Transportation from Vancouver to Dallas

shiner6

Checking flights from YCR to DFW--  very early times are not working out for us and the costs are $675 one way for a time after 11 am departure!   Anyone have suggestions for a family of 7 returning to the states after Alaskan cruise?   I have already purchased tickets from DFW to Vancouver , so just need to get back home in July.  Is it feasible to fly out of Seattle?   After paying for cruise, excursions, hotels and transfers, I am in sticker shock right now.

Probably just a typo but Vancouver airport = YVR

Flying out of SEA is feasible (we've driven down to fly out of Seatac before) but the challenge is how to get down there reasonably with a family of seven.  As a baseline, it's about a 3.5hr drive from Vancouver to Seatac factoring in a hopefully not a long border crossing wait.  Car rentals are so expensive nowadays; who knows when they'll cheapen up.  Not sure what cross border coach buses (like Quick Shuttle, Bolt bus, etc) are/will be operating next July.  You can take Amtrak's Cascades train down too but doesn't get you to Seatac directly so you'd have to connect somewhere.  I'm sure others can provide more detailed info on transportation options.

An alternate option is flying out of Bellingham (BLI) which is only a 1.5hr drive from Vancouver.  It looks like you can fly on Alaska Airlines, connect in SEA, and continue onto DFW.  Comments around transportation to SEA are also generally applicable as most of the options have a stop in Bellingham/BLI on the way to Seattle/SEA.

Another option might be to just wait it out a bit.  Flights out of YVR vs SEA or BLI as a rule of thumb are more expensive.  But perhaps prices will become more reasonable as airlines start adding additional capacity with travel opening up more every day. 

Edited by Milhouse
  • Like 1

Look and see what the airfares out of Seattle are. Then add in the travel costs and time frames, which might include spending an additional night. Your cruise line might have transfers. Pre Covid, there was train and bus service. 

I bet you find the airfares from Vancouver not so outrageous. 

• Like 1

Just curious about your fare...  I see on Google Flights between $332 and $374 on AA and for Sunday 11:05 departures, the most expensive day of the week.  Alaska has a later 1-stop flight for a bit less.  What day are you returning?

1 minute ago, txjim09 said:

Just curious about your fare...  I see on Google Flights between $332 and $374 on AA and for Sunday 11:05 departures, the most expensive day of the week.  Alaska has a later 1-stop flight for a bit less.  What day are you returning?

A 11:05 flight out of Vancouver on the day you get off the ship is going to be very tight and stressful...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 2:30 PM, CruiserBruce said:

A 11:05 flight out of Vancouver on the day you get off the ship is going to be very tight and stressful...

There is a skytrain from Cruise port in Vancouver to YVR (Vancouver Airport).line.com It is way to far to drive to Dallas.. It would be a number of nights hotel. Go to Priceline.com or cheapflights.com Flights out of Seattle may be the answer. There are transport options Vancouver to Seattle

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 2:32 PM, txjim09 said:

Understood, that was the time listed in the OP.  Depending on the return day, there are later reasonable 1-stop options (not the AC 1-stop with a change of planes in Toronto, no thanks!)

One of the other options is Bellingham airport.  The company that operates shuttle buses from the cruise ship terminal to the Seattle airport also has some buses stop at that airport halfway down.