Caribbean port changes on Explorer Holiday Cruise

kjbacon

Although we've never been to Guadeloupe before, from what I read, I wasn't really too enthusiastic about going there. Even though we've been to St. Maarten many times, we kind of enjoy the honky tonk vibe of the town of Phillipsburg. For us it was a fine substitution. As K&J mention above, we're happy to be going ANYWHERE!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, govanguy said:

Perhaps this is why there has been a replacement. Apparently, trouble has spilled over to Martinique:

https://news.sky.com/story/guadeloupe-situation-very-difficult-as-covid-protests-continue-in-french-overseas-territory-12476637

Thank you for that info....Messy and a little concerning. Hopefully we'll be ok with the other islands we're visiting, however even if Regent just "spins us around the Caribbean Sea" we'd be happy and fine with just that.

• Like 1

With all the talk about the BM&M gatherings I'm sure there'll be plenty of spinning around. I agree that St. Maarten has better options for excursions. Like y'all we're anxious to spend the holidays with happy, friendly folks. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, govanguy said:

Perhaps this is why there has been a replacement. Apparently, trouble has spilled over to Martinique:

https://news.sky.com/story/guadeloupe-situation-very-difficult-as-covid-protests-continue-in-french-overseas-territory-12476637

17 hours ago, dodgerdoug said:

With all the talk about the BM&M gatherings I'm sure there'll be plenty of spinning around. I agree that St. Maarten has better options for excursions. Like y'all we're anxious to spend the holidays with happy, friendly folks. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Yes, thank you for letting us know what’s up. We were looking forward to Guadeloupe but are very pleased to know that Regent is making sure that we are safe. We found a horseback riding excursion in St. Maarten so that should be a really nice something different. Mudhen put it well when she said that they are going to be fine and happy with whichever ports we are able to go to. We should be prepared for more and possibly last minute port changes. We had a Med cruise on Regent with all kinds of challenges that gave us many port changes and the Shorex crew was absolutely amazing, made everything work.

Dodgerdoug, we also look forward to celebrating the holidays with new friends! It sounds like Regent does New Years right.

Should we plan a welcome aboard toast to each other on embarkation day so that we are all the more prepared for our first official society meeting on Wednesday?

20 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Thank you for that info....Messy and a little concerning. Hopefully we'll be ok with the other islands we're visiting, however even if Regent just "spins us around the Caribbean Sea" we'd be happy and fine with just that.

Sorry, spending around $100 per day in port for excursions (and a little tax) I don't consider spinning around the Caribbean to be an equivalent experience.  Drop the fare $100 per day per person and I am fine with port cancellations.

Marc

I haven't actually priced out the cost of what shore excursions may amount to if we don't go on them.. I don't know what the price of alcohol is either if I don't drink, or what it would be if I don't use my butler...

At this stage of the game, I'll happily go where Regent sends us, sea time or not. I'm just grateful to get out on the water again. Are you on our cruise, Mr.Levin?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Are you on our cruise, Mr.Levin?

I am on the Splendour whilst you are on the Explorer.  My last cruise was on Mariner that was supposed to go to Cuba.  When Cuba was cancelled Regent cut fare about 50% (IIRC) to get us to stay onboard for a Western Caribbean itinerary; not all cruises are priced the same per diem; it varies based on ports visited.

I could be wrong, but I thought that most cruise lines refunded port taxes that would've been collected if a port is not visited. Doesn't Regent do that? At this time, in the world situation, I don't think we have a guarantee of what ports we'll get into, as any other cruise/itinerary  would face the same variables. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

Dodgerdoug, we also look forward to celebrating the holidays with new friends! It sounds like Regent does New Years right.

Should we plan a welcome aboard toast to each other on embarkation day so that we are all the more prepared for our first official society meeting on Wednesday?

I'm all aboard with a toast, sounds like a fitting beginning. Perhaps Mudhen will join us as well at their prescribed locvation at the pool bar.

9 minutes ago, dodgerdoug said:

I'm all aboard with a toast, sounds like a fitting beginning. Perhaps Mudhen will join us as well at their prescribed locvation at the pool bar.

Of course we'll join you! I guess it will all depend on just when we can actually board. Assuming the pool bar is open, that would be our #1 choice, however if bad weather (yes, bite my tongue!) maybe the Ob Bar as that's not usually crowded?

1 minute ago, Mudhen said:

Of course we'll join you! I guess it will all depend on just when we can actually board. Assuming the pool bar is open, that would be our #1 choice, however if bad weather (yes, bite my tongue!) maybe the Ob Bar as that's not usually crowded?

The Ob Bar sounds good as we'll be up that way for our cabin. With boarding in flux perhaps 3pm would be workable. We have 24 days to figure it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I could be wrong, but I thought that most cruise lines refunded port taxes that would've been collected if a port is not visited. Doesn't Regent do that? At this time, in the world situation, I don't think we have a guarantee of what ports we'll get into, as any other cruise/itinerary  would face the same variables. 

Hi Linda - I seem to vaguely remember a discussion about that topic a year or two ago (refunding port fees if the port isn't visited), and the "consensus" opinion seemed to be that because Regent does not break out or list "port fees and taxes" as a separate item on the total fare that is charged.. that the individual port fees are "built in" or "included" in the total fare and are therefore, not subject to or "required" to be legally "refunded" if a port is missed.  Sort of similar to none of us getting a "refund" if we chose not to drink any booze on the cruise - since it's not a separate item on the total fare  ("fat chance" of that happening in the case of me or DW)  🤪.  Regards  

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Linda - I seem to vaguely remember a discussion about that topic a year or two ago (refunding port fees if the port isn't visited), and the "consensus" opinion seemed to be that because Regent does not break out or list "port fees and taxes" as a separate item on the total fare that is charged.. that the individual port fees are "built in" or "included" in the total fare and are therefore, not subject to or "required" to be legally "refunded" if a port is missed.  Sort of similar to none of us getting a "refund" if we chose not to drink any booze on the cruise - since it's not a separate item on the total fare  ("fat chance" of that happening in the case of me or DW)  🤪.  Regards  

That makes complete sense to me! And of course, they should probably tack on a quota/bar bill for us as well....haha!

Best to you and your family!

L&J

• Haha 1

Sounds like 3pm on embarkation day is a great time to meet in person and offer cheers to our two holiday weeks in paradise … at whichever ports that might be (and I’ll be too busy having fun to count who owes who a buck or two in port charges)!! Let’s say the pool bar in good weather and the Observation Lounge for a back up bar. Did anyone else see that we don’t sail away till 9pm?

Edited by kjbacon

That all sounds good to us! Since it is a holiday cruise, they may be allowing extra time for those of us (most?) who are flying in and airports can tend to get messy around that time. AND, just for the record, we don't care a lick about missing a port or two or more. We just want to be at sea with good buds, have some wonderful food and drink and hopefully, nice weather!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

That all sounds good to us! Since it is a holiday cruise, they may be allowing extra time for those of us (most?) who are flying in and airports can tend to get messy around that time. AND, just for the record, we don't care a lick about missing a port or two or more. We just want to be at sea with good buds, have some wonderful food and drink and hopefully, nice weather!

Sounds like a plan to me.  Out of curiosity is this  cruise booked full or is there a capacity constraint (50%?).