Christmas day evening wear

claurosani

Hello,

Hope that some experienced cruisers can help: we're cruising over Christmas but are not sure just how dressy this particular evening is (we will be going on Carnival). We are desperately trying to avoid over-packing so hopefully we can make do with a nice dress and trousers/blazers for the men. Would this be ok?

Or does this particular evening get even more formal? Also, what is the weather likely to be, for a Caribbean cruise? Are the ships air-conditioned so that it will be good to have a wrap or layer to go over the dress? 

Sorry for all the questions but the last time I cruised over the Holidays was in the early 80s and I remember my mom packed long dresses for me for every night as it was always formal! I'm sure things have changed since... 

Claudia 

The last time we sailed on Christmas was a number of years ago, but at that time we were pleased that the vast majority of passengers dressed up on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day evening as well.  Both evenings had special menus, shows, carol singing, etc., and many outfits were beautiful and formal.

Since then, we've sailed earlier in December a number of times.  I expected to see a lot of "ugly Christmas sweaters", but did not.  However, one evening there was a family screening of a Christmas movie (Elf, maybe), and families were invited to attend in their Christmas pajamas.

I guess the possibilities are endless!  Personally, we would be dressing up, but I suspect many will not.

22 hours ago, claurosani said:

(we will be going on Carnival). We are desperately trying to avoid over-packing so hopefully we can make do with a nice dress and trousers/blazers for the men. Would this be ok?

yes it would. Havent sailed at Xmas but would suspect anything you would wear to nice Christmas evening out onshore will be acceptable and i do think people will make more of an effort at Xmas. Hope you have a lovely time. Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

From various posts over the years, Carnival tends to attract a younger demographic than some other lines like Holland America, might be a bit less "dressed up' Hopefully, some carnival cruisers will respond to your question.

• 2 weeks later...