Definition of fully-vaccinated may change

mcloaked

With the UK booster vaccination programme now in full swing, and data now widely publicised that 6 months after the 2nd jab protection against being infected is significantly reduced, with and also an increase in the risk of hospitalisation if you are infected with covid, and additionally the latest data shows that having the booster jab 6 months after jab 2 gives a rapid boost to immunity at levels above what the 2nd jab initially provided, so it is surely just a matter of time before the requirements for boarding will mean having had the booster jab as well.  In the UK it looks likely that the booster will become part of the vaccine pass on the NHS app before too long, and it would be hard to understand if Cunard doesn't follow this and require the booster if it has been more than 6 months after the 2nd jab.  I guess it would not be a surprise if the requirements for boarding are changed in the coming weeks or months to include this.

• Like 2

The booster only needs to be after six months but yes for most in the UK who are likely to be booking it probably won't be an issue but for other countries the booster programme may well not be rolling out the same way as in the UK.

In NZ its just been announced that boosters  will be available from end of Nov,  for all over 18's who had their 2nd dose 6 months or more ago.

Given the vast majority of us weren't vaccinated until September - this will work well as a staged roll out and protect health care workers who were vaccinated back in Feb. 

Incidentally I just downloaded my international Covid certificate, because available yesterday - already recognized by the EU (based on their tech I think). Its valid for a year from today's date which I thought was interesting - not a yar from my last jab (Sept). 

I thought  read several months ago that some countries Croatia? were requiring vaccines to be within 6? 9? months? It seems like a good plan given the exploding case numbers in places like Gibraltar and Singapore with high vaccine rates but they were mainly given a while ago. 

Edited by lissie

Given that data has been published recently showing that immunity wanes significantly beyond six months after the second jab, it would make sense to have passengers come on board with a booster jab done once it is beyond six months from jab 2.  If not then there will be an increased risk of transmission and some passengers becoming ill if an increasing number of passengers are well beyond six months after their second jab. Even if it is not a requirement at present, it would be sensible to have had a booster jab to protect yourself and anyone around you once it gets to six months post jab 2 - even if you are not going aboard on a cruise!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:01 AM, mcloaked said:

The booster only needs to be after six months but yes for most in the UK who are likely to be booking it probably won't be an issue but for other countries the booster programme may well not be rolling out the same way as in the UK.

Booster programme started in Australia from 8th November, across all age groups, to be administered 6 months plus, after 2nd dose. There had been a programme prior to that for people who are seriously immunocompromised. So we are moving along quite quickly. In the State of Victoria we will achieve 90% of the eligible population (that's people aged 12 and over) having had two doses of the vaccination by this weekend. As whole, Australia is at around 80% of population aged 12 plus, fully vaccinated, with those states who have had no or very few covid cases starting to speed up their uptake of the vaccination programme.

Just checked, Australia is at 84.2% of ages 16 and over fully vaccinated.

As from today people who have had their booster jab in the UK will now have the booster information included in their NHS Covid Pass, so they will have certification when needed for international travel if the journey or visit requires proof of a booster beyond six months after jab 2.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

As from today people who have had their booster jab in the UK will now have the booster information included in their NHS Covid Pass, so they will have certification when needed for international travel if the journey or visit requires proof of a booster beyond six months after jab 2.

Yep, just checked mine and it's there. 

I dont think that change will happen for several months yet. The booster is currently only available to over 50s plus other vulnerable groups. There's not even any guarantee yet that the UK government is going to open boosters to those under 40. I think most of us assume that with time it will happen but it's not the case that the government has committed to this and the rollout of the booster is not automatically working it's way down through the age brackets as the original vaccine did.

The booster is not needed until six months after jab 2 - and of course the 40 to 50 group mostly won't be coming up to that time yet - but once the majority of the over 50s have had their boosters I wouldn't mind betting that it will be offered to over 40s when it gets to the time that they are approaching the six months when antibody levels will have faded and a booster will make a big difference to protection from infection. Anyone who has not yet reached six months post jab2 will have a perfectly valid Covid Pass in the UK.  The higher the vaccination rate the lower the chance of a rapid rise in hospitalisation and further consequences.  That applies not only to the population on board the ships at any one time but also on land - and hence the huge push for everyone to get their booster when offered in the UK. Of course unvaccinated passengers are a hugely bigger risk than un-boosted passengers - but I bet in the fullness of time the booster will become a requirement on board too. As I was writing this I was also looking at news - and it turns out that on the BBC news site it now says: "The NHS vaccine website says 40 to 49-year-olds should be able to book appointments from Monday 22 November." - so over 40s can book their boosters from Monday"

Edited by mcloaked

11 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

As I was writing this I was also looking at news - and it turns out that on the BBC news site it now says: "The NHS vaccine website says 40 to 49-year-olds should be able to book appointments from Monday 22 November." - so over 40s can book their boosters from Monday"

Yes thats why i said what i said. Reality is that most 40-49s are not yet at the 6 month mark and it is still true that the JCVI has not yet recommended that boosters be made available to under 40s in the UK (apart from vulnerable people). We can speculate that we think it probably will be and we would like to see that but as it stands there isn't a plan to provide boosters to under 40s.

Edited by jimbo1683

Yes that is true - though once most of the over 40s have had their boosters then I expect that it will be opened up to the  30 to 40 group in the UK. Although the easing of restrictions in the UK earlier in the summer led to an expected increase in case rates particularly in younger less vulnerable groups, it means there has been immunity building in the UK from that  policy, as well as the high vaccination rollout - but the vaccine programme needs to continue at pace to avoid a major surge in hospitalisations and deaths over the winter (in the UK). High infection rates alone won't stop another surge in serious cases, without significant numbers being fully vaccinated, as is now being seen in some parts of mainland Europe.  That is the reason I would expect that the boosters will be required for passengers beyond 6 months after jab2,  when the time comes that significant numbers of people reach that milestone.

Would be a pity if the booster is not required, there are plenty of people coming down with COVID now who have had both shots and have seen their immunity wane with time.  In my state (SC), the booster is available without waiting to anyone over 18 who deals with the public, has contact with high risk groups, or is in college housing etc. - or simply checks a box saying such. In other words, anyone. Unfortunately, the vax rate here is only 50%..

• Like 1

Yes it is sad that there are still quite a lot of people who believe the nonsense that has been propagated in media channels about the vaccines and the virus.  Far fewer people will be seriously ill or die if the majority take up their offer of getting the vaccines.  Quite a few people also don't understand that being vaccinated is not just giving protection to the person having the jabs, but protects society as a whole since with fewer people then carrying the virus there is much reduced risk for any one person then being exposed to it in the first place.  We are certainly looking forward to cruises next year - and it is nice that the majority of people booked on the Cunard ships who we know, are jabbed, and taking the need for sensible behaviour seriously. Of course we all want to enjoy ourselves and it is certainly possible but still be sensible.  As far as I have heard the voyages this autumn have been a success and life on board is pretty close to normal as we remember it - even with a few necessary precautions - so roll on 2022!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 5:01 PM, mcloaked said:

The booster only needs to be after six months

but yes for most in the UK who are likely to be booking

it probably won't be an issue -but for other countries

the booster programme may well not be rolling out the same way as in the UK.

Barbados has been giving us booster shots

(you pick which one: Pfizer, Astra-Z, Johson&Johnson or Sinopharm)

for over a month  now!

When someone asks it you've been vaccinated..

now you can throw up that 3-finger salute to confirm your booster!

3finger Confirmation!.jpg

• Haha 1