Is labadee open?

So sad to see this happening.   But I rather be safe somewhere else, till they can 

get those issues resolved.

We are from Pennsylvania.

Praying every day for those missionaries including children,

who were  kidnapped last month in Haiti.  They are still there.

Something has to be done to find them and  bring them home safe.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, LATTELOVE said:

So sad to see this happening.   But I rather be safe somewhere else, till they can 

get those issues resolved.

We are from Pennsylvania.

Praying every day for those missionaries including children,

who were  kidnapped last month in Haiti.  They are still there.

Something has to be done to find them and  bring them home safe.

Hopefully something going on behind the scenes but the national news sure is quiet on it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RN4Nsy said:

For my upcoming Cruise an extra day at sea and a day in St Maarten replaced Labadee and Puerto Rico.

Why is RCI replacing Puerto Rico? A friend is presently on NCL Breakaway and they stopped in Puerto Rico.

We have St Thomas, Labadee and Puerto Rico for our August Oasis cruise. Only St Thomas excursions are showing in the cruise planner with Black Friday coming it would have been nice to get deals on the other excursions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I would not expect Labadee to ever open again. 

Agree with country instability, but assuming COVID is ever  "under control" in Haiti, so locals can work at Labadee (BIG IF), no reason for RCL to not stop there.  Just not offer excursions outside the Labadee area.

1 hour ago, smokeykat said:

Why is RCI replacing Puerto Rico? A friend is presently on NCL Breakaway and they stopped in Puerto Rico.

I suspect that they do it on the cruises that included Labadee AND Puerto Rico, to make efficient use of fuel.  Our new stops were both in Mexico.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smokeykat said:

We have St Thomas, Labadee and Puerto Rico for our August Oasis cruise. Only St Thomas excursions are showing in the cruise planner with Black Friday coming it would have been nice to get deals on the other excursions.

I remember there was some issue with an agreement with the port in PR, but don't know if was  resolved.  

22 hours ago, BND said:

RCI wasn't there during the unrest and earthquake so the area was left basically unprotected for well over 18 months.  I don't think they had any say.  Haiti owns that land and RCI had a lease, but who knows the status of that.

That is so sad.  😢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LATTELOVE said:

Hmmm,

We will be on Royal Caribbean Symphony  Of The Seas 

in December  and Puerto Rico is on our itinerary.

I hope they don't change it.

Harmony is there today so you're probably good to go.

This has nothing to do with COVID.  Right now locals have taken over Labadee.  They are living there.  Since RCL rents the land from the government but there is no government to speak of.  The country is under the control of gangs.  I just cannot imagine they will ever go back.  I think they will take their loses and move on which is a shame, I loved Labadee.  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, cindyscruise said:

This has nothing to do with COVID.  Right now locals have taken over Labadee.  They are living there.  Since RCL rents the land from the government but there is no government to speak of.  The country is under the control of gangs.  I just cannot imagine they will ever go back.  I think they will take their loses and move on which is a shame, I loved Labadee.  

I think  Covid had something to do with it.  With ships not visiting regularly, it made it easy for them to move in and take over while the island was dealing with Covid and then the government problems.  BTW, they've had government problems for years.   It's been a corrupt government for as long as I can remember.   It doesn't help that church organizations have been working there for years while really making no headway.  The people have no motivation because they know they can't really make any progress.  

Edited by BND

The way things look, Labadee is pretty much done.  In most third world unrest situations where law and order cease to exist, the place will be stripped bare of anything valuable and what cannot be taken will be destroyed by squatters and scavengers. I doubt Labadee will be any different.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, maggieq said:

Wow!   I would hope it does.  

More than the assassination of the Haitian president in July. It is more than the earthquake in August. More than the ongoing political unrest. Royal will ever risk cruise ship passengers being attacked or kidnapped. It's been over a month since the 16 Americans and Canadians (including children) were kidnapped in Haiti. 

• Like 1

This is both stupid and sad.  Doesn't the government have tanks or something? The Haitian gangs may have AK-47's their ilk, but armored tanks full of ammo can easily restore law and order in less than a day, and they can travel over roadless terrain effortlessly.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, BND said:

They removed it from our Nov 28 cruise a couple of months ago.  Don't expect Labadee for quite awhile if ever.  There have been reports of locals basically moving in and trashing it so not sure if it's even in any shape for cruisers.  But, the political situation hasn't changed there and won't likely for a long time.  A lot of people believe it will never be used again.

plus 1