Additional tips?

sun&sea

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I think it would be great if they would put a "sticky" at the top of the posts stating there will be no "tipping threads" allowed and then they could just delete any threads that violate that directive.

And what to wear on "formal" nights as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

Good lord, where to start. You needed somebody to help you with a menu and speak to a chef. Isn't that a waiter? 

$20 to someone who walked along a corridor with you and checked the maintenance team had done what they had been asked? 

Goodness me.

Perhaps you missed the part where I have celiac disease, an autoimmune disease?  I require a certain level of special treatment on the preparation of my meals so I don’t get sick.  A Princess staff member works with me as a liaison between what I am served and how it is prepared.  I have to preorder every meal and my food is prepared in a separate kitchen.   I cannot go to the buffet and eat without a discussion/consultation with the chef.  My food guide facilitates those interactions—all over and beyond the job of a waiter.  So yeah, I tip him/her/them at the end of a cruise.  My health is important enough to me to justify that cost.

The service provided by the guest service staff was exceptional.  We had an issue (who likes raw sewage in one’s stateroom?), she worked with us to resolve it, and checked in with us throughout the cruise to see it we were satisfied with our accommodations.

I will continue to do what I feel comfortable doing.  We are all different in our approaches here on these boards.  It is fun to share and discuss different approaches.  It would be nice though if one is not demeaned for one’s actions/opinions.  Civility always looks good on a person.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, disneyochem said:

I will continue to do what I feel comfortable doing.  We are all different in our approaches here on these boards.  It is fun to share and discuss different approaches.  It would be nice though if one is not demeaned for one’s actions/opinions.  Civility always looks good on a person.

Thanks for the the comments and reminder to be civil. Sometimes we don't realize how we come across to others. I've been guilty of that recently. I honestly didn't think this topic would bring out what appears to be the claws. Hopefully I'm just reading into some of the comments incorrectly because some comments seem to border on nasty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Haven't heard about him. Personally,  if autotips are part of the package,  so be it. I would never remove them.

But as more cruise lines do away with autotips  (Viking, Celebrity, P&O, Princess,  Saga, Tui etc) hopefully,  this sort  of  discussion will die a death. 

Basically you see the fares going up. This is just adding the gratuity to the overall cost. No big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Basically you see the fares going up. This is just adding the gratuity to the overall cost. No big deal.

Actually, that was not the case when P&O did away with autotips a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 6:43 PM, Alaskanb said:

Never. Staff have asked us to mention them specifically in the post cruise evaluation. It helps them to get promoted. 

That's what I do. I have had people tell me that they are more useful then money as many rarely get good comments. Not only does it help with promotions, but it also helps with getting their contract renewed and at higher wages too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LynnForestgate said:

I think we are all live in cloud cuckoo land if we believe this nonsense.

A "thank You" over "cash" ?

No one mentioned a thank you. A written commendation is worth a great deal to the individual concerned,  both in terms of career progression and financial compensation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

I think we are all live in cloud cuckoo land if we believe this nonsense.

A "thank You" over "cash" ?

That's what I have been told. I had a very frank conversation with one of my waitstaff about the benefits of the comment card and he mentioned that it impacts contract renewals and potentially increased pay. That was on NCL. So it is true at least on that line.

I also hear that some cruise lines will read out the comments in front of everyone during their pow wow meetings to build morale.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

No one mentioned a thank you. A written commendation is worth a great deal to the individual concerned,  both in terms of career progression and financial compensation.

True. On all lines staff have always asked us to fill out the cards. I've never been badgered to give high scores. Only once did I not give a high score & that was on Cunard. Our waiter refused to give me another entrée after a miserly portion on the last formal night. It WAS miserly. He still got his extra tip though. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 3:56 AM, wowzz said:

But it is quite clearly stealing. The cruise line expects to sell 40 (say) measures at $20 each, so will generate $800 from  the bottle. If bar staff give bigger measures at a lower price, the revenue may be only $600. The bar staff have therefore stolen $200.

The same bartender could under-pour several other drinks to make up for the difference.

The bottles are measured by tenths for inventory purposes. A small over-pour is very easy to cover up with an equal under-pour. I'm not saying it's right, but it does happen in bars all over the world.

• Like 2