Royal's ships 2023/24

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s a bit of a late start to the season,1st December.

There might be another ship to make a cameo to fill in ?

Yeah - nah.

A late season start has been reflected in Brissie's port bookings for some time. As learned this season, it has been hard work selling early season cruises ex-Brisbane, and not just for Royal.

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yeah - nah.

A late season start has been reflected in Brissie's port bookings for some time. As learned this season, it has been hard work selling early season cruises ex-Brisbane, and not just for Royal.

Why do you think it is hard work selling early “northern season” cruises?  September is school holidays. August - November great weather in Queensland. A fortnight in Caloundra in April/May and in Aug/Sept cheap off season bargain holiday!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Why do you think it is hard work selling early “northern season” cruises?  September is school holidays. August - November great weather in Queensland. A fortnight in Caloundra in April/May and in Aug/Sept cheap off season bargain holiday!!

Exactly. Why is it cheap? There is less demand. 

Until Christmas school hols start, it is shoulder season and the ships don't like discounting cabins if they can sell them somewhere else. Alaska is more lucrative for most of the ships that come down here for summer, so they aren't showing up until well into October at the earliest.

30 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I just think the ships are just too big for multiple destinations now. They need to be max 3000 passenger size.

How cruising has changed. My biggest ship was 3000 passengers. It was spotless, well maintained, It had quality entertainment etc

but I never wanted to cruise on such a

big ship again.  I had previously cruised on their 2000 passenger ship which I loved hence my next booking.

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Until Christmas school hols start, it is shoulder season and the ships don't like discounting cabins if they can sell them somewhere else. Alaska is more lucrative for most of the ships that come down here for summer, so they aren't showing up until well into October at the earliest.

I receive discount offers for Alaska.  If I owned a cruise ship, I’d bring it down here for our September school holidays (peak season) 

well into October is off season in Alaska..  We left mid September and were the last ship in Alaska, which was great for sales but not for weather!

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

I think its a mistake by RCL by only having those two mammoths. Plus add in the negative that onboard its US dollars sailing out of Australia waters. Who wants to deal with that. You have to factor that in to your calculations. 

Especially when the Brillance was the best selling of the three ships in current season.

I agree!

1 hour ago, springaussie said:

Using the Quantum Class on the other side of the deployment in Alaska is causing issues in Skagway with a pier being out of action. Skagway is a must for me on the Alaska being a train buff.

If train from Skagway is main attraction, you could catch Alaskan Marine Highway to

Skagway. We drove such a beautiful trip.

We got caught in snow.

1 hour ago, springaussie said:

Don’t think so. 
Carnival and Princess are having a shorter season in Brisbane also. I believe Luminosa is doing the Royal music charters also from Sydney. 

I’m so glad I did GBR Cruise on Carmivals Luminosa.  It was a fabulous cruise on a beautiful ship.  I’m happy to cruise again if

a GBR cruise aligns with my holiday free time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, springaussie said:

Don’t think so. 
Carnival and Princess are having a shorter season in Brisbane also. I believe Luminosa is doing the Royal music charters also from Sydney. 

Do you think Luminosa might cruise from Brisbane to Sydney for Music Cruise charter?

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Yeah - nah.

I suppose,as you say Brisbane isn’t selling very well and I suppose the sewage plant wouldn’t be at its full ambiance before then .

But it would be nice if we had a cameo by Anthem or even a Oasis for a couple of months.

Some nice repositioning cruises there ?

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I suppose,as you say Brisbane isn’t selling very well and I suppose the sewage plant wouldn’t be at its full ambiance before then .

But it would be nice if we had a cameo by Anthem or even a Oasis for a couple of months.

I think MSC should base a 2000 ship here  before it goes to the wreckers.  Just try for one whole year.  You need to hang in there to create a market. 

MSC should research how many people of Italian descent live in Australia.  
plus how many people like me love Italians!

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Accom Caloundra is a three generation success story.  They offer holiday accommodation at different price points depending on the season.  Not everyone wants top shelf, priced accordingly. The cheap season allows me to holiday with two dogs at Caloundra annually.  I think cruise lines could do the same.

44 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think MSC should base a 2000 ship here  before it goes to the wreckers.  Just try for one whole year.  You need to hang in there to create a market. 

MSC should research how many people of Italian descent live in Australia.  
plus how many people like me love Italians!

I was just talking to some friends that did a MSC cruise from Dubai to Barcelona.

I have heard some bad reviews but 

They said never again,Food was worse than P&O ,staff where total pigs and drinks were mostly in cans or bottles served straight from the shelves warm ,no ice.Also very little entertainment.

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Accom Caloundra is a three generation success story.  They offer holiday accommodation at different price points depending on the season.  Not everyone wants top shelf, priced accordingly. The cheap season allows me to holiday with two dogs at Caloundra annually.  I think cruise lines could do the same.

The cruise lines have the advantage of floating them to a port that they can be most profitable. Holiday apartments and resorts don't have that luxury.

19 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The cruise lines have the advantage of floating them to a port that they can be most profitable. Holiday apartments and resorts don't have that luxury.

True. But beach holiday houses are booked out so they must be doing something right!

33 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was just talking to some friends that did a MSC cruise from Dubai to Barcelona.

I have heard some bad reviews but 

They said never again,Food was worse than P&O ,staff where total pigs and drinks were mostly in cans or bottles served straight from the shelves warm ,no ice.Also very little entertainment.

My cruise from Germany to NY had quality entertainment.

too many languages brought out the worse in some passengers.  Shared a table with a Dutch chef and his Italian wife so we ate well!!

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

What would Anthem bring that its Quantum Class siblings do not already?

The Oasis class was not designed for tendering so it is hard to see how it could be used in our region.  So many of our ports are just unable to successfully dock a ship of that size.  Where would it go?

Has anyone seen a media release for the Australia 24/25 season?

it’s very odd if they haven’t put an announcement out to say they are on sale. Normally they are out within a few hours of the new deployment going live. 

18 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Do you think Luminosa might cruise from Brisbane to Sydney for Music Cruise charter?

Luminosa in September 2024 Trans Pacific is to Sydney. 
A few local cruises from Sydney on Luminosa.

A few weeks in October are blank for apparently music charters.

The repositioning to Brisbane November 2024. is not a charter. 

On 5/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, reeves35 said:

What would Anthem bring that its Quantum Class siblings do not already?

The Oasis class was not designed for tendering so it is hard to see how it could be used in our region.  So many of our ports are just unable to successfully dock a ship of that size.  Where would it go?

There are a few ports that can accommodate an Oasis class.

The biggest problem would be embarking 6,000 + passengers . I think the only real terminal would be Brisbane.

It be limited to a few ports of call such as Sydney,Hobart ,Eden? , Picton

Tauranga,Auckland (container terminal) and Noumea .

23 hours ago, springaussie said:

Luminosa in September 2024 Trans Pacific is to Sydney. 
A few local cruises from Sydney on Luminosa.

A few weeks in October are blank for apparently music charters.

The repositioning to Brisbane November 2024. is not a charter. 

Would that cruise be after the charter?

15 minutes ago, fairywren said:

Do you know that for sure? When do you think it will be released?

The Carnival Luminosa is doing a 3 night cruise 7 November 2024 Sydney to Brisbane,  This cruise is bookable now.

On another subject I have read on social media someone claimed Quantum was doing a Singapore to Brisbane charter November 2024. Don’t know true it was.