March 2022 - Can I Cancel & Not Lose Deposit

bernardch

I have one of the Carnival "Sailabration" cruises booked for March.  Now that the March protocols are out we decided that we don't want to put up with the BS of the pre-cruise testing, masks, etc., and want to cancel.  Is there a way to cancel and not lose my deposit/be able to apply to a future cruise?

Our last cruise was March 2020, just before the shutdown.  I want to cruise again, but am not willing to put up with the BS.  If the protocols become permanent, so be it. . .we'll find other vacation opportunities.

CB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bernardch said:

I have one of the Carnival "Sailabration" cruises booked for March.  Now that the March protocols are out we decided that we don't want to put up with the BS of the pre-cruise testing, masks, etc., and want to cancel.  Is there a way to cancel and not lose my deposit/be able to apply to a future cruise?

Our last cruise was March 2020, just before the shutdown.  I want to cruise again, but am not willing to put up with the BS.  If the protocols become permanent, so be it. . .we'll find other vacation opportunities.

CB

I wouldnt move the deposit if you arent willing to put up with protocols. No sign that cdc will lessen them. Push for refund only.

I would say it's even.   You don't want to put up with their BS, and I'm sure they don't want to put up with yours.  But it would be best to call them directly to find out.  We don't know things like when you booked your cruise or  what type of fare you booked.    Sadly I think their refund policy is going to be BS to you.  You can always take the FCC and keep moving the cruise out until we are all out of this BS, but if anyone tells you they know when that will be, that's BS.

• Like 2

I was able to get a full refund when they announced December protocols and I was unable to say that I was vaccinated.

I would call and explain that you are not vaccinated and thus are unable to cruise.

I do agree that you need to ask for a refund.

In my case I received a full refund of my deposit (even though it was non refundable). I also received my non refundable restricted airfare back as well.

This was in August? so I'm not sure if they are still doing that but if you are unvaccinated they won't let you cruise anyways so should give you your money back.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrMarc said:

I would say it's even.   You don't want to put up with their BS, and I'm sure they don't want to put up with yours.  But it would be best to call them directly to find out.  We don't know things like when you booked your cruise or  what type of fare you booked.    Sadly I think their refund policy is going to be BS to you.  You can always take the FCC and keep moving the cruise out until we are all out of this BS, but if anyone tells you they know when that will be, that's BS.

Agree.  I booked a trip for March 22 a few months ago.  Cancellation was my top priority.  The fare that I booked meant we would lose the deposit (which was half the fare) if we had to cancel.  I bought insurance to cover it. 
Maybe they would have refunded if I argued but I wasn't taking that chance. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the phone now trying to get through and cancel my March cruise for the same reason. Wonder how many people who have cruises booked currently have no intention of sailing until this is all over. I know I have two more that I will also cancel unless things get back to the old normal. I will not cruise again under the new normal. 

I don't blame you. I am just off the Freedom. Loved the cruise had a great time. But the protocols were stressful and onerous and I'm very disappointed that my February Sunshine cruise will apparently have the same protocols as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, asalligo said:

On the phone now trying to get through and cancel my March cruise for the same reason. Wonder how many people who have cruises booked currently have no intention of sailing until this is all over. I know I have two more that I will also cancel unless things get back to the old normal. I will not cruise again under the new normal. 

Probably around the same amount who will stop cruising if they take away safety measures. Canceling cruises over companies trying to protect their customers is not the flex some think it is. 

I am not sure why anyone would have booked if they only wanted to travel when things returned to normal or expecting that protocols would be different.  There was never an indication they were going away.  And that was before the new variant emerged.  A flare up/new variant was always a good possibility. 
I am booked but I fully expected that there would be protocols. I had hoped that the testing requirements to return to Canada *might* change but knew there was a good chance it wouldn't. 

Edited by 1kaper

I'll admit I didn't do my research properly before I booked and had no idea masks were in place on baord.  I had made the apparent gullible assumption that if I was vaccinated and tested that would be sufficient enough....I am not sure I would have booked if I knew I'd still have to wear masks as I haven't worn one but one time at my kid's school registration in over a year....and was not hoping to again.  I just don't really get the logic of wearing the mask to the dinner table and then taking the mask off upon sitting down...to me that is a "pee section in a pool".  That all said I will still travel on my March 2022 cruise and just hope for the best.....a masked day on board still beats a non-masked day in the office I suppose.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:40 AM, bernardch said:

CB

We sailed on the Breeze in October.  Yeah the testing was a minor inconvenience for us, and the mask deal was not appreciated but was tolerable.  BUT...the tradeoff was sailing on a ship with only 2600 people vs about 4200 pre-pandemic more than made up for it.  Once we got through security the first day, the longest line I every waited in was 3-deep at the Mongolian Wok on a Seaday at 12:30.   It was nice!

3 hours ago, famof4togo said:

I'll admit I didn't do my research properly before I booked and had no idea masks were in place on baord.  I had made the apparent gullible assumption that if I was vaccinated and tested that would be sufficient enough....I am not sure I would have booked if I knew I'd still have to wear masks as I haven't worn one but one time at my kid's school registration in over a year....and was not hoping to again.  I just don't really get the logic of wearing the mask to the dinner table and then taking the mask off upon sitting down...to me that is a "pee section in a pool".  That all said I will still travel on my March 2022 cruise and just hope for the best.....a masked day on board still beats a non-masked day in the office I suppose.

Perhaps the difference here is cultural. 

i am in Canada and masking has been required for a long time and still is. 
As was testing for travel. My province had some of the most strict restrictions for travel. 
And we have had relatively few cases and deaths (correlation? Causation?) 

I also understand what you are saying. Part of my job involves enforcement of masking and I have similar issues where wearing a mask when you are eating is not required. But if you aren’t eating you must wear a mask in the same space. 

but I’m also a rule follower so I definitely would have known the rules before booking (as I mentioned I knew my cancellation rules). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I am not sure why anyone would have booked if they only wanted to travel when things returned to normal or expecting that protocols would be different.  There was never an indication they were going away.  And that was before the new variant emerged.  A flare up/new variant was always a good possibility. 
I am booked but I fully expected that there would be protocols. I had hoped that the testing requirements to return to Canada *might* change but knew there was a good chance it wouldn't. 

I booked my cruise 22 months ago, Covid was in in infancy and we were still cruising with no restrictions at all. 

Edited by asalligo

After a 3 hour hold, they cancelled my cruise with 100% refund. My cruise was going to be March 13th on the Pride and final Payment date was next week. They did not even try to talk me into rebooking, it was surprisingly easy to accomplish. 

• Like 1

I moved my March 5 Panorama cruise to April 23 this morning and was not charged the $50 per person change fee. The agent said it was because the Covid protocols are in place for March so cruises up until then can be moved without penalty. I am pretty sure they can also be cancelled without penalty but that wasn’t my case so not certain. 

On 11/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, bernardch said:

CB

I cancelled a Jan.29th cruise on the PANORAMA for exactly the same reasons 3 days before final payment was due. Received a credit to my credit card account maybe 5 days later. No problemas. 🙂