**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #1 **** PLEASE READ!!!!!

Host Carolyn

What am I missing with the testing requirements - it appears if you are a vaccinated guest you need to have testing done within a 48 hour window however unvaccinated guests have a 72 hour window - does this make sense? In my mind the vaccinated guest should be given a longer time frame than the unvaccinated. Reason?

51 minutes ago, cellfree said:

What am I missing with the testing requirements - it appears if you are a vaccinated guest you need to have testing done within a 48 hour window however unvaccinated guests have a 72 hour window - does this make sense? In my mind the vaccinated guest should be given a longer time frame than the unvaccinated. Reason?

Yes it makes sense because un-Vax people will be tested again at the port before being allowed to board the ship and again 24 hours before disembarkation, you will also be charged $150.00 on your sail & sign card for this test.

Also it’s not 48 hours, it’s simply 2 days.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred

On 12/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, MomtherOfDragons said:

I have not read thru all 10 pages of this thread, so I'm sorry if it's been asked already... We are finally cruising again Jan 2 out of Galveston and I just realized that the "window" to test is going to be New Years Eve so I'm not sure we'll be able to find anywhere to test around here, thinking of doing the at home test... Does anyone know if they set up the med appointments on holidays/weekends? I don't see anything on the two that Carnival recommended saying they don't but I'm worried about missing the proper window of time we need 😟

We have the same issue too-- sailing on Jan 2 and our provider is closed on Dec 31 and Jan 1. 

I'm currently looking for availability at CVS but they only schedule 2 weeks prior so I have to wait.  Next plan might be a home test like everyone is talking about here. 

11 hours ago, cocomango said:

We have the same issue too-- sailing on Jan 2 and our provider is closed on Dec 31 and Jan 1. 

I'm currently looking for availability at CVS but they only schedule 2 weeks prior so I have to wait.  Next plan might be a home test like everyone is talking about here. 

My DH and I also sail on Jan 2.  We have to drive 8 hours to port Canaveral so we need a negative test before we leave home if we are arriving a day ahead. I tried to determine whether CVS or Walgreens are open and testing on Dec 31 and Jan 1 but could not get a definitive answer. 

I read on CC that people were getting free proctored tests in Ohio at libraries.  Our son goes to school in OH so he’s bringing 4 tests with him when he visits at Christmas.  He just walked in and asked for them at the school health center, no questions asked. 

Therefore, if you live in OH or know someone, you can get them that way.  

I believe that some parts of Virginia offer these free proctored tests at libraries as well. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cellfree said:

Vaccinated guests have a much wider range of test types that are acceptable to Carnival than unvaccinated guests (see post 128 above for the list of acceptable tests).   And I think that means it is easier for a vaccinated guest to get a rapid, or quick turnaround, test than for an unvaccinated person to get.  So, pure speculation on my part, but perhaps the extra day  added to the testing window for  unvaccinated guests may be recognition that it could take longer for them to get their test results back.

For anyone in the NY area. We had our rapid test done in one of those Northwell Health Care clinics that seem to be all over NYC and Long Island. We had a 1:30 appointment, but when we got there, they said they were swamped and it will be about an hour to get tested. Had us worried, but we received a text to come in about 45 minutes later, got tested, and results, all in less than 30 minutes. We tested negative and we got a printout saying this. We also received an email saying the same thing.

I would recommend this group, just Fridays and the weekends tend to be pretty busy, but very professional all the way.

BTW we are on Medicare and that paid for everything.

So looking forward to getting back on a ship come Sunday. 

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 4:01 PM, Calnev1 said:

Here is my datapoint. 

Earlier this week I made an appointment for a Walgreen's Rapid Diagnostic Test in North Las Vegas.  Earlier today I had the test done at the Walgreen's drive thru, took about two minutes.  Test was completed at 12:47.  I then got the email with the negative test results at 1:11.  Yup, only 24 minutes later.  The PDF document attached to the Walgreen email had all the info that Carnival wants.   So I will print off the PDF document and bring it with me to cruise check-in this Saturday.  And no, Walgreen's did not charge me anything for the test.  But they do have my insurance on file, so they will likely ask my insurance to pay. 

Further datapoint. 

Just boarded Carnival Panorama using negative Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test.  No problems.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, audcc77 said:

My DH and I also sail on Jan 2.  We have to drive 8 hours to port Canaveral so we need a negative test before we leave home if we are arriving a day ahead. I tried to determine whether CVS or Walgreens are open and testing on Dec 31 and Jan 1 but could not get a definitive answer. 

I read on CC that people were getting free proctored tests in Ohio at libraries.  Our son goes to school in OH so he’s bringing 4 tests with him when he visits at Christmas.  He just walked in and asked for them at the school health center, no questions asked. 

Therefore, if you live in OH or know someone, you can get them that way.  

I believe that some parts of Virginia offer these free proctored tests at libraries as well. 

We are considering scheduling a test at Walgreens in Canaveral since we are driving down two days early. Researching now to see how successful that has been for other passengers. Our local Walgreens has a great turnaround rate and offers drive through and walk in testing. Hoping this is a viable option for us. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

Vaccinated guests have a much wider range of test types that are acceptable to Carnival than unvaccinated guests (see post 128 above for the list of acceptable tests).   And I think that means it is easier for a vaccinated guest to get a rapid, or quick turnaround, test than for an unvaccinated person to get.  So, pure speculation on my part, but perhaps the extra day  added to the testing window for  unvaccinated guests may be recognition that it could take longer for them to get their test results back.

Unvax need pcr test which is taking 48hr+. 

Anyone else leaving the kids at home because of this testing stuff?  We are moving our cruise again for the 3rd time but going to take a cruise without the kids since the wife and I are vaccinated.  We don't mind the tests.  I get tested at work every Monday so no big deal.  

Thanks for keeping us all up to date with all of this Covid testing stuff. A lot of great info.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:58 AM, my kids mama said:

Hi Aurora.  I am in Aurora too.  My cruise isn't until the end of the month.  Could you tell me what you ended up doing about your test?  

I HIGHLY recommend the testing site at Miami International Airport!!!  I was able to walk in, pay $79 and get my test done in the time it took my friend to get her bag from baggage claim.  I'm still working with the eMed people to get a refund for the faulty tests.  For only $10 more, I wish I had just gone with this option.  Really, just cannot recommend them enough. They were efficient, friendly and professional!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2fromaurora said:

I HIGHLY recommend the testing site at Miami International Airport!!!  I was able to walk in, pay $79 and get my test done in the time it took my friend to get her bag from baggage claim.  I'm still working with the eMed people to get a refund for the faulty tests.  For only $10 more, I wish I had just gone with this option.  Really, just cannot recommend them enough. They were efficient, friendly and professional!

Thank you so much!  I wonder if they do that at the Houston Airport as well.  We are cruising out of Galveston.  Good luck with eMed.  I wanted a refund as well, because the tests were expired.  Even with the extension, they are still no good to me.  They refused and eventually, sent emails with no words.  Literally empty emails.  I guess they can say that they replied to me, even if there were no words in the thread box.  I called them and asked to speak with a supervisor but, was just left on terminal hold. I feel confident that nobody was ever going to come to the phone. On a brighter note, how was your cruise? 

I do NOT recommend emed.com and the Binax NOW test.  It has been a nightmare!  From 7 am to 10:30 am, we only managed to test 3 of us.  We had to start over repeatedly due to techincaly issues on their end.  And each time had to restart the wait. 

• Thanks 1

There is a lot of info in this thread so I apologize for adding to it. I sail out this Saturday. I am vaccinated. I had a PCR test done at Kaiser yesterday and I got the negative results this morning. Will I be within the window? It says 72-48 hours I believe. Are they going to go by the hour I was tested or the day? Or the day of the results? I just don't want to risk anything. I've bent over backwards as a vaccinated person in society, but that is a different convo. I just want to go on my darn vacation without issue.

29 minutes ago, leitmotif said:

There is a lot of info in this thread so I apologize for adding to it. I sail out this Saturday. I am vaccinated. I had a PCR test done at Kaiser yesterday and I got the negative results this morning. Will I be within the window? It says 72-48 hours I believe. Are they going to go by the hour I was tested or the day? Or the day of the results? I just don't want to risk anything. I've bent over backwards as a vaccinated person in society, but that is a different convo. I just want to go on my darn vacation without issue.

From Carnival FAQ:

Are fully vaccinated guests required to take a pre-travel COVID-19 test?

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

I'm pretty sure it is the day of testing, not the day of results.

Edited by day-day

On 11/15/2021 at 6:38 AM, racheyyy1129 said:

We have booked the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW through Walgreens tor Thursday afternoon. Scheduled to sail Saturday. 
has anyone else done this same test?
  Just want to make sure it’s ok since it’s not word for word matching carnivals website 

Was the Rapid Diagnostic test (ID Now) accepted?  We just got back from Walgreens and she doubted a cruise would take it.  Thanks.

On 12/12/2021 at 5:21 PM, thatoneguyyouknow said:

We used Walgreens and CVS no issue and free. 

What test at Walgreens?  We sail on Saturday and just went to Walgreens and they said the ID Now Rapid Diagnostic test would not be accepted. UGH! Thanks

15 minutes ago, Mariaczar said:

What test at Walgreens?  We sail on Saturday and just went to Walgreens and they said the ID Now Rapid Diagnostic test would not be accepted. UGH! Thanks

we used ID now with the quoted 24 hour turnaround time with no issues.  Actual time for results was about 4 hours.  Carnival accepted it no problem. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mariaczar said:

14 minutes ago, thatoneguyyouknow said:

we used ID now with the quoted 24 hour turnaround time with no issues.  Actual time for results was about 4 hours.  Carnival accepted it no problem. 

We did also - November cruise - Walgreens IDNOW - got results in two hours - if you read further back in this thread (I did all this research prior to November as I was concerned) someone had written that the IDNOW is in fact within the category that Carnival accepts - and when we checked in the person that checked our Vax Cards and COVID test results simply looked at the print out and as soon as she saw the word “negative” she was happy and sent us on, she had no idea what test we had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, day-day said:

From Carnival FAQ:

Are fully vaccinated guests required to take a pre-travel COVID-19 test?

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

I'm pretty sure it is the day of testing, not the day of results.

Wait! *****? When did they change it to 2 days? It said 72hrs on the email I received. I'm about to just cancel this stupid thing with all the hoops I have to jump through. I'm vaccinated! Tests, masks... what the hell man?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jen_01 said:

I know Carnival said the only at home test that is approved is binax ag card 19 and unfortunately those are only available in certain states. 

This is not what is stated on the Carnival website.

Return to Service FAQs | Have Fun. Be Safe. | Carnival Cruise Line

It lists two options for self administered tests but does not limit this to these two options and also states:

Is a self-test acceptable?

Fully vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.
Edited by day-day

10 minutes ago, leitmotif said:

Wait! *****? When did they change it to 2 days? It said 72hrs on the email I received. I'm about to just cancel this stupid thing with all the hoops I have to jump through. I'm vaccinated! Tests, masks... what the hell man?

The email I received in October said testing to be taken within 2 days prior to sailing date for vaccinated guests.

It also stated PCR test for unvaccinated guests must be taken between 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date.

3 minutes ago, day-day said:

The email I received in October said testing to be taken within 2 days prior to sailing date for vaccinated guests.

It also stated PCR test for unvaccinated guests must be taken between 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date.

Well, I guess I better learn how to read next time. It is still frustrating. I still have to work and all that jazz. oh well. c'est la vie.