To Mask or not to Mask

BarnCat1

I understand that all passengers are supposed to be vaccinated, show proof of their vaccine card, get tested pre-cruise, etc. but somehow there are still some passengers still getting covid from somewhere while cruising . 

Are any passengers wearing masks on board or in ports, especially in crowded indoor spaces,  to rule on the side of caution even though everyone is is supposed to be vaxxed?  Seems like that's an easier option than the alternative of being quarantined while on vacation. 

6 minutes ago, roger001 said:

And the Covid world is apparently rapidly changing again.  Who knows in a few weeks...or so.  

Yes it is, now the question might be will there be a cruise to have the option to wear the mask on.....seems like this virus will never be gone.  

11 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

Yes it is, now the question might be will there be a cruise to have the option to wear the mask on.....seems like this virus will never be gone.  

That's what I'm worried about.  All back to total lock down again?  Sure hope not.  

We are headed to Grenada next weekend and the entry requirements and country requirements are quite strict.  I am happy to comply - I feel I'm lucky to finally take this trip (cancelled last year) and their requirements/restrictions are helping to keep residents and visitors safe.  They've only had 15 cases in the last two weeks.  All of the Caribbean had a bad rise during the late summer - most decided to go ahead and have their carnivals and festivals.  Most have also said that was a mistake and they went back for awhile to heavy restrictions.  Barbados in not doing well at all right now.  I try to keep abreast of things in the Caribbean because before the pandemic, we would travel there one or two times a year.  There is a world map that shows bi-weekly reported cases easily found on the net.  This will be our first trip in over 2 years.

Who knows what things will look like in a few weeks with this new omicron variant? We will be on Encore in January, and I’m concerned about my 17 and 15 year olds, who are fully vaxxed, but too young for boosters.  There was a cluster at my son’s school, and three of his vaccinated friends who were six months out from their shots got pretty sick with Covid. I’m not worried about my teens dying from Covid, but I wouldn’t want them spreading it to other more vulnerable people, and I wouldn’t want us to all be quarantined during our vacation, so yes, we may be wearing masks when inside if this new variant turns out to be vaccine resistant or if my kids can’t get boosted by then. 

2 hours ago, fabby50 said:

All of the Caribbean had a bad rise during the late summer - most decided to go ahead and have their carnivals and festivals.  Most have also said that was a mistake and they went back for awhile to heavy restrictions.  Barbados in not doing well at all right now.  I try to keep abreast of things in the Caribbean because before the pandemic, we would travel there one or two times a year.  

We are careful when we are ashore in the Caribbean. Our first cruise was in June on Royal and at that time, the vaccination rate in the Bahamas was in the 10%'s. At the time, the locals kept saying that they pray that the Bahamas would get some of the "free vaccine" that Biden was talking about back then. Today, the vaccination rate in the Bahamas is up to 34%,,, so it is still easy for them to pick up the virus from a passing tourist, then spread it to folks on future cruises.

Edited by BirdTravels

We just got back from a 2 week Southern Caribbean cruise on the Breakaway. All passengers and crew were required to be vaccinated. Passengers were tested at the port before departure. Crew members were tested once a week. There were no kids on board and capacity was at about 35 - 40%. All crew members wore masks all the time. Even with all of these measures in place, some passengers chose to wear masks on board. There was no judgment on them (at least not that I noticed). I can't blame anyone for wanting to still wear a mask in spite of the testing and 100% vaccination rate on board. Everyone has a different comfort level. I wear a mask at work but I felt comfortable enough going maskless on board.

Everyone was required to wear masks when in the ports. As warm as it was, my husband and I always wore our masks except when we were alone. A lot of residents at the different ports were really, really good about mask-wearing. I don't blame them because their vaccination rates are not as good as ours. Puerto Rico even gave out masks as we left the terminal to go out into the city. To me, it's the new reality. You do what needs to be done.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

Unfortunately, that's the nature of viruses.  It's impossible to kill them.  At some point, this virus will pass through the population and immunities will be strengthened and vaccines will be offered like so many other vaccines on yearly, quarterly, etc timeframes.  I hope we get to that point sooner than later.  I had covid in September.  Thankfully it was just a bug for me and I recovered within 2 weeks.  

• Like 2

In Breakaway out of New York I went most days without seeing a single person wear a mask except for crew members.

I wore a mask because I can't afford to bring it home to vulnerable family members. Not one made me feel uncomfortable wearing one but that's out of New York where mask wearing is commonplace. Others on my roll call said they would wear a mask for similar reasons. I presume those wearing masks were spending the majority of time outdoors, or in their cabin, or at thinly crowded venues so I was rarely likely to see them walking around the ship.

I've read others on CC report that they see mask wearing most often in the theater and at crowded indoor venues.

• Like 3