Has anyone requested an exception to the RCCL masking protocol?

Ken

2 hours ago, Ken said:

More information:  My initial posting was made because of my adult son who is a quadriplegic. He uses a power wheelchair every minute that he is not in bed and operates the chair by sipping and puffing on a straw-like mechanism. He can neither put on or take off a mask, and if he attempts to wear a mask, his lung capacity is so diminished that he cannot breathe well. He is fully vaccinated and actually had COVID a year ago. We have requested an accommodation from RCCL and they are considering it. I believe that it will be safe for him to cruise, but now I am not sure that he will be accepted by the other passengers. We are long-time cruisers and my son has had great experiences in the past. I did not post a follow up message because no one actually answered my initial question. Thanks all for posting.

My somewhat tongue in cheek post was also how would crew know he had a exemption? There isnt a way to mark him at this time.

If you need maskless it would be a lot easier on you to book with celebrity or ncl. 

Carnival is more strict and not allowing oxygen users onboard. Princess too so I wouldnt do one of these. If he is breathing thru a tube, many line wouldnt let him board right now. 

• Like 1

If you were more specific from the start with your question, you would have received much different responses. 

Again, my suggestion. Cruise Celebrity!

Edge or Apex the two newest ships. 

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival is more strict and not allowing oxygen users onboard. Princess too so I wouldnt do one of these. If he is breathing thru a tube, many line wouldnt let him board right now. 

Ummm...the OP says his son blows air into and sips air through a straw like tube to control his power wheelchair.  He did not say his son is on oxygen.  He said wearing a mask stresses his lungs and, of course, would not allow him to control his power chair.

9 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

Ummm...the OP says his son blows air into and sips air through a straw like tube to control his power wheelchair.  He did not say his son is on oxygen.  He said wearing a mask stresses his lungs and, of course, would not allow him to control his power chair.

I read that myself. Neither you nor I are aware of his condition totally. 

Agree with above posters who suggest a maskless cruise as crew will not be aware if he was granted a exemption. I too feel like I cant breath in a mask. I spent a lot of time outside and skipped shore excursions. 90 degrees in a mask in cozumel where it will be required was too much for me. Stayed on the ship. 

10 hours ago, Ken said:

I realize that was important information, but I live with it every day, and I just forgot to include it. I originally posted in the special needs forum, but the topic was moved here, and I am sure that is why. I am sorry.

I really hope you family gets to cruise on the ship of your choice.  If RCL turns out to not work, I echo others in considering Celebrity.  Beautiful ships and masks are optional only for the fully vaccinated. 

13 hours ago, Ken said:

More information:  My initial posting was made because of my adult son who is a quadriplegic. He uses a power wheelchair every minute that he is not in bed and operates the chair by sipping and puffing on a straw-like mechanism. He can neither put on or take off a mask, and if he attempts to wear a mask, his lung capacity is so diminished that he cannot breathe well. He is fully vaccinated and actually had COVID a year ago. 

Ken, CDC guidelines list the following as a category of "people [who] are exempt from the requirement to wear a mask": "A person with a disability who cannot wear a mask, or cannot safely wear a mask, for reasons related to the disability."  I'd have to think that since the cruising mask guidelines are largely based on CDC instructions, they'd go with that.

I'll now duck & cover from the incoming anti-mask outrage (or glee).

--bruce T.

• Like 2

There are people who will wear a lanyard around their neck so that they don't have to carry a purse to hold their cruise card and there are some willing to carry a container to carry a mask. Where are you ladies who insist you don't have pockets to carry a cruise card going to carry these devices?  Asking for a friend.

9 hours ago, Btank said:

Ken, CDC guidelines list the following as a category of "people [who] are exempt from the requirement to wear a mask": "A person with a disability who cannot wear a mask, or cannot safely wear a mask, for reasons related to the disability."  I'd have to think that since the cruising mask guidelines are largely based on CDC instructions, they'd go with that.

I'll now duck & cover from the incoming anti-mask outrage (or glee).

--bruce T.

If the OP had a qualifying condition he wouldn't be asking the question. This is clearly the rules don't apply to me situation.  Like other have said if the port requires a mask it doesn't even matter what happens on the ship. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

There are people who will wear a lanyard around their neck so that they don't have to carry a purse to hold their cruise card and there are some willing to carry a container to carry a mask. Where are you ladies who insist you don't have pockets to carry a cruise card going to carry these devices?  Asking for a friend.

I wore my mask while walking through the ship and sat it on the table while I ate, on top of my little bag for my camera and phone.  I sometimes carry my mask around my arm.

3 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

I wore my mask while walking through the ship and sat it on the table while I ate, on top of my little bag for my camera and phone.  I sometimes carry my mask around my arm.

I wear mine under my chin when I eat lunch at work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

If the OP had a qualifying condition he wouldn't be asking the question. This is clearly the rules don't apply to me situation.  Like other have said if the port requires a mask it doesn't even matter what happens on the ship. 

Did you read the entire thread before posting?

• Like 4

No reasonable person would even consider being difficult about op's son being maskless on the cruise.  My only concern would be for op's son in that even though I am triple vaccinated and unlikely to carry Covid, I could.  I would recognize op's son has unknown issues to and I would be more afraid of harming him than I would be that he would harm me and for that reason I wouldn't think about my need to be masked in his presence for his safety.

Unfortunately there are too many people who are willing to cheat the rules for their own selfish reasons that require everyone else to give pause to those that request an exemption since the bulk of these requests seem to be fraudulent.  Unfortunately, these people don't understand that the virus is not political, doesn't care who its victims are, and we all wear masks and vaccinate to protect each other.  None of us like it, but its better than the millions more dead if we didn't have vaccines and masks.

Edited by jgoodm
  • Like 4

Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my initial question. I appreciate your input.  If RCCL goes along with CDC guidelines, it looks like we have reason for optimism for a favorable decision. If so, the final decision will be left up to my son, and he has always believed that vaccination along with antibodies from his previous exposure to Covid will protect him. It has up to now as he lives his daily life. If RCCL decides against us, then we will plan simply something else. We have until the end of January to settle this.  Thanks again to all.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just wouldnt want to be that pax with a exemption knowing I'd get dirty looks from pax who are mask police. . And you know anyone without a mask would get them. People wouldnt know he had been exempted. I'd be uncomfortable. 

Hmm...I totally disagree!  Did you read the thread and the circumstances behind the exemption request?  I think other pax would be VERY accepting and understanding when they saw the quadriplegic man with no mask controlling his electric wheelchair by using a breath tube.  Why would that generate a dirty look?  I think people would instantly figure out why he had been exempted.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well I would think that being a quadriplegic and having to use a "sip and puff" wheelchair is definitely a qualifying condition but of course you just jumped to conclusions, accusing the OP of wanting to bend the rules, without even reading the entire thread.  So typical around here 

Edited by ryano

@Ken Ken - you can request an exemption. Send an email to Royal Caribbean's special needs department. They will write back acknowledging your request. As it moves down the line, you will be asked to provide medical documentation, including the contact info from the doctor. You will be asked to provide a waiver so they can contact the doctor to receive information. They will make their decision from there. 

• Like 1