Boston pre cruise…how many days?

Hyperpipe

We are going to stay in Boston before our cruise in Sept 2022. We board the ship on a Wednesday. Wondering what length of stay people recommend to properly see the sights in Boston?  We have never been and It's unlikely we will be back again. We don't want to be flying around trying to see everything in a day .. what are must sees  and how long to cover them. Any advice appreciated.

3 hours ago, Hyperpipe said:

We are going to stay in Boston before our cruise in Sept 2022. We board the ship on a Wednesday. Wondering what length of stay people recommend to properly see the sights in Boston?  We have never been and It's unlikely we will be back again. We don't want to be flying around trying to see everything in a day .. what are must sees  and how long to cover them. Any advice appreciated.

Give yourself at least two full days - meaning three hotel nights. Historic sites, museums, interesting neighborhoods. Then do a bit of research to pick out the several things you most want to see/do.

Boston is easily worth a week.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hyperpipe said:

As mentioned 3 full days would be perfect as long as you don't want to go "Out of the City" like to Salem, MA for the House of Seven Gables or Dorchester, MA for the JFKennedy Library.  However, at this time, pricing is off the charts.  Lowest price of a hotel in the "downtown" area is probably going to run $250 to $300 +/- without any frills.  Taxi or Uber will mount up so staying downtown is best.  Hotels in this area don't run a shuttle.  If you find a hotel near a T stop, that would be good. I'm going through a similar search and we haven't even been able to book flights yet.  I'm from MA & NH, so know the area pretty well.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  HOHO trolley is a must to get a complete overview of this historic city.

Edited by Nanatravel

6 hours ago, Hyperpipe said:

Any advice appreciated.

I agree with navybankerteacher's recommendation of a minimum of 3 hotel nights.  I gave myself only two hotel nights pre-cruise, staying at the Fairmont Copley Plaza, and could not do all that I had hoped to do.  The hotel itself was a delight; it's hotel bar is a hoot when the Red Sox are playing and being shown on the TV screens!  But, a more centrally located hotel would have been a better choice for me.  

1 hour ago, Nanatravel said:

the JFKennedy Library.

It's further away than I thought; didn't get to visit it for which I regret.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree with navybankerteacher's recommendation of a minimum of 3 hotel nights.  I gave myself only two hotel nights pre-cruise, staying at the Fairmont Copley Plaza, and could not do all that I had hoped to do.  The hotel itself was a delight; it's hotel bar is a hoot when the Red Sox are playing and being shown on the TV screens!  But, a more centrally located hotel would have been a better choice for me.  

It's further away than I thought; didn't get to visit it for which I regret.  

The Copley square area is nice but for a historic one-time only visit, again it's just a little to far.  There is a fairly new Hyatt Regency close to Washington St., the Omni Parker House Hotel (extremely small rooms) as we have stayed there.  I'm looking at the Bostonian, Battery Wharf, and Hilton Faneuil Hall as well as over budget Hampton Inn & Homewood Suites or Seaport hotels, which are out at the Seaport area so a Bus ride or Uber away from the Freedom Trail.

In September, consider a baseball game at Fenway. Great pubs and restaurants nearby and historic Fenway is so much fun. Definitely plan on using the T. It is very simple and helps avoid Boston’s “lovely” traffic. Also you could easily rent a car and drive up the coast onto Maine - beaches and lighthouses. Also lots of good walking tours   

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 7:55 AM, cruiserjt said:

In September, consider a baseball game at Fenway. Great pubs and restaurants nearby and historic Fenway is so much fun. Definitely plan on using the T. It is very simple and helps avoid Boston’s “lovely” traffic. Also you could easily rent a car and drive up the coast onto Maine - beaches and lighthouses. Also lots of good walking tours   

Maybe not this year  . . .