

Thanks for the idea , was on celebrity site trying their port booking if required San Juan no on their list

Also tried to see if can obtain the Video Test via their connecting approved suppliers all USA based with no supply to the UK.

It must be difficult for International Travellers who come in early to the port to ensure they make the cruise

to obtain the necessary Covid Test before boarding . I have e mailed the Hotel waiting on a reply.

A couple of comments.  Celebrity does not have approved Covid tests.  Tests are approved by the health authorities in each country.  Celebrity will accept any proctored test using ANY GOVERNMENT APPROVED TEST.  A UK company or in the US.  OnPoint and Rapidtestandtrace.com are often mentioned.   Results in 15 minutes from either of the US companys.  About $20US or less. 

Simply connect using WiFi  

Our flight is at lunchtime from Edinburgh and we have to test beforehand. We could manage a 9am test but unfortunately the earliest available near us is 9:30 which is too tight.

So I’ve looked at home testing, I see the testing has to be supervised. This being the case does anyone know if Officialrapidtests.com are acceptable? If not can you recommend an acceptable UK based home test company? We cruise in less than 3 weeks.

5 hours ago, Rustyman said:

Our flight is at lunchtime from Edinburgh and we have to test beforehand. We could manage a 9am test but unfortunately the earliest available near us is 9:30 which is too tight.

So I’ve looked at home testing, I see the testing has to be supervised. This being the case does anyone know if Officialrapidtests.com are acceptable? If not can you recommend an acceptable UK based home test company? We cruise in less than 3 weeks.

As long as it is supervised it should be fine. Celebrity advised me that it didn’t matter which company as long it was supervised and they issued a certificate.
We used Chronomics today for our supervised test. We could log on from 9am onwards - you don’t book a slot just connect and they allocate you someone. We had someone online within a couple of mins and results through within 10 mins of sending the photo through to them. 

Edited by bremenkat

1 hour ago, bremenkat said:

As long as it is supervised it should be fine. Celebrity advised me that it didn’t matter which company as long it was supervised and they issued a certificate.
We used Chronomics today for our supervised test. We could log on from 9am onwards - you don’t book a slot just connect and they allocate you someone. We had someone online within a couple of mins and results through within 10 mins of sending the photo through to them. 

Cheers bremenkat.

10 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

WE sail Aug 31, 22 from Boston on Summit.  We live in the US. My understanding is we can get a test at CVS on Aug 29 at any time and it will be accepted(negative results) to board Summi?

Theoretically that's true.  There are a few potential pitfalls though.  I have read that testing sites, commercial and dedicated sites, can have testing supply issues, not having the particular tests on the day you are scheduled.  Some testing sites are requiring an actual "health visit" with a medical practitioner, taking temp, blood pressure, and creating an actual medical visit in order for them to get reimbursed.  If it were me, I would have a backup plan in case there is a snag.  

11 minutes ago, PKB said:

Theoretically that's true.  There are a few potential pitfalls though.  I have read that testing sites, commercial and dedicated sites, can have testing supply issues, not having the particular tests on the day you are scheduled.  Some testing sites are requiring an actual "health visit" with a medical practitioner, taking temp, blood pressure, and creating an actual medical visit in order for them to get reimbursed.  If it were me, I would have a backup plan in case there is a snag.  

Thanks for the heads up.  WE have used CVS and Walgreens in Nashville without a problem.  They seem to be on every corner. I will speak to one of the pharmacist to make sure they are not having problems. 

On 7/14/2022 at 9:32 AM, matmoo said:

Thank you, I’ll make a note for our cruise in October

Again you can use ANY government approved test.  Simply order or buy a few at a chemist.  Presume the UK also has a program with free tests.  In the US we can get 8 per month.  A proctored test is far easier.  Just do it on your phone - can probably print it at a hotel a printed copy not required.  And check out the company website to make sure you have the required app to make it easier.

3 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Thanks for the heads up.  WE have used CVS and Walgreens in Nashville without a problem.  They seem to be on every corner. I will speak to one of the pharmacist to make sure they are not having problems. 

Be prepared to pay for your tests. Not sure if you are aware that they are charging now. It’s around $130. Some insurance covers it, but a lot don’t.

We've used CVS for covid testing on 2 cruises.

The first time, we hit a snag.  They cancelled my GF's appointment w/20 minutes notice.  I told her to start driving towards my house and show up at mine (30 minutes after her appt. at a different location) and we'd plead our case.  At first, they said "no", but finally they let her do the test w/me.

Second time, no issues no charge.

But I do like the idea of a Plan B.

We did contract Covid on the first cruise (got back in January), fwiw.

Edited by Stockjock

On 7/14/2022 at 9:32 AM, matmoo said:

Thank you, I’ll make a note for our cruise in October

Question about this.  If I am buying a test for myself and another for my GF, can I buy two in my account and we both use one each of the purchased proctored services?  Or should I set up 2 separate accounts, one for me and the other for her, and buy one in each account?

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Question about this.  If I am buying a test for myself and another for my GF, can I buy two in my account and we both use one each of the purchased proctored services?  Or should I set up 2 separate accounts, one for me and the other for her, and buy one in each account?

Depends on which proctoring service you use.  Emed/Navica requires you to purchase their tests for their proctoring service.  You can buy as many as you need and share.  Each person who does the test will need their own account with Emed.  It is suggested you buy two for each person in case of inconclusive results or other technical issues.  Occasionally the liquid vial inside the test has been empty.  You can get a replacement from the company but not a refund.  No appointment necessary.  Just scan the QR code to start the test.  Their income is made off the sales of the tests.  This company seems to be the most widely and reliable company.  The test box must not be opened or tampered with before the proctor is online with you.  I ordered two six-packs for our group of 8 sailing in August.  DW and I can use the extras for our second cruise in February, 2023.  Cost per test-$30.00.  Peace of mind-priceless.

Another popular company is Onpoint-testing, which uses any purchased or "free from the goverment" at-home test.  Requires an appointment date and time, paid when appointment is made.  Can be changed if necessary.  Price fluctuates between $15 and $22.00.  I have read of poor customer service and no replies to inquires.  Many of the free government provided tests have two tests in the box.  I spent two hours waiting to ask if a box with two tests which was opened previously can be used.  The only reply was "just so the inside envelope is intact."  No "sorry you had to wait, how can I help you...."  Did not give me a warm fuzzy.  This company also has brick-and-mortar sites and there are many complaints of not receiving email results and possible erroneous results.  

Edited by PKB

25 minutes ago, PKB said:

Depends on which proctoring service you use.  Emed/Navica requires you to purchase their tests for their proctoring service.  You can buy as many as you need and share.  Each person who does the test will need their own account with Emed.  It is suggested you buy two for each person in case of inconclusive results or other technical issues.  Occasionally the liquid vial inside the test has been empty.  You can get a replacement from the company but not a refund.  No appointment necessary.  Just scan the QR code to start the test.  Their income is made off the sales of the tests.  This company seems to be the most widely and reliable company.  The test box must not be opened or tampered with before the proctor is online with you.  I ordered two six-packs for our group of 8 sailing in August.  DW and I can use the extras for our second cruise in February, 2023.  Cost per test-$30.00.  Peace of mind-priceless.

Another popular company is Onpoint-testing, which uses any purchased or "free from the goverment" at-home test.  Requires an appointment date and time, paid when appointment is made.  Can be changed if necessary.  Price fluctuates between $15 and $22.00.  I have read of poor customer service and no replies to inquires.  Many of the free government provided tests have two tests in the box.  I spent two hours waiting to ask if a box with two tests which was opened previously can be used.  The only reply was "just so the inside envelope is intact."  No "sorry you had to wait, how can I help you...."  Did not give me a warm fuzzy.  This company also has brick-and-mortar sites and there are many complaints of not receiving email results and possible erroneous results.  

I asked Onpoint a simple question via "live" chat.  Took them 1.5 hours to get to me.  Then another 15+ minutes to properly answer the question.  Good price, but I wonder if they've bitten off more than they can chew?  I would believe that customer service issues could be a concern here.

Hi, I am from the UK and sailing with Celebrity from Southampton (UK) I am sure this has been asked before on this thread, but I just saw a sample copy of a supervised test result certificate and it looks exactly the same as one I done with Randox Health where I just took a photo of the negative result and uploaded via Randox Certifly. I cannot see anywhere on the sample certificate where it says supervised test. Although I admit the Randox test advises self-test nasal swap, but surely even if you were video supervised it would be the same anyway..

Any comments would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, Wiggster said:

Hi, I am from the UK and sailing with Celebrity from Southampton (UK) I am sure this has been asked before on this thread, but I just saw a sample copy of a supervised test result certificate and it looks exactly the same as one I done with Randox Health where I just took a photo of the negative result and uploaded via Randox Certifly. I cannot see anywhere on the sample certificate where it says supervised test. Although I admit the Randox test advises self-test nasal swap, but surely even if you were video supervised it would be the same anyway..

Any comments would be appreciated.

I can't comment on your specific questions.

Our several "supervised" in the U.S. followed more-or-less this process:

- Establish an account.

- a person comes on, asks for adjustment to the camera, and watches while I open the box.

- advises and watches opening the packages inside: swab, test fluid, test kit

- at some point a QR code on the kit is scanned

- advises and watches while I do the fluid into the kit, swab-in-nose, then insertion of swab into kit.

- 15 minute pause, Camera ON!, Camera focused on the test sample to make sure we don't swap in an alternate.

- supervisor back on, asks for our assessment of the test, has us hold the kit up so he/she can see the results.

- email results sent within a few minutes.

I think much of the value of this approach vs. self-testing is that  outside agencies (e.g., Celebrity) may have a degree of assurance that no cheating is used to try and obtain a false report.

Stan

On 7/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, Purplsmurf said:

Be prepared to pay for your tests. Not sure if you are aware that they are charging now. It’s around $130. Some insurance covers it, but a lot don’t.

unless you came in contact with someone who might maybe have the virus......