Having Princess do your Covid test.

C & C Love to Cruise

In my area seems every one I call tells me they can't guaranty I will have our test results for up to 3 days. We need to take the test Dec 10 for our cruise Dec 12 out of FL.  If we don't get the results for 3 days would be after ship has left port.  Has anyone had Princess do a Covid test before embarkment?  How long does it take to get results?  Do you have to make an appointment with Princess a head of time?  

The Princess CruiseHealth FAQs webpage explains the current options.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

UPDATED: Will you offer COVID-19 testing near the terminal before my cruise?

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for fully vaccinated guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee of $150. Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

Another testing option may be available for fully vaccinated guests on select voyages who are having trouble getting a pre-cruise testing appointment. For voyages departing from Fort Lauderdale through December 19, 2021 we will be able to provide a limited number of antigen tests for fully vaccinated guests only at a cost of $100 per person charged to guests’ shipboard stateroom account. Reservations may be made up to 10 days in advance and testing will take place on embarkation day at the cruise terminal. Test appointments are subject to capacity restrictions and reservations are required. Visit the DocGo website for more information^.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

^You are now leaving the Princess website and navigating to a 3rd party website that is not owned, operated, or controlled by Princess or any of its affiliates.

15 minutes ago, C & C Love to Cruise said:

In my area seems every one I call tells me they can't guaranty I will have our test results for up to 3 days. We need to take the test Dec 10 for our cruise Dec 12 out of FL.  If we don't get the results for 3 days would be after ship has left port.  Has anyone had Princess do a Covid test before embarkment?  How long does it take to get results?  Do you have to make an appointment with Princess a head of time?  

You did not specify which type of test you were trying to find, but given that you mention 3 days it sounds like maybe you are looking for a PCR test. Note that Princess accepts the antigen test and most places that offer that test provide results in 15 to 20 minutes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, C & C Love to Cruise said:

No Rapid Antigen testing anywhere around here under 300. so will make an appointment through Princess 10 days before boarding for 100.  I appreciate the great advise.  Really put my mind to ease. Thank you so much.

When do you arrive  in Florida?  If you are there a day before you cruise, check out Lab Doctor at 1425 SE 17th street. They do the antigenand the price is $49.00. This is an uawesome gent care and no appointment necessary.  Think they close at 5:00. This is just a few minutes from Port Everglades. 

If you are flying into Fort Lauderdale the airport does the antigen test. Just have to show plane ticket. Not sure what the price is. 

Edited by Loverofdogs

I read recently a post that the poster took the covid test at the Fort Lauderdale airport at reasonable cost and results in about 30 minutes. Have you looked at the FLL website about covid testing there?

1 hour ago, C & C Love to Cruise said:

No Rapid Antigen testing anywhere around here under 300. so will make an appointment through Princess 10 days before boarding for 100.  I appreciate the great advise.  Really put my mind to ease. Thank you so much.

I highly recommend the at home test--less expensive plus quick and easy. 

• Like 1

Testing at the airport...

https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx

Scroll down to the heading "COVID-19 Testing at FLL"

Here's a cut/paste of the first paragraph - there is additional information - and may be subject to change... so maybe refresh if you need the latest info.  Also note, *they close at 9PM* so it may not work for late flight arrivals. 

"The Broward County Aviation Department (BCAD) launched a COVID-19 testing site at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) on December 9, 2020, in partnership with Nomi Health and Spirit Airlines. The testing service is open to consumers that can provide proof of travel plans to/from FLL on any airline. The Nomi Health-operated testing service is located in Terminal 3, pre-security on the lower level near baggage claim, and is currently accessible only from the curbside through Door 311 (follow directional signage). Regular operating hours are 7AM to 9PM daily, except when special holiday hours apply.  Note: Holiday hours of 7AM-5PM apply for November 25/26 and December 24/25, 2021. To schedule an appointment, visit Nomi Health's FLL weblink.  For questions about COVID-19 testing, screening results, or online appointment support, call 305-280-0441 or 833-483-1319.
"

Also:

"

Q: What are the prices for each test?
A: $159 for a Rapid PCR; $99 for a PCR test; and $59 for a rapid Antigen test (tax included)

"

I highly recommend the Binax at home test which you can order from either emed.com or optum.com. So much more convenient and not expensive. We are currently on the Sky and used it for this cruise and we will use the at home test for future cruises.

I have an extra Abbott test kit available. I ordered from Optum early November and it’s good until December 6th. Available for $50 and in Fort Lauderdale/Plantation area. Arrange pickup. Accept PayPal or Venmo. Contact my husband John at jmgaedke at gmail.com to discuss details.1D82176B-4B6A-4665-86B2-664403E4B1D3.thumb.jpeg.650224df90fc3c54087b40b5b17af929.jpeg

I guess we are lucky here in southwest Florida, drove from Port Charlotte this morning to Ft. Myers to the Curative testing site for a Rapid Test, no charge, we had a very short wait, less than a minute. Its a 35 minute trip each way and stopped for a haircut on the way home and by the time we made it back we had our test results on my email, both NEGATIVE. Sailing on Sunday on the Caribbean Princess, first cruise in 2 years, 63rd overall.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 1:14 PM, C & C Love to Cruise said:

I know of no way to make an appointment with Princess to have pre-cruise testing and have not read any post by someone who has had the pre-cruise test done by the Princess contractor.

If you call Princess, at best Princess might be able to tell you where and how to get that testing once you arrive at the port.

16 hours ago, JanetGofWI said:

I have an extra Abbott test kit available. I ordered from Optum early November and it’s good until December 6th. Available for $50 and in Fort Lauderdale/Plantation area. Arrange pickup. Accept PayPal or Venmo. Contact my husband John at jmgaedke at gmail.com to discuss details.1D82176B-4B6A-4665-86B2-664403E4B1D3.thumb.jpeg.650224df90fc3c54087b40b5b17af929.jpeg

Can the test be registered to one purchaser but used by an unrelated person?

From another thread

Loverofdogs said:

Check out Lab Doctor at 1245 SE 17th street in Fort Lauderdale. Just a few minutes from Port everglades. They do antigen test ($49.00) and walkin ins. I have called them last week to verify. Also, the airport does the antigen testing, with proof that you flew into FLL. 

https://labdoctor.org/

Edited by Ombud

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

Can the test be registered to one purchaser but used by an unrelated person?

From another thread

Loverofdogs said:

Check out Lab Doctor at 1245 SE 17th street in Fort Lauderdale. Just a few minutes from Port everglades. They do antigen test ($49.00) and walkin ins. I have called them last week to verify. Also, the airport does the antigen testing, with proof that you flew into FLL. 

https://labdoctor.org/

By setting up a NAVICA account that’s what is used by the proctor. You login to emed.com with your login info when you’re ready to test.They scan the test box which is how it’s linked to you.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, Loverofdogs said:

When do you arrive  in Florida?  If you are there a day before you cruise, check out Lab Doctor at 1425 SE 17th street. They do the antigenand the price is $49.00. This is an uawesome gent care and no appointment necessary.  Think they close at 5:00. This is just a few minutes from Port Everglades. 

If you are flying into Fort Lauderdale the airport does the antigen test. Just have to show plane ticket. Not sure what the price is. 

Our cruise leaves Dec 26.  I can't find a place locally that will be doing tests on dec 24 or 25.  I have ordered the at home tests instead and I hope there will be staff working on those days to watch us do the test and certify the results.  Sheesh I never thought booking this cruise would be so stressful. 

6 minutes ago, Cooper1962 said:

Our cruise leaves Dec 26.  I can't find a place locally that will be doing tests on dec 24 or 25.  I have ordered the at home tests instead and I hope there will be staff working on those days to watch us do the test and certify the results.  Sheesh I never thought booking this cruise would be so stressful. 

We just did our tests Thanksgiving Day.  Staffing was from Asia and a little hard to follow (I stink with accents) but we got them done.  Try the tests on Christmas Eve then Christmas Day if need be.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, caribill said:

I know of no way to make an appointment with Princess to have pre-cruise testing and have not read any post by someone who has had the pre-cruise test done by the Princess contractor.

If you call Princess, at best Princess might be able to tell you where and how to get that testing once you arrive at the port.

In the CruiseHealth FAQ statement in post #2 there is a way to make an appointment departing Ft Lauderdale for a limited time.

Another testing option may be available for fully vaccinated guests on select voyages who are having trouble getting a pre-cruise testing appointment. For voyages departing from Fort Lauderdale through December 19, 2021 we will be able to provide a limited number of antigen tests for fully vaccinated guests only at a cost of $100 per person charged to guests’ shipboard stateroom account. Reservations may be made up to 10 days in advance and testing will take place on embarkation day at the cruise terminal. Test appointments are subject to capacity restrictions and reservations are required. Visit the DocGo website for more information^.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1