The Daily for Friday November 19, 2021

richwmn

27 minutes ago, dfish said:

I told my sister we are getting a generator for our retirement home.  We’re getting too old for this.  Besides, this is boring with a capital B.

that’s exactly what we said a couple of years ago.  

Just remember they have to be serviced annually to keep the warranty.

if you are lazy like me, I recommend a stand by generator.  It comes on automatically if your power goes out.  And comes on once a week for about 10-15 minutes to test it’s. System.

I went mid point in mine - plus my location wasn’t safe for the bigger size which is really pricey.  This does the trick 😉

I don’t regret our decision to do this as we are subject to power outages especially with the Nor’ Easters - full credit to NB Power as they have been doing a lot of tree trimming whether people like it or not if they are near power lines.

• Like 10

@cruising_along  I just started to work on our photo book again, and this time i'm bound and determined to finish!I believe you have a Norway cruise coming up.  If you have most of the same ports and are interested, I can provide copies of our Port Guide. 

Our ports were Stavanger, Alesund, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Narvik, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, kazu said:

that’s exactly what we said a couple of years ago.  

Just remember they have to be serviced annually to keep the warranty.

if you are lazy like me, I recommend a stand by generator.  It comes on automatically if your power goes out.  And comes on once a week for about 10-15 minutes to test it’s. System.

I went mid point in mine - plus my location wasn’t safe for the bigger size which is really pricey.  This does the trick 😉

I don’t regret our decision to do this as we are subject to power outages especially with the Nor’ Easters - full credit to NB Power as they have been doing a lot of tree trimming whether people like it or not if they are near power lines.

Ok, so I don't need the $32,000 one?   That is a relief.  Sue has one picked out that she wants.  Her power seems to go out more often than mine does and since we'll be up north, I doubly want one.  Hers goes out for days at a time.  Since I use a cpap at night, I think it is important to have the generator.  If they hadn't gotten the power back tonight I would have gone to some friends house for the night.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dfish said:

My power went out this afternoon and with it the heat.  Space heaters are no help without power, so I am sitting at the Starbucks inside Target.  Fun, fun, fun.

Yikes! Hope the power comes back soon. 🤞

1 hour ago, kazu said:

We got a generator a couple of years ago and it is a god send.  It doesn’t turn on the heat (those are huge for a house like ours) but I have outlets I can plug in the space heaters to.  The fridges and freezer are safe, the water runs (we are on a well so when the power goes out we lose our pump), internet, tv, etc work and certain lights work.  Works good  enough for me 😉   No more filling the bathtub in case we lose power to flush the toilets 👍 

My sis in FL lost power during a hurricane and they immediately bought a generator. She says it’s the best purchase they’ve made for he house . 😉

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@cruising_along  I just started to work on our photo book again, and this time i'm bound and determined to finish!I believe you have a Norway cruise coming up.  If you have most of the same ports and are interested, I can provide copies of our Port Guide. 

Our ports were Stavanger, Alesund, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Narvik, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen

That is so nice of you!  I'm definitely interested.  We won't be going to Tromso or Narvik, but will be going to all the others on your list.

Thank you so much!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Had my hospital treatment of the kidney stone this morning.  Didn't see the procedure as I was asleep during it.  It was successful and I have no pain in that area now.  They inserted a stent and a laser to break up the stone.  Guess it is an alternative to using sound.  The stent will be removed next week.  Anyway, I can be removed from the care list.  Thank you all for your concern and good thoughts.  We went from that hospital to the Navy hospital to pick up my prescriptions and then home for lunch.  I should be able to drive by tomorrow.

Ray

That is excellent news Ray.

Graham.

• Like 2

@Cruzin TerriSo sorry to hear about your BIL's passing.  Our deepest condolences.  He is at peace.

@USN59-79Glad you are relieved of your pain.

@dfishGlad the power is back!  Several of our neighbours have generators and if we could afford one, we'd get one too.  I'm too old to suffer in the dark.😉

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dfish said:

Ok, so I don't need the $32,000 one?   That is a relief.  Sue has one picked out that she wants.  Her power seems to go out more often than mine does and since we'll be up north, I doubly want one.  Hers goes out for days at a time.  Since I use a cpap at night, I think it is important to have the generator.  If they hadn't gotten the power back tonight I would have gone to some friends house for the night.

No, you don’t unless you want absolutely everything running in the house. Our generator, it’s set up, propane tank set up, etc was less than 1/2 of your price tag.  Our house is not small.

With our size, We lose the stove, hot water, some electrical outlets & our electric heat.

We have space heaters and position them in the key spots in the rooms if we lose power.  We still have certain lights that work, certain outlets, phones, internet, tv, microwave, fridges, freezer, coffee maker, garage door opener and our pump for our well working.   I have an electric kettle & electric skillet that I bring up from downstairs if we are going to be without power for long to use.

You will see me delivering coffee to my neighbours that don’t have a generator.  Many of my neighbours now have one because of our power outages here.

Glad you got your power back & can sleep in your own bed 👍 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu Does that mean you had to rewire or did it get set up on certain circuits?

No rewiring.  Our contractor put in a box (don’t remember if he bought it or it came with the generator - I think it was the former) and set up the circuits that we would be using when the power went out to it.

There’s absolutely nothing to do now other than to service it once a year.  It comes on every week for 10-15 minutes to self test and if the power goes off for more than 60 seconds it revs up and everything it’s connected to in the house immediately works.  👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 11:25 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

Can you email me?

see my profile 😉

That was very kind of you to offer to email the Port Guide to Cruising-along.  I too have a Norway cruise booked with HAL that includes all of your ports but a few.  Would it be possible also to get the Port Guide from you? (No worries if not.) I checked your profile, but there's no email address that I can see.  (The private messaging feature is disabled on CC.)  If it's not any trouble for you, you can email it to me here (otherwise, of course ignore the request):

Turtles06 AT outlook DOT com   (obviously, substitute for AT and DOT, and delete the spaces ☺️)

Thank you and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Judith

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That was very kind of you to offer to email the Port Guide to Cruising-along.  I too have a Norway cruise booked with HAL that includes all of your ports but a few.  Would it be possible also to get the Port Guide from you? (No worries if not.) I checked your profile, but there's no email address that I can see.  (The private messaging feature is disabled on CC.)  If it's not any trouble for you, you can email it to me here (otherwise, of course ignore the request):

Turtles06 AT outlook DOT com   (obviously, substitute for AT and DOT, and delete the spaces ☺️)

Judith

Will do. I have not yet scanned the guides, but will do so soon.

~TC

11 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh!  I don't see it there now either...it was a few days ago.  She will most likely see this and respond. 🙂  

I occasionally drop my email in my profile when someone needs to get in touch with me offline. Because it’s there, I can remove it easily.😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Will do. I have not yet scanned the guides, but will do so soon.

~TC

Thank you, that’s very kind of you! 

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I occasionally drop my email in my profile when someone needs to get in touch with me offline. Because it’s there, I can remove it easily.😁

Thanks for the explanation.  Now I know why I couldn’t find it. 😃

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 8:45 AM, Turtles06 said:

Judith

@Turtles06 and @Cruising-along: You both should have mail. :)

• Thanks 1