ZGSCL Live from the Koningsdam: November 14th 7 day Mexican Rivera

zgscl

1 hour ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I hope you have better luck with the Concierge on sorting out the lack of credit on prepaid reservations than I did this fall on the NA. He said it was taken care of and it wasn't which is why I had to deal directly with the Mariner Society after I returned home to get the credit.

Please advise if your issues were taken care of as I will be on this ship in February and don't want to have to deal with what should be an easy accounting issue for HAL. Thanks.

I hope it's good for you in February.  I'm sure it's been 4 years since I've last sailed on the koningsdam and I had issues then with not getting the discounts.  Same the first week this time.  I don't recall having these issues on other ships.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, leerathje said:

Do you think it's actually a metronome?

Sure doesn't look like a metronome to me. There's no moving piece in the middle, or the piece you slide up and down to change the speed. 
Too long, too. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zgscl said:

I will probably do a more detailed review of the cabanas when I get back so it is easier for folks to find

Thanks! I definitely will be reading it. We have gotten cabanas previously on the Eurodam and enjoyed them a lot except for the one windy day where we couldn't use it.

Sandy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Just to clarify it’s not like she is rude or miserable, she’s just very cold.  I also asked if she would check if my wine would be carried over to this cruise since I had 2 booking numbers and different rooms.  She didn’t do it after she said she would.  I finally got an answer from the wine steward at the time in the pinnacle. The hostesses are so warm in club orange and Canaletto it’s just such a stark difference.

Ah that makes sense. She was pleasant but I didn’t need anything more than to be seated so my interactions were very limited. Tamarind was lovely and they were very friendly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I hope you have better luck with the Concierge on sorting out the lack of credit on prepaid reservations than I did this fall on the NA. He said it was taken care of and it wasn't which is why I had to deal directly with the Mariner Society after I returned home to get the credit.

Please advise if your issues were taken care of as I will be on this ship in February and don't want to have to deal with what should be an easy accounting issue for HAL. Thanks.

No luck yet but I will let you know. I will ask again towards the end of the cruise if I don’t see a credit post. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, zgscl said:

Ah that makes sense. She was pleasant but I didn’t need anything more than to be seated so my interactions were very limited. Tamarind was lovely and they were very friendly. 

The ladies are just lovely always.  There is also a guy working in there.  First time I've seen that.  Hes very pleasant as well.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Greysandy said:

Thanks! I definitely will be reading it. We have gotten cabanas previously on the Eurodam and enjoyed them a lot except for the one windy day where we couldn't use it.

Sandy

The cabanas on the pinnacle ships have a little more protection because there is more plexiglass but it does tend to get windy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That cheese plate from yesterday (post #169), looks like melba toast!  No crackers??

I had that type of cracker with the cheese plate pre Covid....  Not rice crackers as far as I know, and definitely not melba toast.  They're just a plain cracker, not much taste (so you enjoy the cheese, I suppose).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I had that type of cracker with the cheese plate pre Covid....  Not rice crackers as far as I know, and definitely not melba toast.  They're just a plain cracker, not much taste (so you enjoy the cheese, I suppose).

Exactly, they were just fairly plain crackers.

• Like 3

Tuesday dinner was in the Pinnacle Grill where I finally got to try the clothesline candied bacon which was fantastic. Not sure how I have been missing out on this. It is a little peppery and a bit sweet. I also tried the wedge salad which I also enjoyed. I found the service efficient and friendly. It is amazing how much more quickly dining goes as a solo traveler. 

IMG_1942.thumb.jpeg.076c176d9c255580fec49e1e20920164.jpeg

IMG_1943.thumb.jpeg.64a1eff79e088c4a55c1e38391f4a05f.jpeg

For my main course I did the ribeye and added a lobster tail. I also could not resist the lobster mac & cheese which was incredible. One of the best things I have had onboard. I always like the creamed spinach on the side. For desert, I always have the chocolate soufflé. 

IMG_1946.thumb.jpeg.6a623f19c91727390640af4be0c83ef9.jpeg

IMG_1947.thumb.jpeg.ae9af52ab747262495efde05419ae110.jpeg

IMG_1948.thumb.jpeg.9c5a2d1862fe1b3c5b0226b1cba212ad.jpeg

IMG_1950.thumb.jpeg.436ceab00e5f309ffbf699d90f43976b.jpeg

IMG_1951.thumb.jpeg.1155c5b52cfe814a863a0eb1fd752fd1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zgscl said:

Tuesday dinner was in the Pinnacle Grill where I finally got to try the clothesline candied bacon which was fantastic. Not sure how I have been missing out on this. It is a little peppery and a bit sweet. I also tried the wedge salad which I also enjoyed. I found the service efficient and friendly. It is amazing how much more quickly dining goes as a solo traveler. 

IMG_1942.thumb.jpeg.076c176d9c255580fec49e1e20920164.jpeg

IMG_1943.thumb.jpeg.64a1eff79e088c4a55c1e38391f4a05f.jpeg

For my main course I did the ribeye and added a lobster tail. I also could not resist the lobster mac & cheese which was incredible. One of the best things I have had onboard. I always like the creamed spinach on the side. For desert, I always have the chocolate soufflé. 

IMG_1946.thumb.jpeg.6a623f19c91727390640af4be0c83ef9.jpeg

IMG_1947.thumb.jpeg.ae9af52ab747262495efde05419ae110.jpeg

IMG_1948.thumb.jpeg.9c5a2d1862fe1b3c5b0226b1cba212ad.jpeg

IMG_1950.thumb.jpeg.436ceab00e5f309ffbf699d90f43976b.jpeg

IMG_1951.thumb.jpeg.1155c5b52cfe814a863a0eb1fd752fd1.jpeg

I have never ever ordered the wedge salad.  It looks good with a clean taste.  I may just try it next time and maybe even the clothes line bacon.

I join you in the love of the spinach & the souffle.  Thanks so much for sharing so much.  Really enjoying your thread 🙂 

• Like 3

@zgsclDid you receive the dish of candies and truffles at the conclusion of your Pinnacle dinner?   They were not offered to us last week and I had forgotten about that tradition until I saw your pictures.  Our service was not that great.  We have always been reminded to order the chocolate souffle when we order our meal because it takes more time to prepare but our waiter said that would not be an issue.  We waited a long time for the chocolate souffles to arrive.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

@zgsclDid you receive the dish of candies and truffles at the conclusion of your Pinnacle dinner?   They were not offered to us last week and I had forgotten about that tradition until I saw your pictures.  Our service was not that great.  We have always been reminded to order the chocolate souffle when we order our meal because it takes more time to prepare but our waiter said that would not be an issue.  We waited a long time for the chocolate souffles to arrive.   

I was not offered them either for dinner but I got them at lunch if I remember correctly. Go figure.  Maybe it depends on the waiter.  Funny thing too I thought is the one tiny piece of bread they dole out yet they give you a lot of butter.  I’ve had plenty of food there but it’s just odd I feel.

I know people are fussed about that bacon but I find it so so even though I love ❤️bacon.  Pretty much have it every day for breakfast but usually stay away from it at home to make up for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I know people are fussed about that bacon but I find it so so even though I love ❤️bacon

It's a pretentious item on the menu and totally unacceptable for me as an appetizer.  Others enjoy it; please do so.  But, it is something that I would never consider ordering as an appetizer for dinner.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zgscl I’m looking forward to hearing about sel de mer experience.

I went to club orange after skipping my excursion.  I think I made a good decision on that one.  I had onion soup, asparagus salad and the swordfish.  Everything was delicious and I would say it was as good as any specialty restaurant.  I think if I cruise on pinnacle ships I will buy club orange and not do so many specialty.  

I’ve found the Internet to be the worst of the trip all day today.  So slow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Zgscl I’m looking forward to hearing about sel de mer experience.

I went to club orange after skipping my excursion.  I think I made a good decision on that one.  I had onion soup, asparagus salad and the swordfish.  Everything was delicious and I would say it was as good as any specialty restaurant.  I think if I cruise on pinnacle ships I will buy club orange and not do so many specialty.  

I’ve found the Internet to be the worst of the trip all day today.  So slow.

I thought it was quite good. I had the lamb which was done perfectly. Everyone was on their A game as the captain and hotel director were having dinner there. 

I agree about club orange, I might actually cancel my tamarind for tomorrow night and just do C.O. 

Thanks for the tip on tonight’s special, not my thing at all either 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It's a pretentious item on the menu and totally unacceptable for me as an appetizer.  Others enjoy it; please do so.  But, it is something that I would never consider ordering as an appetizer for dinner.  

I don't disagree with you. I would order it as a supplemental item but not as a main starter. 

• Like 2