Third Excel Class to be "Carnival Jubilee," will debut in Galveston

talkorpi

On 11/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, MrMarc said:

To make this work, they are going to have to spend money on fuel and come up with more and varied itineraries.  People only want to go to Cozumel so many times.

Started cruising in 2008, I counted the other day and I've been to Cozumel 17 times! Nice port but now I stay on the ship most of the time. Yes, more varied itineraries would be great.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

Started cruising in 2008, I counted the other day and I've been to Cozumel 17 times! Nice port but now I stay on the ship most of the time. Yes, more varied itineraries would be great.

Cozumel will almost always be a port call for Carnival cruises in the Caribbean. They own the port through an affiliate and will make sure it keeps the dollars rolling in.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

There are a LOT of ships from a LOT of companies at Cozumel all the time. It is a popular port, and nothing is going to change that. No matter how many spoiled CC posters are inconvenienced by being there a few handfuls of times.

Not only are new islands not being made, but really large ships can only go to so many places. There are people who will cruise for just the ship alone (Not for me). Some people absolutely love having the ship to themselves, not having to worry about buying food or arranging transportation. The Jubilee brings a fantastic choice to those people.

That's a good point, and I am one of those people, but it gets old after a while.  It will be interesting to see if the limited itineraries will attract enough people, and how the port will handle the additional traffic.  Last time NCL was in this market, they went out of the port of Houston.  RCCL is building their own building in Galveston, I wonder if Carnival or NCL have anything like that in the works.

I do YTD with one adjustment. On night one I book the Steakhouse and on the last night Cuchina Del Capitano and a Chef's Table.

Here is why I do it this way. On night one people are scrambling to figure out dining and I get treated with a bottle of wine on night one or 50 percent off specialty wines. Chef's  Table gives me a break to get an elevated experience

On the last night people are scrambling to get ready to go home and are rushing to get finished. I just have to pack and am overnighting in LA so where else do I have to go? I can stay up late and even do self walk off if I choose .

YTD of Blue Iguana, BBQ or Guys I like flexibility.

2 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I do YTD with one adjustment. On night one I book the Steakhouse and on the last night Cuchina Del Capitano and a Chef's Table.

Here is why I do it this way. On night one people are scrambling to figure out dining and I get treated with a bottle of wine on night one or 50 percent off specialty wines. Chef's  Table gives me a break to get an elevated experience

On the last night people are scrambling to get ready to go home and are rushing to get finished. I just have to pack and am overnighting in LA so where else do I have to go? I can stay up late and even do self walk off if I choose .

YTD of Blue Iguana, BBQ or Guys I like flexibility.

Could someone explain to me why the bbq is only open on sea days. So many wanted to try it. Such short hours and so few days to try it. Noon to 1230 only seadays .. why cant it be opened port days. Lots stay on the ship these days. 

• Like 2

Read through all the posts here. Surprised no one mentioned there was a predecessor named Carnival Jubilee. Our first cruise was on her in 2001 out of Tampa. After that cruise we were hooked. 

Miss the midnight buffets. They were a hoot! And the live band sail aways. And the VERY elegant ELEGANT nights.

We will have to sail on the new Jubilee just so we can say we sailed both!

Kind regards.

I would love if they did 10 or 12 night southern Caribbean or ABC Island cruises once a month. Galveston is my home port and I would welcome the change. And I'm sure those of us that use Galveston as a home port would welcome it. 

I think any ship doing these longer routes to new ports would sell out.  We're so ready to visit other islands. 

• Like 2

I was so excited to read this news! I just started looking this week for an Easter week cruise 2024 to take the kids and grandkids, we were all supposed to be on the Vista Easter Week 2020. We have a new granddaughter that arrived last December so we want to wait until she is at least 3 to do the family cruise. I wanted to rebook the the Vista but it is not listed as sailing from Galveston in April 2024. I looked into the Mardi Gras and Celebration but didn’t like the itineraries and would prefer to fly to Texas rather than coast to coast.

The Jubilee will be perfect, even sweeter because our very first cruise was on the original Jubilee in 1996 for our15th anniversary. We can celebrate our 48th on the new Jubilee with the whole family and I have three cruises booked in the meantime, retirement is looking up! 

5 hours ago, Oletruckdude said:

Read through all the posts here. Surprised no one mentioned there was a predecessor named Carnival Jubilee. Our first cruise was on her in 2001 out of Tampa.

My first cruise was also on the Jubilee, when she was brand new in July of 1986. Skeet shooting off the aft of the ship and going up to the funnel deck to "look for Cuba".  😉  Hoping to sail on her transatlantic to either NYC or MIA before she finally lands in Galveston.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

My first cruise was also on the Jubilee, when she was brand new in July of 1986. Skeet shooting off the aft of the ship and going up to the funnel deck to "look for Cuba".  😉  Hoping to sail on her transatlantic to either NYC or MIA before she finally lands in Galveston.

I remember the skeet shooting and also carnival used to have a nude deck for sun bathing. 

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Could someone explain to me why the bbq is only open on sea days. So many wanted to try it. Such short hours and so few days to try it. Noon to 1230 only seadays .. why cant it be opened port days. Lots stay on the ship these days. 

There could be a number of reasons, but here is my hypothesis. Running any of these venues is probably a lot more intensive than the average person understands. Food supply and labor are not infinite. I'd imagine running every venue, every day, for all hours just isn't feasible. When would you prep? When would you give your staff off? If a venue was not as popular as others, would it have the same hours as the rest?

If I had to pick a time that makes sense to operate, it's probably when everyone is aboard and has the opportunity to grab it. Of course, there will be the crowd that says "well they just need to have more staff".

34 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There could be a number of reasons, but here is my hypothesis. Running any of these venues is probably a lot more intensive than the average person understands. Food supply and labor are not infinite. I'd imagine running every venue, every day, for all hours just isn't feasible. When would you prep? When would you give your staff off? If a venue was not as popular as others, would it have the same hours as the rest?

If I had to pick a time that makes sense to operate, it's probably when everyone is aboard and has the opportunity to grab it. Of course, there will be the crowd that says "well they just need to have more staff".

Bbq is already very limited to 2.5 hours open. So not sure why you say all the time. I'm just asking about port days. We did 5 day breeze, hit the 2 ports and only had one port day coming back and high winds hit. It was pretty much almost impossible for them to open but many had waited 3 days. The wind was whipping around the outside corner on deck 5 like crazy. Our plates felt like frisbees. Could almost not hang onto our plates the wind was so bad. Made vista over 3 hours late docking the next morning. Maybe they could have stayed shut down that day had they opened more days and people had waited to try the food. 

Edited by firefly333

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I remember the skeet shooting and also carnival used to have a nude deck for sun bathing. 

I remember the skeet shooting, nude sun bathing deck and my hubby hitting golf balls off the back of the ship. The captain’s cocktail party and dinner was nice, we got free drinks and a pic with the captain. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Bbq is already very limited to 2.5 hours open. So not sure why you say all the time. I'm just asking about port days. We did 5 day breeze, hit the 2 ports and only had one port day coming back and high winds hit. It was pretty much almost impossible for them to open but many had waited 3 days. The wind was whipping around the outside corner on deck 5 like crazy. Our plates felt like frisbees. Could almost not hang onto our plates the wind was so bad. Made vista over 3 hours late docking the next morning. Maybe they could have stayed shut down that day had they opened more days and people had waited to try the food. 

Carnival can't control the weather and the resources aren't there to keep all venues open all the time. The free BBQ places on Carnival have never been open other than limited hours on sea days, and usually don't even open in inclement weather. I'm a little surprised that they did.

It's good to have choices of where to eat, but on short cruises you have to set your priorities. You won't be able to eat everywhere.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:06 AM, LaRue1975 said:

I was so excited to read this news! I just started looking this week for an Easter week cruise 2024 to take the kids and grandkids, we were all supposed to be on the Vista Easter Week 2020. We have a new granddaughter that arrived last December so we want to wait until she is at least 3 to do the family cruise. I wanted to rebook the the Vista but it is not listed as sailing from Galveston in April 2024. I looked into the Mardi Gras and Celebration but didn’t like the itineraries and would prefer to fly to Texas rather than coast to coast.

The Jubilee will be perfect, even sweeter because our very first cruise was on the original Jubilee in 1996 for our15th anniversary. We can celebrate our 48th on the new Jubilee with the whole family and I have three cruises booked in the meantime, retirement is looking up! 

The sailings must be sold out then. I’m booked on a 7 day on the Vista on 4/16.  Unfortunately, I didn’t realize it was the week of Easter when I booked and just wanted to book for my birthday. I’m praying the ship isn’t overrun with kids and am seriously considering moving it to the next week. 

58 minutes ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

The sailings must be sold out then. I’m booked on a 7 day on the Vista on 4/16.  Unfortunately, I didn’t realize it was the week of Easter when I booked and just wanted to book for my birthday. I’m praying the ship isn’t overrun with kids and am seriously considering moving it to the next week. 

I am looking at Easter Week 2024. I like to plan WAY ahead and already have 3 cruises booked for 2022 & 2023. There are no cruises available for the Vista after October 2023, the arrival of the Jubilee must be the reason why. I wonder where the Vista is going? 

When I was researching for our cruise in 2020 I found out Easter Week is a huge travel time for Mexican families. In 2019 there were a lot of foreign travelers onboard which delayed departure because there were so many to process at debarkation. Texas kids all have Spring Break in March so that should help, have a great cruise! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

Texas kids all have Spring Break in March so that should help, have a great cruise! 

Not sure if you need a hotel. I booked cruises then looked at hotel rates. Take a look at march 19, 2022 for instance. I was told that whole week is spring break. Lol I'm booked right now in the Woodlands in houston but can cancel if rates come down. The hotel I had for breeze wants up to 375 per night. Super 8 wants 425 plus tax .. and some a little better in the 500s. To me that's a lot for one night in a hotel. Galveston hotels are getting a little crazy. Spring break... more so. 

2 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

I am looking at Easter Week 2024. I like to plan WAY ahead and already have 3 cruises booked for 2022 & 2023. There are no cruises available for the Vista after October 2023, the arrival of the Jubilee must be the reason why. I wonder where the Vista is going? 

When I was researching for our cruise in 2020 I found out Easter Week is a huge travel time for Mexican families. In 2019 there were a lot of foreign travelers onboard which delayed departure because there were so many to process at debarkation. Texas kids all have Spring Break in March so that should help, have a great cruise! 

That’s very useful. Thanks. We survived Disney during Spring Break so we’ll make the best of it. I’m just happy to get back on a ship. 

8 minutes ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

Galveston hotels are always ridiculous. I found a decent rate in League City. Fortunately I grew up close by in Louisiana so I know the lay of the land, and have relatives I can crash with if need be. 

True hotels are cheaper  ot in Galveston but I was looking for a hotel with free parking which I had for breeze last month and have next January.  Exactly my pt, you too aren't parking in Galveston lol. They have gone up since pre covid. They got greedy. Luckily cruise private parking I found some deals. 

I've been going and staying in Galveston for over 40 years. Briefly thought about a condo but decided on cape Canaveral   . Because of the weather. But I do know Galveston pretty darn well .. 

So far been lucky. Breeze b2b left on a monday, so wasnt a fri or sat., vista booked hotel 9 months in advance lololol. Crazy I know. I live in texas so staying in texas city does nothing but give me a head start next  morning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Not sure if you need a hotel. I booked cruises then looked at hotel rates. Take a look at march 19, 2022 for instance. I was told that whole week is spring break. Lol I'm booked right now in the Woodlands in houston but can cancel if rates come down. The hotel I had for breeze wants up to 375 per night. Super 8 wants 425 plus tax .. and some a little better in the 500s. To me that's a lot for one night in a hotel. Galveston hotels are getting a little crazy. Spring break... more so. 

We fly into Hobby, for the 2020 cruise I booked the Springhill Suites for $75, so cheap I didn’t use my Marriott points. I just did a check of The Marriott properties at Hobby in March 2022 and they were pretty good too, $100 to $200 depending on the brand. I booked a shuttle from the hotel to the port and back to the airport. They were the only company that I didn’t get a refund from so I won’t be booking them again. 

1 minute ago, LaRue1975 said:

We fly into Hobby, for the 2020 cruise I booked the Springhill Suites for $75, so cheap I didn’t use my Marriott points. I just did a check of The Marriott properties at Hobby in March 2022 and they were pretty good too, $100 to $200 depending on the brand. I booked a shuttle from the hotel to the port and back to the airport. They were the only company that I didn’t get a refund from so I won’t be booking them again. 

Just so happens I'm booked at hobby nonrefundable for my dec cruise which I didnt mention. And got a weeks parking for $55 at dolphin. Might have outsmarted myself as I might not be going as my dad is passing away and we have called in hospice, but idk. 

I got la quinta behind hilton good location for $54 is why I took nonrefundable.  My friend is flying in from calif I've been talking to for about 6 months. It is what it is, but I'm booked there dec 11th as a matter of fact. She used pts for Hilton. The 2 hotels back up to each other. 

I shop pretty carefully but stay in ok hotels. So I'm doing the same as you too another cruise. I love to plan. If I have to lose the money for my dads funeral it's on me. We are day by day. 

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Just so happens I'm booked at hobby nonrefundable for my dec cruise which I didnt mention. And got a weeks parking for $55 at dolphin. Might have outsmarted myself as I might not be going as my dad is passing away and we have called in hospice, but idk. 

I got la quinta behind hilton good location for $54 is why I took nonrefundable.  My friend is flying in from calif I've been talking to for about 6 months. It is what it is, but I'm booked there dec 11th as a matter of fact. She used pts for Hilton. The 2 hotels back up to each other. 

I shop pretty carefully but stay in ok hotels. So I'm doing the same as you too another cruise. I love to plan. If I have to lose the money for my dads funeral it's on me. We are day by day. 

I am sorry to hear about your dad, treasure the time you have left with him. SW offers a daily Burbank/Hobby nonstop, another reason cruising from Galveston is so attractive. Anytime you can avoid LAX, IAH or MIA when making travel plans you are doing well. Now with the Jubilee coming I might consider it my home port too, lol! We have the Panorama here but the Mexican Riviera itinerary is meh, especially if you’ve done it before.

We will be on the Panorama for the Sailibration in March, guess it was a good choice now that we have to get tested, we live an hour from Long Beach. Then we’ll take our grandson on the Radiance next October during his Fall Break and the hubby and I are finally going to do the Vista cruise in April 2023 for our 47th anniversary. I booked a Havana Premium Vista Balcony, absolutely cannot wait for that one! I hope you are able to cruise in December, happy sailing! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

I am sorry to hear about your dad, treasure the time you have left with him. SW offers a daily Burbank/Hobby nonstop, another reason cruising from Galveston is so attractive. Anytime you can avoid LAX, IAH or MIA when making travel plans you are doing well. Now with the Jubilee coming I might consider it my home port too, lol! We have the Panorama here but the Mexican Riviera itinerary is meh, especially if you’ve done it before.

We will be on the Panorama for the Sailibration in March, guess it was a good choice now that we have to get tested, we live an hour from Long Beach. Then we’ll take our grandson on the Radiance next October during his Fall Break and the hubby and I are finally going to do the Vista cruise in April 2023 for our 47th anniversary. I booked a Havana Premium Vista Balcony, absolutely cannot wait for that one! I hope you are able to cruise in December, happy sailing! 

Thanks. Mixed feelings about spending more time with him vs letting him go. Hospice just left and told my mom to quit taking his BP as it just gets her upset. Hes quit drinking eating and taking meds the last 3 days now. Hes 103 and she is 95. They been married since she was 18 so you can imagine and she is losing weight too much now too. They offered to take him somewhere but I know his wishes were to stay home. The clock is ticking. Thanks for your wishes.

My friend in calif must live near you who is flying in with her husband dec 11th. No way I can even predict if he will be gone and the funeral over by then. He started slipping suddenly about mid Oct. So I'm home a lot just sitting and doing what I can. I just signed up for the booster Wednesday since the hospice nurse was worried being around us but mom wouldnt leave him to get her booster until it's over. I could probably go down and stay in the hotel room at hobby and meet my friend and worse comes to worse skip the cruise. Who knows. 

Sounds like you have some awesome cruises and cabins lined up. I got a corner aft in march and some special cabins on allure dec 2022 I'm looking forward to. There has been one JS open off and on for this dec at what is a good price for rcl, 841 pp, but I cant upgrade until I know this dec .. just looking not booking. Good cruises for your future and mine when we can. Good luck. 

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

True hotels are cheaper  ot in Galveston but I was looking for a hotel with free parking which I had for breeze last month and have next January.  Exactly my pt, you too aren't parking in Galveston lol. They have gone up since pre covid. They got greedy. Luckily cruise private parking I found some deals. 

I've been going and staying in Galveston for over 40 years. Briefly thought about a condo but decided on cape Canaveral   . Because of the weather. But I do know Galveston pretty darn well .. 

So far been lucky. Breeze b2b left on a monday, so wasnt a fri or sat., vista booked hotel 9 months in advance lololol. Crazy I know. I live in texas so staying in texas city does nothing but give me a head start next  morning. 

I really enjoyed cruising from Port Canaveral on the last cruise. We almost booked the MG for a late May cruise as the price and itinerary were comparable.  I decided last minute that I did not want to be bothered with the logistics of a flight with air travel being so unreliable lately.  The last thing I wanted was a last minute flight cancellation that left me rushing to het to Florida in time.  And no one felt mike making the drive since it’s not the whole family this time. 

I am going to miss the beautiful water at the port though.