The Nu Covid variant

bobstheboy

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Back to returning to UK I'm afraid.  I have now booked the Gatwick drive through for 9.20 am on the 1st January to allow time for delays, luggage collection, bus to car park, clearing 6 inches of snow and ice  (well the Mail and Express wouldn't lie to me would they?) and then travelling to the testing site.  I'm a bit worried there doesn't seem to be an leeway if you are delayed.  Does anyone have any recent experiences of getting through Gatwick in recent times as the stories of Heathrow have been pretty horrendous.

Also regarding PLF I have accounts set up and have gone as far as flight details. I assume after that the info is what I input onboard before leaving Barbados?  I understand the account will keep my details for 6 months so assume it's a new form every time, ie one for this cruise, one for my February Austria trip and one for my Aurora April trip. Is this right please?

We flew in to Gatwick mid October. Passport control was a breeze. Only North Terminal open and had to park the car in the South terminal . Baggage took a while, but no longer than normal. No documents were checked apart from our passports. No problems. Heathrow next, but not until March.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Portugal requiring all people entering their borders to have a PCR or Anti Gen test 48 hours prior to entry. If Spain and the Islands follow suit it will add a large chunk of change to your cruise, with P&O charging £18 each per

Edited by Snow Hill

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Portugal requiring all people entering their borders to have a PCR or Anti Gen test 48 hours prior to entry. If Spain and the Islands follow suit it will add a large chunk of change to your cruise, with P&O charging £18 each per test.

I always said testing could add hundreds to the cost of the cruise but P&O refused to state their costs before most people had paid their balances.  It was very crafty IMO.

I've just paid for PCR test to fly out at Boots £79.00 each, return Gatwick test £69.00 each.   Also trying to figure out Barbados. We want to do tour day 2 which I think is another lateral flow but we also want to do Farewell to Barbados as prefer to leave the ship and go direct to the airport. I assume that's going to be another LFT? If so Barbados alone is £36.00 each.   There's a lot of discussion over on Cunard boards about how Day 2 PCR tests suddenly leapt enormously in price as well. 

25 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Portugal requiring all people entering their borders to have a PCR or Anti Gen test 48 hours prior to entry. If Spain and the Islands follow suit it will add a large chunk of change to your cruise, with P&O charging £18 each per test.

'If' being an important word. As Spain have set their rules for 1-31 December ' if ' is guesswork.

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

'If' being an important word. As Spain have set their rules for 1-31 December ' if ' is guesswork.

You are paying attention to small detail. 

There is a lot going on at this time, so if one country starts a trend, others could follow. Speculation yes, but a fair comment IMO.

There are some positive vibes coming from Israel regarding Omicron b (which is an anagram for "no crimbo" by the way😁. Bit early to be sure but Israel are very advanced in medical matters so as long as the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train it will do for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I always said testing could add hundreds to the cost of the cruise but P&O refused to state their costs before most people had paid their balances.  It was very crafty IMO.

I've just paid for PCR test to fly out at Boots £79.00 each, return Gatwick test £69.00 each.   Also trying to figure out Barbados. We want to do tour day 2 which I think is another lateral flow but we also want to do Farewell to Barbados as prefer to leave the ship and go direct to the airport. I assume that's going to be another LFT? If so Barbados alone is £36.00 each.   There's a lot of discussion over on Cunard boards about how Day 2 PCR tests suddenly leapt enormously in price as well. 

I'm looking at the European cruise on Iona from Southampton that leaves on 3rd Jan now. 12 nights just  699 each

I understand the concerns about cost of 18 per lft to leave the ship. No point really looking at those yet though as that may change to either no tests needed or pcr tests needed etc

My bigger concern though would be every time you take a test to do a port excursion you risk one of you getting a negative and both being offloaded etc. The nightmare scenario 

As things stand I'm of the mindset to only do excursions that don't require tests to avoid risk of offloading  even if that means worst case we can't do any excursions at all

It's a cheap holiday and we enjoy walking out on the deck for a few miles each morning regardless of if we can't do the excursions

This seems the best and safest holiday we could book at the moment. 

If lockdowns happen at the overseas destinations or even in uK they can't really impact you whilst you are on the ship. They can't  send you home early like we might have to do if we flew anywhere that moved into lockdown or if uk govt started randomly  banning foreign travel in to airports again

I wonder what would happen if UK Govt banned flights in from Caribbean at short notice to the P and O cruisers like yourself

Do you think they would cut the cruise short and fly you back early 

Or might they just cruise you back to UK?

If it was the second option I would be happy to do the Caribbean cruise early January and again just avoid any excursions that required a covid test prior

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Just watched PMQs and the only thing that might impact you doing that could be a pre departure testing requirement on return to UK, if, and it is an if, the Government decides to take the views of the medical experts on this one.

Regarding the offloading I really wouldn't worry too much. P&O would assist if your insurance fails. Appreciate their email reply was clumsy but I'm assured it was intended to remove worries in this respect.

I have just been informed that we will have an extra vaccine clinic, we usually have only Saturdays and Sundays but we will do Friday this week too due to the government plan to push more people to get vaccinated.  I imagine that we will be very busy, hopefully the weather will be kind to people queuing outside.

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Looks like we'll be staying on board in Lisbon then.  Glad we upped to a balcony.  Will either have a great view of the city or a great view of Mar de Palha.

Done Tram 28 three times, done the Elevator, done the castle, don't like custard, so a bottle of smuggled wine or a few beers will be the order of the day with a take away burger and fries. 😇

Thanks for the update Bob. 👍

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

There are some positive vibes coming from Israel regarding Omicron b (which is an anagram for "no crimbo" by the way😁. Bit early to be sure but Israel are very advanced in medical matters so as long as the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train it will do for me.

I preferred the anagram ' moronic '.🤣. Three wise men went Jerusalem. Seems difficult to find 3 wise men at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have just been informed that we will have an extra vaccine clinic, we usually have only Saturdays and Sundays but we will do Friday this week too due to the government plan to push more people to get vaccinated.  I imagine that we will be very busy, hopefully the weather will be kind to people queuing outside.

We have extra clinics too, ours are usually all day Tue and Wed and every other Fri morning but will be 3 full days up to Christmas.

Good news! 🤞

(from Sky News website)

Early indications suggest most Omicron coronavirus cases are "mild", an official at the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said. 

Speaking on behalf of the organisation, the official said there is no evidence to suggest the efficacy of vaccines has been reduced by the new strain - but did say some mutations of the virus indicate an increased risk of quicker transmission.

They said more than 40 different mutations have been identified with the Omicron variant.

The WHO official, quoted by Reuters, added there is still a lot unknown about the new strain, but the early indications suggest that most cases are "mild".

15 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Good news! 🤞

(from Sky News website)

Early indications suggest most Omicron coronavirus cases are "mild", an official at the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said. 

Speaking on behalf of the organisation, the official said there is no evidence to suggest the efficacy of vaccines has been reduced by the new strain - but did say some mutations of the virus indicate an increased risk of quicker transmission.

They said more than 40 different mutations have been identified with the Omicron variant.

The WHO official, quoted by Reuters, added there is still a lot unknown about the new strain, but the early indications suggest that most cases are "mild".

If, and I do stress if, omicron only produces mild infections, then it might be that we should let it rip and get as many people, worldwide, infected ASAP. Then the much discussed, and derided, "herd immunity", may in fact be possible, which could herald the end of the pandemic.

It could be prophetic that the world could be saved by a christmas event.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If, and I do stress if, omicron only produces mild infections, then it might be that we should let it rip and get as many people, worldwide, infected ASAP. Then the much discussed, and derided, "herd immunity", may in fact be possible, which could herald the end of the pandemic.

It could be prophetic that the world could be saved by a christmas event.

Thats a bit too sensible. Best to.start some doomsday post🤣

18 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

How are you now Sharon  since your operation? I didn't see any posts, so I hope everything went well. 

Avril

Still convalescing thanks but much better now. This is the first week I have been allowed to drive. I was in 2 weeks as there were a couple of hiccups, one of them being cellulitis in my arm from a cannula and still got bruising from the heparin injections but feeling more like me.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Back to returning to UK I'm afraid.  I have now booked the Gatwick drive through for 9.20 am on the 1st January to allow time for delays, luggage collection, bus to car park, clearing 6 inches of snow and ice  (well the Mail and Express wouldn't lie to me would they?) and then travelling to the testing site.  I'm a bit worried there doesn't seem to be an leeway if you are delayed.  Does anyone have any recent experiences of getting through Gatwick in recent times as the stories of Heathrow have been pretty horrendous.

Also regarding PLF I have accounts set up and have gone as far as flight details. I assume after that the info is what I input onboard before leaving Barbados?  I understand the account will keep my details for 6 months so assume it's a new form every time, ie one for this cruise, one for my February Austria trip and one for my Aurora April trip. Is this right please?

So the current rules say you have to book and pay for a pcr test that will be sent to you to take by the end of day 2 on your return. You need the test refenece number to put on the Passenger Locator form. In theory if you have set up a plf account  then for each of the holidays you mention you will only need to confirm your details, where you will be staying for 10 days after your return and enter a new pcr test number for your 2 day return test. That assumes that the IT works. I couldn't open an account for some reason so I have had to use a guest account.

If you are cruising for 19 days or less you can complete the test info before you leave. This does not apply to non cruise holidays.

I hope that helps. I have just been through this process having returned from a cruise today.

2 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

So the current rules say you have to book and pay for a pcr test that will be sent to you to take by the end of day 2 on your return. You need the test refenece number to put on the Passenger Locator form. In theory if you have set up a plf account  then for each of the holidays you mention you will only need to confirm your details, where you will be staying for 10 days after your return and enter a new pcr test number for your 2 day return test. That assumes that the IT works. I couldn't open an account for some reason so I have had to use a guest account.

If you are cruising for 19 days or less you can complete the test info before you leave. This does not apply to non cruise holidays.

I hope that helps. I have just been through this process having returned from a cruise today.

thank you.  I have the accounts (one each).  I get to the bit where I have to enter flight details and it says I can't do anything until 48 hours before I am in the UK.  I have my details for my PCR test etc which is booked for 1 January.  The first three pages are fine.  I just can't do anything beyond that?

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

thank you.  I have the accounts (one each).  I get to the bit where I have to enter flight details and it says I can't do anything until 48 hours before I am in the UK.  I have my details for my PCR test etc which is booked for 1 January.  The first three pages are fine.  I just can't do anything beyond that?

I see what you mean. There should be a work around, sorry don't know what that is! Worst case scenario is that you do it in the final 48hrs. There will be people on fly cruises who will be doing this in the next few days so hopefully they can give advice.

EDIT There is a new thread about completing the plf but it does not mention fly cruises but it does have a help line number

Edited by Cathygh
correct spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I see what you mean. There should be a work around, sorry don't know what that is! Worst case scenario is that you do it in the final 48hrs. There will be people on fly cruises who will be doing this in the next few days so hopefully they can give advice.

EDIT There is a new thread about completing the plf but it does not mention fly cruises but it does have a help line number

Best of luck anyone ringing helpline on Govt. website I rang it over issues I was having filling in my PLF, non flight cruise, and the person that answered the phone didnt have a clue and passed me on to his supervisor and he was not much better.

Megabear2, if I remember rightly you are going to the Caribbean like us but we go this weekend. We think we have got everything thing sorted except for the Barbados Immigration forms. I have completed them but do not understand what to do next. I received a receipt from my completion of the forms for both me and my husband. It also says we should download more stuff to help with process at the airport. It is more relevant to people who are staying in Barbados not cruising. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows what is required (or not, for us cruisers). It suggests printing the receipt, guess what our printer died today. I will go to my daughters tomorrow to hopefully get them printed off there. 

Hi Jenn

My printer always lets me down when I need it!

if you are flying from Manchester , would appreciate any tips , we don’t 

fly until the 11th.  Azura is half way over the Atlantic near the Azores

at the moment, hoping to find a totally revamped ship after its refit.

Whatever, hope you have a fab trip and that all the pre cruise things 

we have had to do will have been worth it.

Terri