Hats

In 30 years of trying I've yet to find a hat I like. I hate wearing them. They flop around, make my head hot, and just do not look like "me".  I've bought and given away so many, including several Tilley's and a Helen Kaminski.  My head is a larger size (my son says it is to hold my "gigantic brain" 😉), so I usually can't wear a cheaper "one size fits all" hat. Blaaggh. I have given up and now have just one really light baseball cap with a good brim and one floppy canvas bucket hat, either one of which can be worn in the water (or rain) and are good for places where there is no shade, like archaeological sites. I just don't wear one in the city -- nothing I have ever tried looks or feels right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In 30 years of trying I've yet to find a hat I like. I hate wearing them. They flop around, make my head hot, and just do not look like "me".  I've bought and given away so many, including several Tilley's and a Helen Kaminski.  My head is a larger size (my son says it is to hold my "gigantic brain" 😉), so I usually can't wear a cheaper "one size fits all" hat. Blaaggh. I have given up and now have just one really light baseball cap with a good brim and one floppy canvas bucket hat, either one of which can be worn in the water (or rain) and are good for places where there is no shade, like archaeological sites. I just don't wear one in the city -- nothing I have ever tried looks or feels right.

This! Hats aren't "me", but I am learning that I need to wear them anyway. Funny thing is I wore a hat when I got married and loved it, but that was a long time ago... 

I like hats.  Mostly because they will hide my recalcitrant hair when it decides to not do what I want it to do.   I had a Helen Kaminski lookalike - bought it at our art festival.  I think it's still somewhere in a box in the house - that's the one hat I couldn't find.  My Sundance hat and my Gigi Pip hats are all sized.   I have quite a collection of baseball hats, though.  A bunch from teams from the Winter Olympics I worked, my hats from where I've worked, some from where I've traveled.  Can never go wrong with a baseball hat when traveling!

28 minutes ago, back to the islands said:

@slidergirl, is the sundancer hat the one that hangs down and protects your neck? 

The hat from Ranchlands Mercentile is wide brim'd, so depending on how you wear it, it could.  The photos had the ladies with the back turned up - that is what they did by soaking the hat.  It doesn't have to be that way. 

My hat from Sundance is a nice felt wide brim'd hat.  Unfortunately, not good for summer. 

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have a very similar problem:  big, big head.  We call it the "Neanderthal gene" in our family.  Both sons have it, and my husband did, too, along with giant hands.  So, I get stiffer hats with a fairly wide brim, but no flopping.  And, I just keep trying them on until one fits comfortably.  Then, I wear it (as stated above) forever!!!

A couple of years ago I bought a straw-like hat on Amazon. The brand is Somaler and it was described as "Sun Protection Hats for Women Wide Brim Floppy Beah Hat Packable Bucket Cap with Chin Strap. It was recommended to my by a friend that spent time in Thailand. The is a wire running around the outer edge of the brim, so I can shape it any way I want. I can pack it flat, and reshape it when I pull it from a bag or suitcase. It wasn't expensive and works great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 1:28 PM, back to the islands said:

Which hat did you have mips? The vineyard like 57redbird or a different style? @57redbird I notice the brim curls up. Can it be worn flat, without the curl or not?  Thank y’all so much! I have a Tilley & a visor type cap, but would like something that doesn’t look like a fishing hat! Lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UI8RF16/?coliid=I3J9T7JK7UMHBX&colid=30FJIXZ7JI4YN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im

On 1/30/2022 at 7:25 PM, slidergirl said:

I like hats.  Mostly because they will hide my recalcitrant hair when it decides to not do what I want it to do.   I had a Helen Kaminski lookalike - bought it at our art festival.  I think it's still somewhere in a box in the house - that's the one hat I couldn't find.  My Sundance hat and my Gigi Pip hats are all sized.   I have quite a collection of baseball hats, though.  A bunch from teams from the Winter Olympics I worked, my hats from where I've worked, some from where I've traveled.  Can never go wrong with a baseball hat when traveling!

Love the Kaminski hat I have but for travel I have crushable hat from Colombia. 

On 1/30/2022 at 4:56 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I hate hats for the opposite reason. I have a small head and it's hard to find adult hats that aren't too big. Even size small is too big. I look like a kid trying on mommy's hat. I don't like baseball caps because of how they crush my hair but they're really the only kind that will fit. I would love to find a floppy style sun hat that actually fits me. 

I also hate hats because I like air in my hair. I live in Central Florida so I really should wear a hat outdoors but they make me too hot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KathleenMC55 said:

I hate hats for the opposite reason. I have a small head and it's hard to find adult hats that aren't too big. Even size small is too big. I look like a kid trying on mommy's hat. I don't like baseball caps because of how they crush my hair but they're really the only kind that will fit. I would love to find a floppy style sun hat that actually fits me. 

I also hate hats because I like air in my hair. I live in Central Florida so I really should wear a hat outdoors but they make me too hot.

Check out Sunday Afternoons --- the hat I got (the Vineyard) has an adjustable decorative band around the outside of the hat (which I didn't realize when I ordered it)....I got the Medium size & the adjustable band makes it perfect!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2021 at 6:09 AM, lissie said:

But if its really hot I will often use an umbrella - its a trick I picked up  in Asia -its actually a lot cooler than wearing a hat.  

I love hats and have the collection to prove it, but I also love the umbrella/parasol option.  They make me feel rather fancy.  One of mine is white fabric with faux battenburg trim (available everywhere), and the other is green paper over bamboo.

I too have had a few spots removed from my face.  I have never been a hat person.  Being fluffy with a double chin and big noggin hasn't helped matters.  A few years ago I found the hat mentioned below originally at LL Bean and I absolutely love it!  It fits my head, doesn't blow off, can be flattened and washed, the little lip can be turned down to make it even wider brimmed and the front can be flipped up when going in to buildings, etc.  I have several in different colours.

https://www.amazon.ca/Scala-Womens-Cotton-Brim-Oatmeal/dp/B004ULHO2C/ref=sr_1_127?crid=27EV6A4KNCTU2&keywords=women+sun+hats&qid=1650154332&sprefix=women+sun+hats%2Caps%2C234&sr=8-127

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 1:18 AM, stoogesmom said:

I too have had a few spots removed from my face.  I have never been a hat person.  Being fluffy with a double chin and big noggin hasn't helped matters.  A few years ago I found the hat mentioned below originally at LL Bean and I absolutely love it!  It fits my head, doesn't blow off, can be flattened and washed, the little lip can be turned down to make it even wider brimmed and the front can be flipped up when going in to buildings, etc.  I have several in different colours.

https://www.amazon.ca/Scala-Womens-Cotton-Brim-Oatmeal/dp/B004ULHO2C/ref=sr_1_127?crid=27EV6A4KNCTU2&keywords=women+sun+hats&qid=1650154332&sprefix=women+sun+hats%2Caps%2C234&sr=8-127

I think that hat is based on the Tilley hat I used to have (pictured below). It was cute and very well made but I hated wearing it, eventually consigned it. 

image.thumb.png.a0a3180063178ccc516199b0de783115.png