Flights Home!

Moose12345

We will be flying home from Ft. Lauderdale to Toronto, Canada after our Caribbean cruise .

We have been looking at flights and I'm wondering if someone could tell me  if we get back at 7:00am, would a flight at 11:40am be doable?

The airport isn't very far from the cruise port.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moose12345 said:

We will be flying home from Ft. Lauderdale to Toronto, Canada after our Caribbean cruise .

We have been looking at flights and I'm wondering if someone could tell me  if we get back at 7:00am, would a flight at 11:40am be doable?

The airport isn't very far from the cruise port.

Any help would be appreciated!

It would be close under good circumstances (no delay in returning to port or in clearing ship) -- and if it were in March or April (when FLL departures are heavy), and on a Saturday or Sunday when land visitors would be heading home, or on a day when many cruise ships would be dropping off passengers (check Fort Lauderdale port schedule), it could be a mob scene..   

If you have any acceptable alternatives after noon, I would strongly suggest you spare yourself the tension and hassle of aiming for a morning flight.

I would tell you an 11:40 flight out of FLL is easy to make as long as the ship is not delayed.  I have flown out of FLL as early as 10:10.  Just last week I took an 11:20 flight out of FLL when my cruise port was Miami.  Our friends took a 10:30 flight out of Miami. Our shuttle had us at FLL by 9:00 am even with the 35  min shuttle ride and waiting for a passenger on another ship.    

The key is to walk off. In our case we left cabin at 7:20 am.  Off ship by 7:35 and thought customs by 7:45. The FLL airport is a 10 min shuttle or Uber ride from port.   If you want the ship to take your luggage off the ship just tell you have an early flight and need a early group.We always find it easier to roll our luggage ourself.  

Edited by volk904

For an 11:40 international flight you need to be at FLL NLT about 9:30 - as Port Everglades is only about a 15-minute ride from FLL (taxi fare on the meter should be about $15+), you should have plenty of time to make your flight.

10 hours ago, xcell said:

It's doable but that is if everything falls in to place.

Afternoon flight would be safer.

Is your cruise port fll or miami?

Our flight is out of FLL.  They only have the one flight out at 11:40am.

I think it will be best if we stay the night in the area and take a flight the next day.

Thanks for all the help everyone! That's why I love Cruise Critic, people are always willing to help! 😀

We have an 11:40 flight booked through HAL Air on a Sunday in February. So with 3 strikes there, I think we will be fine. If the ship is late, HAL can fix the flights for us.

I know that there are all kinds of issues with that decision but won't stress about it now.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:46 AM, Moose12345 said:

Our flight is out of FLL.  They only have the one flight out at 11:40am.

I think it will be best if we stay the night in the area and take a flight the next day.

Thanks for all the help everyone! That's why I love Cruise Critic, people are always willing to help! 😀

Fellow Canadian here. We went through this exact scenario a few days ago, flying out of FLL back to Montreal and since you can't fly home later in the day, your decision to stay overnight and fly the next day is VERY wise under current circumstances. We usually take a late morning flight like yours and have never had a problem, but these days, things are very different.  The post-disembarkation COVID testing that Princess arranged was a mess and it took longer than it should have to get our results. We anticipated this and got stuck waiting at PE for 90 minutes until we had our test results before heading to FLL. Fortunately, our early-afternoon flight was delayed 30 minutes due to de-icing in Montreal. With so many unknowns, we won't schedule  a morning flight home for a long time to come, at least until our government removes the testing requirement for coming home.

• Like 1