“Always Upgrade to Xcelerate Stream”

harrywpb

We just ordered this for  an upcoming cruise. Celebrity informed us that one of these upgrades for two devices would suffice for our needs and we can both access it at the same time. We always ordered two packages previously. This was on an Elite Plus discount of 35%. Is anyone familiar with this and does it actually work as explained to me ?

Thanks

Harry

Edited by harrywpb

• harrywpb changed the title to “Always Upgrade to Xcelerate Stream”
2 hours ago, harrywpb said:

Celebrity informed us that one of these upgrades for two devices would suffice for our needs and we can both access it at the same time.

The "at the same time" part sounds odd to me.  Based on my experience with Celebrity's internet plans, if one person has a specific internet plan, more than one person can use it, and the plan can be used on any number of devices, but typically only one device can access the internet using that plan at a time.   

I hope that someone who has upgraded their surf package to streaming will be able to tell you for sure.  I did so for our upcoming Silhouette cruise in December, so I can't help you from personal experience yet.  However, while my Cruise Planner shows that two devices have the Always Included surf plan (meaning that my wife and I do), it shows only one "device" as having the Elite upgraded stream plan, which leads me to believe that only one person/device can access it at a time.  If that's the case, you can share the streaming plan, but only one person can be logged on at a time.  Again, that's my supposition.

Edited by Turtles06

We upgraded last month on the Edge and only 1 device per package can access stream wi-fi at a time.  You can use multiplied devices and different people but just 1 at a time.  If a device is connect and someone tries to log a2nd device you get a message asking if you want to disconnect the other device.

You were misinformed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Jelayne is correct.  We started with one device and had to toggle back and forth.  Upped to  three devices and was able to run an IPAD, laptop and a ROKU simultaneously  .  ROKU only pixilated once during voyage.   But our ship only had 800 pax on board.

Also be aware the Onboard system does not like running a VPN.  To login in or  out, one has to turn off the VPN.

5 hours ago, harrywpb said:

We just ordered this for  an upcoming cruise. Celebrity informed us that one of these upgrades for two devices would suffice for our needs and we can both access it at the same time. We always ordered two packages previously. This was on an Elite Plus discount of 35%. Is anyone familiar with this and does it actually work as explained to me ?

Thanks

Harry

OK, please correct me if I’m making any wrong assumptions. 

1. You booked a cruise which included Always Included Basic Wi-Fi service for each of you where you each create a separate logon when you board the ship.

2. Before boarding you upgraded one of those services to Xcelerate Streaming for 2 devices using your Elite+ 35% discount. This upgrade allows two devices to be logged onto at the same time using the same login that we will call login-2. The other Basic service is still available to be used, if so desired, by creating a separate login that we will call login-1.

If my assumptions are correct, why can’t each passenger use their separate device using the same login (login-2)? The only issue I see is if either/both passengers have 2 devices, say an iPad and an iPhone, they would have to log off the one they are using before logging onto their other device for fear off knocking the other passenger off their internet connection. Am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Before boarding you upgraded one of those services to Xcelerate Streaming for 2 devices using your Elite+ 35% discount.

I think you may be onto something here that the rest of us missed/misinterpreted.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, please correct me if I’m making any wrong assumptions. 

1. You booked a cruise which included Always Included Basic Wi-Fi service for each of you where you each create a separate logon when you board the ship.

2. Before boarding you upgraded one of those services to Xcelerate Streaming for 2 devices using your Elite+ 35% discount. This upgrade allows two devices to be logged onto at the same time using the same login that we will call login-2. The other Basic service is still available to be used, if so desired, by creating a separate login that we will call login-1.

If my assumptions are correct, why can’t each passenger use their separate device using the same login (login-2)? The only issue I see is if either/both passengers have 2 devices, say an iPad and an iPhone, they would have to log off the one they are using before logging onto their other device for fear off knocking the other passenger off their internet connection. Am I missing something?

@harrywpbI forgot to ask the most important question. How much did it cost per day to upgrade from the AI Basic Wi-Fi to Xcelerate Streaming for 2 devices? We paid $11.70 per day to update each of our accounts to Xcelerate Streaming with the 35% discount. Curious what the upcharge is for 2 devices.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I just checked one of our upcoming cruises. If we upgrade 1 of our surf packages to stream using our E+ discount the cost per day is $11.70

if we upgrade 1 of our surf packages to stream for 2 devices the cost is $23.40 per day so the same price as upgrading both packages.  But by upgrading 1 account to stream for 2 devices that would let you stream on 2 devices at the same time and on the other account have a device logged into surf ( or using their E+ minutes.). Not sure why 2 people would want 3 devices connected at the same time  but there probably is a reason

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I just checked one of our upcoming cruises. If we upgrade 1 of our surf packages to stream using our E+ discount the cost per day is $11.70

if we upgrade 1 of our surf packages to stream for 2 devices the cost is $23.40 per day so the same price as upgrading both packages.  But by upgrading 1 account to stream for 2 devices that would let you stream on 2 devices at the same time and on the other account have a device logged into surf ( or using their E+ minutes.). Not sure why 2 people would want 3 devices connected at the same time  but there probably is a reason

Thanks! That answers my question in that it appears to be much more advantageous for numerous reasons to upgrade our separate AI basic accounts so that we both have unlimited streaming without leaving any $$$ on the table. 😎

Is it possible to first use your 240 streaming min elite+  benefit for the first couple days, then switch back to the AI basic service, then upgrade back to streaming with the 35% elite+ Upgrade discount for the remainder of the cruise? I’m not sure if the savings is worth the hassle, but wondering if possible.

Thanks  everyone. We paid $23.40 per day which equates to $11.70 for each  device. We weren’t offered separate upgrades however I’ll be calling them today to cancel and reissue on three upcoming cruises. It’s just neater this way in my opinion. 

Harry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Is it possible to first use your 240 streaming min elite+  benefit for the first couple days, then switch back to the AI basic service, then upgrade back to streaming with the 35% elite+ Upgrade discount for the remainder of the cruise? I’m not sure if the savings is worth the hassle, but wondering if possible.

In my experience this cannot be done at the pre cruise prices. You’ll pay more per day for the remaining days of your cruise if you do this on board. 

Harry

Edited by harrywpb

17 hours ago, jelayne said:

We upgraded last month on the Edge and only 1 device per package can access stream wi-fi at a time.  You can use multiplied devices and different people but just 1 at a time.  If a device is connect and someone tries to log a2nd device you get a message asking if you want to disconnect the other device.

You were misinformed.

That is the way it worked on the Equinox with our Streaming package in August.

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

That is the way it worked on the Equinox with our Streaming package in August.

Was your package for one device or two ? Sounds like it was for one device. I’ve had many one device packages and they worked like yours. The one I’m inquiring about here is a two device package. 

Harry 

20 minutes ago, harrywpb said:

Was your package for one device or two ? Sounds like it was for one device. I’ve had many one device packages and they worked like yours. The one I’m inquiring about here is a two device package. 

Harry 

We were in a Sky Suite so both my Wife and I had our own sign in ID, which was included in the Retreat package, but we could only have one devise each signed in at any one time on each ID.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We were in a Sky Suite so both my Wife and I had our own sign in ID, which was included in the Retreat package, but we could only have one devise each signed in at any one time on each ID.

Thanks for your reply. This is different from what I purchased. My Wife and I have had internet included as a perk on previous cruises. These worked as yours did. 

Harry

5 minutes ago, harrywpb said:

Thanks for your reply. This is different from what I purchased. My Wife and I have had internet included as a perk on previous cruises. These worked as yours did. 

Harry

What we had that was included with our Retreat amenities was the Xcelerate Stream package and it was OK but at times was very slow, but still only one devise each at a time could be logged into the system. The Surf package is the one that comes in non-suites as part of AI packages.

32 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The Surf package is the one that comes in non-suites as part of AI packages.

We found out recently on the Apex that the Surf package doesn’t have the capability to log onto some more complicated multilayered websites like boards.cruisecritic.com as well as some others my DW liked to visit.

We just disembarked from Reflection on 11/27/2021.  We were in a suite, and had one device on Stream included for each of us.  Due to work reasons, I realized that I needed to add a second device to my account.  On our 7 night cruise, with our Elite Plus rate, it was about $113.

This allowed me to be on two devices at once, so I could use two-factor authentication on my computer and phone, I could work and use my phone (calling over WiFi), text, etc.  

By comparison, I booked another cruise on Reflection to happen in a couple of weeks.  We only have the basic internet on one device each on that cruise.  I called today, and to upgrade my existing “surf” internet to “stream” AND add a second device also at stream, I paid $81.90 with my Elite Plus and pre-cruise purchase discounts.  

Not sure what the cost will be without E+, but the cost difference is significant between upgrading it ahead of time and on board. 

41 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

We just disembarked from Reflection on 11/27/2021.  We were in a suite, and had one device on Stream included for each of us.  Due to work reasons, I realized that I needed to add a second device to my account.  On our 7 night cruise, with our Elite Plus rate, it was about $113.

This allowed me to be on two devices at once, so I could use two-factor authentication on my computer and phone, I could work and use my phone (calling over WiFi), text, etc.  

By comparison, I booked another cruise on Reflection to happen in a couple of weeks.  We only have the basic internet on one device each on that cruise.  I called today, and to upgrade my existing “surf” internet to “stream” AND add a second device also at stream, I paid $81.90 with my Elite Plus and pre-cruise purchase discounts.  

Not sure what the cost will be without E+, but the cost difference is significant between upgrading it ahead of time and on board. 

If I’m reading this correctly you’re saying that you upgraded your surf to xcelerate and added a second device for excelerate for $81.90. I’ve had a few conversations with Celebrity on this and I believe you’re only going to get one device for this price. Please post your experience after you return from your cruise. 

Harry

• Like 1