2023 sailings are Cruise Only

saltrip

We're are going to book our first cruise with PG for August 2023 Marquesas, Tuamotus and Society Islands. The flight from LAX is not included in the cost of the cruise for 2023. I'm debating whether to get the flight on my own vs. booking with PG. Any thoughts? I'm also concerned about flying in the same day the cruise departs. With the time difference and long flight is it better to have an extra day at a hotel before? If I book with PG a post cruise a day room is included and all transfers included. I would love some suggestions from those of you experienced traveling to Papeete as this will be our first time.

Thanks!

Never go in the day of the cruise.  The shortest time for us in the past has been one extra night, usually 2 or 3 nights.

As for Air not being included in the fares, wow, that's quite new.  The last couple of times we've been, we've used Air France, booked on our own and been quite happy.  We're older, and need comfortable flights, and AF has a Premium Economy that suited us and was cost-effective.  They only were flying certain days of the week, so the pre-cruise stay sometimes comes built-in. Our experience with Air Tahiti Nui is therefore too old to be worthwhile, although their service was always very nice, and their planes comfortable.

If you can manage to have a 2-3 day pre-cruise stay, consider staying on Moorea instead of Tahiti.

I am wondering if 2023 fares are cruise only simply because it is so far in the future? I wouldn't be surprised if you can book your flights through PG later, if you desired. Not that you cannot get a better deal by booking yourself, we just like to have PG take care of it all for us. 

• 5 months later...

We have been on one previous PG cruise.  We had the late arriving flight, 9:40 PM.  We went from the airport to the bus awaiting us then on to the ship to check in.  It was no issue; we were just happy to be there.  For peace of mind, they have so many passengers on those flights, they will hold the ship if the flight arrives late.

That said, we are going to arrive a few days early this time just because we can. We couldn't have extra days off when we were still working. If you can arrive early, why not?  It would be a lovely bonus.

Edited by mustangmonie