Canadians: RCI onboard testing prior to disembarking

Tracy Po

13 minutes ago, nlcruiser01 said:

Thanks, @Ourusualbeach.  My conversation with the Royal rep.was just this past Thursday, so I appreciate your clarification.   It will be interesting to see if I receive a reply to my email of November 11, and if so, what they tell me. 

Don't forget that unfortunately shoreside personnel are sometimes the last to hear of changes

Just off a B2B on Symphony yesterday which we booked the Monday before the Saturday sailing. On board we had to do a free antigen in the conference centre on day 5 of 1st week, required of all consecutive cruisers, info to scan QR code to arrange was delivered in cabin a day or two before.

Received a free PCR on day 6 of second leg and results came that evening around evening turn down time, to arrange we had to call the medical centre and that it was done. As for the line ups we were in and out in minutes, only had to line up with 70ish consecutive cruisers the first time and 20ish Canadians for the PCR, seamless experience.

As for numbers on board 1st week 2994, 2nd week 3430. Royal is doing their best to follow government (CDC) guidelines all while understanding trying to manage cruisers is like trying to heard cats. All staff were excellent but I've very rarely had a poor encounter. They are happy to see us and we were happy to see them 🙂

99.8%+ of all pax were just doing their best to get along with the mask regs and not cause grief for the crew. Limit of 6 in the elevator gets ignored pretty quickly but that's because you realize how impractical it is. You can be 20 people shoulder to shoulder waiting for the elevator but only 6 inside, go figure. Pretty sure here again Royal is just towing the line with bureaucratic restrictions not wanting another shutdown due to non compliance.

Did not encounter any Covid Zelots rather just people trying their best to go on living and cruising. Had a great vacation, Royal is doing an awesome job IMHO.

Rules changing often and at times without notice but we just roll with it as best we can.

April, August and October 2022 booked and ready to go.

Edited by DrewFoundLander
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Make no mistake PCR testing costs money.  Logically at some point Royal may have to implement a charge for departure testing if the numbers grow to the point that it represents a significant cost to the company.  

My personal take is that Royal is not looking at it right now because it's not something that has grown to the point that they have to hire additional resources to provide it.  Once more and more international travelers complete more cruises it will begin to become apparent what the cost of departure testing truly represents and at some point Royal will need to charge for it. 

With so many people asking about it, it's now on their radar screens so they may start looking at the numbers of international travelers that are booked over the next several months and they may or may not choose to implement a policy change.   If they fear it will induce CWC cancellations they may hold off for now.  They'll review it carefully.   

It's a good business decision to provide the testing, as it's a potential deterrent to Canadians, and travellers from other countries, from sailing at all. Until I read that detail in the sailing protocols, our trip was almost entirely contingent on whether Canada drops the molecular testing requirement for re-entry (now we just need Canada to approve the vaccine for kids under 12 and we are good to go!).

Also, RCI may well be making up some of that expense by selling the antigen tests required before boarding (interesting side business, RCI!).

Anyway, thanks to everyone who shared info and their experience with this! I am cautiously excited for March! 

Edited by Tracy Po
I am bad at the Internet.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tracy Po said:

It's a good business decision to provide the testing, as it's a potential deterrent to Canadians, and travellers from other countries, from sailing at all. 

That's likely exactly why they haven't started charging for them so far.

31 minutes ago, Tracy Po said:

Also, RCI may well be making up some of that expense by selling the antigen tests required before boarding (interesting side business, RCI!).

FWIW all charged tests are passed through without markup.  They make no money on testing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrewFoundLander said:

Just off a B2B on Symphony yesterday which we booked the Monday before the Saturday sailing. On board we had to do a free antigen in the conference centre on day 5 of 1st week, required of all consecutive cruisers, info to scan QR code to arrange was delivered in cabin a day or two before.

Received a free PCR on day 6 of second leg and results came that evening around evening turn down time, to arrange we had to call the medical centre and that it was done. As for the line ups we were in and out in minutes, only had to line up with 70ish consecutive cruisers the first time and 20ish Canadians for the PCR, seamless experience.

As for numbers on board 1st week 2994, 2nd week 3430. Royal is doing their best to follow government (CDC) guidelines all while understanding trying to manage cruisers is like trying to heard cats. All staff were excellent but I've very rarely had a poor encounter. They are happy to see us and we were happy to see them 🙂

99.8%+ of all pax were just doing their best to get along with the mask regs and not cause grief for the crew. Limit of 6 in the elevator gets ignored pretty quickly but that's because you realize how impractical it is. You can be 20 people shoulder to shoulder waiting for the elevator but only 6 inside, go figure. Pretty sure here again Royal is just towing the line with bureaucratic restrictions not wanting another shutdown due to non compliance.

Did not encounter any Covid Zelots rather just people trying their best to go on living and cruising. Had a great vacation, Royal is doing an awesome job IMHO.

Rules changing often and at times without notice but we just roll with it as best we can.

April, August and October 2022 booked and ready to go.

Around what time was the PCR testing done and do you know if there was any flexibility in timing? I heard it was a brutally early 8 AM. I get Insomnia sometimes especially on travel because I’m dealing with missing flights, etc. and I’m already working myself into anxiety thinking about having to get up that early for testing. 😞

31 minutes ago, ssworde said:

I am also just off the Symphony, possibly in line at the same time as the other poster.    Ours was scheduled for 8:30 am.  They seemed to imply that was the only time they were going to do it, we just took what was offered.

Godddd d#%nnnnit 😞 thank you for letting me know anyway. Guess not much I can do but I will ask to see if they would take my sample Wednesday afternoon. No reason they couldn’t take it early and still run it in the same batch if my flight is within the 72 hours

10 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Around what time was the PCR testing done and do you know if there was any flexibility in timing? I heard it was a brutally early 8 AM. I get Insomnia sometimes especially on travel because I’m dealing with missing flights, etc. and I’m already working myself into anxiety thinking about having to get up that early for testing. 😞

We were told it had to be between 8 and 9AM, ours was aprox 8:30AM

Edited by DrewFoundLander

12 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Godddd d#%nnnnit 😞 thank you for letting me know anyway. Guess not much I can do but I will ask to see if they would take my sample Wednesday afternoon. No reason they couldn’t take it early and still run it in the same batch if my flight is within the 72 hours

They are doing this as a courtesy, and I'm just happy that they aren't suddenly deciding to charge for them like Celebrity. 

Given that the brain trust in Ottawa is unlikely to decide to either allow Antigen tests, or dispense with the return testing requirement for vaxxed travelers, I'm grateful that I don't have to try shoehorning a Rapid PCR test in while juggling Air Canada flight availabilities.  Getting up in time for a test - getting up by 8:00 for one day isn't unreasonable, even if you're on vacation - or having to book an extra day hotel, find a place that accepts Canadians to get tested (not as easy as you think), and get there after getting off a relaxing cruise? For me, the former is certainly the least stressful option.

• Like 1

Ours was the day before disembarking, yes.     It ran really smooth, they had all swabs prepped in different rooms all written up and ready to go.   (in line they asked for your deck number, and then sent to  you the correct room).   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruzincanuck said:

Was it the day before disembarkation that it took place?  

Yes it was the day before disembarkation which we thought that may be cutting it close but it turns out not. Had the test 8:30AM and printed results delivered to our stateroom around 8PM.

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Anthem yesterday. We tried to make the appointment for the PCR test with guest services but he didn't seem to know what we were talking about. He did find out and left us a message. There is a QR code to scan and this takes you to a web site (it's free, no internet needed). We booked our appointments for 10am on Saturday and there were appointments available from 8am until noon. And it was not the deep nose test. Results were left on our bed at turn down on Saturday night plus emailed to us. 

• Like 4

Thank you Drewfoundlander for all your information about your testing onboard Symphony of the Seas.  As a fellow Canadian, and in need of that PCR test to re-enter Canada, do you recall if you needed to provide proof of your airline reservation for your return to Canada and was the PCR test only offered to individuals flying within 24 hours of debarkation?  I see your test was between 8 and 9 am, the day prior to debarkation.    If we decide to cruise, we would be driving back Toronto, I wonder if we are eligible for that PCR Test.    Cost is not an issue for us.  It is the convenience of getting it done on the ship that is important to us.  

• Like 1

I am fine with paying for the test and could also live with it being as soon as we arrive at the terminal ONLY if I know in advance as I would not leave the same day and stay in Florida an extra night.   Stuff happens and there is no time for a plan B if I do not get the email in time or at all OR somehow the test gets contaminated, lost, whatever.

If no test comes in, we blow the flights, need to find other flights in busy season and a hotel room.

We have 3 cruises coming up, one in Dec and 2 in Jan (back to back) on RCL and Celeb and booked our flights, same day as the current info was PCR tests on board.   If I know now that has changed, I will change the flights and add a night, a bit of a pain but considering what the world is going through, no problem.  I just do not want them to spring this on us the last second.  OK RCCL, are you taking notes :)?

• Like 2

I agree with the wanting to know in advance (of course my cruises aren't until March so I am also hoping we won't have to test by then but planning any way). I have flights booked to come home the day the cruise ends but if there is an issue with getting tested beforehand I can change that flight home, I'm pretty sure I still have a "free" change on that one and there should still be a direct flight home on the Monday. Means missing another day of work (and school I guess) ... but since I have so much vacation banked from not going anywhere for two years I guess that'd work out ok. I am considering getting the Switch tests for travelling if things are settled in time. At least I could probably do the day before. 

6 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

I agree with the wanting to know in advance (of course my cruises aren't until March so I am also hoping we won't have to test by then but planning any way). I have flights booked to come home the day the cruise ends but if there is an issue with getting tested beforehand I can change that flight home, I'm pretty sure I still have a "free" change on that one and there should still be a direct flight home on the Monday. Means missing another day of work (and school I guess) ... but since I have so much vacation banked from not going anywhere for two years I guess that'd work out ok. I am considering getting the Switch tests for travelling if things are settled in time. At least I could probably do the day before. 

Don’t pay for the switch test, you’ll be fine. As a health care worker once told me up here, “don’t pay for health care services you can get for free!”  I am sure Royal will have this all organized, Canadians aren’t the only travelers that need a test and they know international travelers are counting on this service. It sounds like a well-oiled machine in most cases, whether it’s on the ship or in port 

23 hours ago, pink845 said:

Thank you Drewfoundlander for all your information about your testing onboard Symphony of the Seas.  As a fellow Canadian, and in need of that PCR test to re-enter Canada, do you recall if you needed to provide proof of your airline reservation for your return to Canada and was the PCR test only offered to individuals flying within 24 hours of debarkation?  I see your test was between 8 and 9 am, the day prior to debarkation.    If we decide to cruise, we would be driving back Toronto, I wonder if we are eligible for that PCR Test.    Cost is not an issue for us.  It is the convenience of getting it done on the ship that is important to us.  

I'm Mrs. DrewFoundlander so many I can answer this for you. We did not need to show our proof of airline reservation. We just said we were Canadian and needed the PCR test to re-enter the country and that was it. We didn't need to show any documentation at all. Unless they already knew it from our departure info/luggage tag form. But we didn't have to show anything at the medical center.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:07 PM, julesbeara said:

Go to Guest Services when you board and let them know you'll need testing to fly home.  All testing is done 1st thing in the morning the day before debarkation.  You will get a letter in your stateroom indicating the testing locatiion.  It is a rapid PCR test (molecular), and results are emailed to you within a few hours.

Did this in August.  Got our test results 2 hours after getting the PCR test done on the last evening of the cruise.  Everything worked absolutely flawlessly.  Too bad RCCL sounds like they are messing with a perfect process and moving it shoreside on the morning of disembarkation.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:52 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Testing for international guests will be changing to departure day outside of thr terminal with results e mailed to you for all US ports.  I had mine in 50 minutes this morning. 

Glad it was quick for you.  Personally, I liked how they did it before, and you got your results in hand the last night of the cruise so that there was no issue like Don experienced with Celebrity Cruises a few months back.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:50 AM, Chrissit said:

We are pleased to clarify this offering will continue for all existing bookings. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test. 

Sincerely,  
Celebrity Cruises 

Good to see that for those people who booked when the policy was that the PCR test would be done for free, they will still honour that.  Sounds like they are only charging people who require it if you booked your cruise after November 15th.

On 11/15/2021 at 4:02 PM, Cardex said:

There is a QR code to scan and this takes you to a web site (it's free, no internet needed). We booked our appointments for 10am on Saturday and there were appointments available from 8am until noon. And it was not the deep nose test. Results were left on our bed at turn down on Saturday night plus emailed to us. 

The QR code thing only works for the rapid test, which is not acceptable currently for re-entry into Canada.  We had to go to Guest Services directly on our cruise a couple of months ago to book the PCR test.

10 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

The QR code thing only works for the rapid test, which is not acceptable currently for re-entry into Canada.  We had to go to Guest Services directly on our cruise a couple of months ago to book the PCR test.

This must have changed. We had the choice to book an appointment for the antigen or PCR. We booked the PCR test. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Did this in August.  Got our test results 2 hours after getting the PCR test done on the last evening of the cruise.  Everything worked absolutely flawlessly.  Too bad RCCL sounds like they are messing with a perfect process and moving it shoreside on the morning of disembarkation.

I’m not liking this change too much. I’d prefer it being done the day prior than when stepping off the ship.  Don’t our tests have to be uploaded 24 hours before our arrival or is just prior to our arrival OK?

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

We are currently on Harmony and getting the run around.Guest services is saying the test are back at the terminal when we get off.I showed them what their website says about getting it on board.Seems their info they were given doesn't match what it says on Royal's website. They are looking into it and will contact us.Good ol Royal communication......

4 minutes ago, NSnewcruiser said:

We are currently on Harmony and getting the run around.Guest services is saying the test are back at the terminal when we get off.I showed them what their website says about getting it on board.Seems their info they were given doesn't match what it says on Royal's website. They are looking into it and will contact us.Good ol Royal communication......

Jayssszzzuuuusss chroiiiiist this is serious. Let us know what happens. Luckily I have a 2 PM flight on my debark day which leaves some time to deal with a test on land if I have to but I would really rather avoid the crunch.