**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #1 **** PLEASE READ!!!!!

Host Carolyn

Go to this site to register and set up an appointment at the port. Note: they want you to exhaust other means of testing, I can tell you this will cause long lines and delays.

Best have your negative test done so that you can just board the ship and start your vacation. 

On MSC Seashore this couple with 2 kids had to test their 2 children at the port, took them 3 hours, from 1pm and finally got onboard at 4pm.

https://www.docgo.com/carnival

Fred

It's based on days, not hours, so you should be good.

"The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests, ages 2 and older, to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in."

Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:30 AM, cellfree said:

Following up with an end to my story - what would any of us do without these Boards:

1) Yesterday morning went to CVS in Florida for PCR test for Sunday's cruise and a letter was given to us from CVS that said results will be back within 2-4 days (we had this same test done in October and letter at that time said results will be back within 1-2 days) so I was somewhat concerned about the 2-4 day thing

2) Went home and did more reading on this thread and people were referring to the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test ID NOW which gives results in 24 hours that Carnival accepts - my confusion was the Carnival website not specifically calling it that

3) So for peace of mind made appointments at Walgreens for this morning and went and took test there and within an hour our test results were sent to us (husband just received CVS results as well, I have not seen my CVS results yet)

Thank you to all who rseponded to questons I have had the last few days!

That happened to a friend of mine - (when testing days were 3 days out) we went at same time and i received my test results within 24 hrs - she did not receive hers before they left the day before we sailed so she ended up going to an ER on the way down to the port and having to pay $250 - ended up getting the results from the free test about an hr before she got the results from the one she paid for 

(around 12:30 am the day we sailed)

My son's Christmas present is a cruise (with me!) To create build up at present opening time, I'm doing some physical gifts that are designed to baffle him (which is hard because he's smart as a whip). I was going to order a couple of the Abbot eMed tests to wrap up but don't want to buy expired tests.  Does anyone know if they have extended the expiration dates?  We used them in September and they were awesome.  

3 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

My son's Christmas present is a cruise (with me!) To create build up at present opening time, I'm doing some physical gifts that are designed to baffle him (which is hard because he's smart as a whip). I was going to order a couple of the Abbot eMed tests to wrap up but don't want to buy expired tests.  Does anyone know if they have extended the expiration dates?  We used them in September and they were awesome.  

Yes they extended the date, got mine yesterday and they read 11/05/2021 so these expire on 02/05/2022 as the website mentioned.

Fred

D0E421FC-DC2A-4F5F-A1F8-BBA02411D0DB.jpeg

Edited by Wennfred

On 11/25/2021 at 6:43 PM, Loopdan said:

Maybe a stupid question, but why are so many people buying these at home test kits (and often buying multiples per person due to quality control issues) when rapid tests are available at many pharmacies and cost nothing with your insurance?

Is this a regional thing where some pharmacies don't have these available or it's difficult to get an appointment?

I have pretty good federal insurance but it only covers testing if I have symptoms. I also talked to Walgreens in my hometown and they didn't have any quick testing.  It might be three or more days for results.  I did test once with my health department because I had volunteered at an event with 1,000 visitors and then lost all taste.  This results were three days getting back.  Our options are urgent care or doctors office,  or go to another town to drugstore.  All options will cost us.  Home test day after tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

This is one correct test.  Read the thread.  😞

I did try to read thru the thread, but unfortunately it is getting so long its faster just to repost a question

i found my answer AFTER I had posted and reread all the posts

9 hours ago, Gingersnaps35 said:

If I buy the 3 pack Covid home test can three people use it. One for each one? Can we all make an account when we start the test at home.

Yes the 3 pack for each individual, make sure to use a separate email for each account and that email you can print your results from.

Fred

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gingersnaps35 said:

If I buy the 3 pack Covid home test can three people use it. One for each one? Can we all make an account when we start the test at home.

Yes you can - but what if something goes amiss (test/package is invalidated). A test package is mauled in the mail, the package is opened prematurely/inadvertently, You fail to follow instructions, Proctor gives you wrong Instructions, Fluid bulb is dry, You drop the test card on the floor mid-test. Phone battery dies mid-test, Test card velcro strap does not stick, "Technical difficulties". All of these have been reported - not many I will grant you - but...stuff happens.

Get some extra test kits. A 3 pack costs $100 (Optum), a 6 pack costs $150 (eMed).

How much did you say you paid for your cruise??

New packages are being manufactured - should be available in January with a 1 year expiration date (Current packages good through at least 1 Feb, 2022). If your cruise is not upcoming - possibly wait to get the next batch.

Personally - I have a set of 6 for the two of us (two cruise) - and these are just the back-up to the prime CVS testing - CVS/Walgreens have been also known to cancel (with short/no notification) if/when they have staffing (or unknown) issues. We also used one for non-travel test just to check when we were just not feeling well.

Ok I’ve read thru this thread but didn’t see this question. My granddaughters are sailing with us on the Dream. They are under 10 and unvaccinated. What kind of test will they need to board?  Can it be the one at Walgreens?  Thanks for any help. 

40 minutes ago, aamechs2 said:

Ok I’ve read thru this thread but didn’t see this question. My granddaughters are sailing with us on the Dream. They are under 10 and unvaccinated. What kind of test will they need to board?  Can it be the one at Walgreens?  Thanks for any help. 

They will need a PCR test. See below for unvaccinated testing requirements.

Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

Testing
  • Guests ages 2 and older must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test, taken within 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date at check-in (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday, but not on the morning of embarkation). As part of the health screening process, unvaccinated guests must also take an antigen test at embarkation, and test again within 24 hours of debarkation on all cruises longer than 4 days. All unvaccinated guests will be assessed a US$150 per person charge on the guest’s onboard Sail & Sign account to cover the cost of testing, reporting and health and safety screenings. Guests should review their pre-cruise test results, i.e., a laboratory test record, digital certificate or healthcare record, and ensure it indicates their full legal name, date of birth, type of test, date and time sample was taken, test result stating “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” and laboratory, testing site, and/or healthcare provider details. Please refer to our Return to Service FAQs for complete information on testing requirements and resources.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, aamechs2 said:

Ugh thank you. That $150 per kid is a cruise killer. I guess I thought it wouldn’t apply to kids. But I get it. We’ll just have to wait til normal returns, if it ever does 😭

Yep, sorry, I completely understand. Even some of us vaccinated cruisers are having to shell out money for testing. There are no "free" testing options in some places.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MoTex said:

I did try to read thru the thread, but unfortunately it is getting so long its faster just to repost a question

i found my answer AFTER I had posted and reread all the posts

So is the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic(ID Now) acceptable?  It appears to be and I am having zero luck finding any other "quick" results testing sites!!!

16 minutes ago, backstabbath said:

So is the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic(ID Now) acceptable?  It appears to be and I am having zero luck finding any other "quick" results testing sites!!!

If Walgreens is doing the testing with a med tech, and they give you the results, you are good to go, IMHO.