Royal's ships 2023/24

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Singapore to Brisbane is an interest to me .

A couple of nights in Singapore, what ever ship is doing cruises out of Singapore for a cruise and then the Repo to Brisbane sounds good.

Love that cruise along Queensland Coast from Singapore.  Does it stop in Darwin?  What date?

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Singapore to Brisbane is an interest to me .

A couple of nights in Singapore, what ever ship is doing cruises out of Singapore for a cruise and then the Repo to Brisbane sounds good.

Singapore to Brisbane is the only cruise that might interest us. So disappointing that no Brilliance or another ship. We would prefer to cruise on another ship and are looking forward to Brilliance. Definitely looking at other cruise lines!

4 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Singapore to Brisbane is the only cruise that might interest us. So disappointing that no Brilliance or another ship. We would prefer to cruise on another ship and are looking forward to Brilliance. Definitely looking at other cruise lines!

A holiday in Singapore prior to cruise is what makes it attractive to me.  It is too long !! Others could have a holiday in Brisbane  or the SEQld region at the end of the cruise.

13 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I’m thinking of buying a tent, sick and tired of Ovation.

Brilliance is selling out for next season.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

We have one on Brilliance, but after our Ovation cruise which we returned from last Saturday, definitely no more Ovation for us unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Just make sure your tent has an insect screen. Not much fun getting rhino beetles in your sleeping bag. Looks like they are getting worse. https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/487698/post-cyclone-rhinoceros-beetle-outbreak-concerns-in-vanuatu

I can’t see Eden listed as a port stop  24/25. 
It will be interesting to see Ovation does stop at Eden 23/24 season. 
No Kangaroo Island also. It appeared as a stop  for the 21/22 season just using Oz ports with Ovation that didn’t eventuate. 

Disappointing that there’s not a smaller ship sailing from Sydney as well, as it limits the South Pacific Island ports significantly. Other cruise lines will have much more interesting itineraries in this area. 
On a brighter note, I also like the prospect of the Singapore relocation. I presume this will be at the beginning of the season? 

2 hours ago, springaussie said:

No Kangaroo Island also. It appeared as a stop  for the 21/22 season just using Oz ports with Ovation that didn’t eventuate. 

Ovation is due in at Eden in Nov 2023 & March 2024.  Does it dock or tender at Eden?

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Just make sure your tent has an insect screen. Not much fun getting rhino beetles in your sleeping bag. Looks like they are getting worse. https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/487698/post-cyclone-rhinoceros-beetle-outbreak-concerns-in-vanuatu

We may as well discuss Rhinoceros beetles because there more going on with them than Royal Caribbean and the private island of Lelepa.

https://www.dailypost.vu/news/fungus-that-controls-deadly-beetle-taking-effect-on-vanuatu-islands/article_a5a7c453-c100-57a9-ae3c-261681c45951.html

4 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Ovation is due in at Eden in Nov 2023 & March 2024.  Does it dock or tender at Eden?

The wave attenuator wall should be complete by then. That will allow them to dock with thrusters while not bouncing around the small fleet of ships within the bay.

Royal skipped Eden this season when they were advised they would have to tender because of the incomplete attenuator wall.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The wave attenuator wall should be complete by then. That will allow them to dock with thrusters while not bouncing around the small fleet of ships within the bay.

Royal skipped Eden this season when they were advised they would have to tender because of the incomplete attenuator wall.

What does a wave attenuator wall do?

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Having docked at Eden on the Coral Princess,   I was surprised that the Majestic Princess is not docked but will require tenders at Eden.  Obviously it’s a bigger ship than Coral.

I don’t think the big ships suit our smaller ports nor the South Pacific islands. 
Please send us your old well maintained small ships to explore our region.’

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Having docked at Eden on the Coral Princess,   I was surprised that the Majestic Princess is not docked but will require tenders at Eden.  Obviously it’s a bigger ship than Coral.

Only if the wall is incomplete.

The wharf is supposed to be able to handle Royal's Oasis class ships, and Majestic is smaller than those and Ovation as well.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, springaussie said:

The way NSW government works (or fails to work), the infrastructure at Eden may take another 5 years.  I hope they get it together though.  

A pretty boring (but predictable) set of itineraries for Brisbane.  
Tossing up whether to do the Singapore repo or go to Egypt instead.  We’re on Radiance for the PC departing tomorrow, so could probably book on board late in the cruise.     

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I don’t think the big ships suit our smaller ports nor the South Pacific islands. 
Please send us your old well maintained small ships to explore our region.’

Absolutely agree.  A Radiance class would make more sense for Brisbane and the island ports.  They can probably sell every cabin on Quantum though, given that the season is short.    

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

What does a wave attenuator wall do?

Attenuates waves 😉

Large ships cause a significant wash, especially while using thrusters and azipods that are pushing water to the side for docking. Eden has been constructing a wall in Snug Cove to protect the shoreline, marina and small boats etc

Eden wave wall nears completion, will provide 'safe harbour that was promised' | About Regional

Because of the initial delays, large ships such as Majestic and Ovation were unable to dock as planned this past season. Size may have played a part, but I believe it was mostly about the large wash of water that the azipods would push across the bay. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Attenuates waves 😉

Large ships cause a significant wash, especially while using thrusters and azipods that are pushing water to the side for docking. Eden has been constructing a wall in Snug Cove to protect the shoreline, marina and small boats etc

Eden wave wall nears completion, will provide 'safe harbour that was promised' | About Regional

Because of the initial delays, large ships such as Majestic and Ovation were unable to dock as planned this past season. Size may have played a part, but I believe it was mostly about the large wash of water that the azipods would push across the bay. 

I wondered if the ships were causing damage to the shoreline.  Main Beach GC looses its

beaches following high seas.  I have even seen Narrowneck break through by rough seas.

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I wondered if the ships were causing damage to the shoreline.  Main Beach GC looses its

beaches following high seas.  I have even seen Narrowneck break through by rough seas.

Potentially over time, but the wall also allows them to develop their marina and protect it from East Coast lows.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

The way NSW government works (or fails to work), the infrastructure at Eden may take another 5 years.  I hope they get it together though.  

A pretty boring (but predictable) set of itineraries for Brisbane.  
Tossing up whether to do the Singapore repo or go to Egypt instead.  We’re on Radiance for the PC departing tomorrow, so could probably book on board late in the cruise.     

Geoff do you know if the new pier being built  is Oasis Class standard or that is in another project? 
I am happy Brisbane has got some short cruises and a 14 night NZ cruise. The original port bookings was virtually just Friday bookings with a rare 6 or 8 night cruise. The only 3 nighter was the last day one of the season.

I would love to do a PC one day. 

30 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Geoff do you know if the new pier being built  is Oasis Class standard or that is in another project? 
I am happy Brisbane has got some short cruises and a 14 night NZ cruise. The original port bookings was virtually just Friday bookings with a rare 6 or 8 night cruise. The only 3 nighter was the last day one of the season.

14 night NZ could be of interest depending on

size of ship.  Celebrity NZ cruise was wonderful.

32 minutes ago, springaussie said:

This page describes the Eden port projects: https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/edenharbour

Doesn’t seem to refer to any upgrades for very large ships. Others may have better info. 

Pity that NZ cruise is in the second half of March.  Bit too cool and inclement for me!  At least it’s an alternative to the frequent 7-odd day cruises.  

We’ve been enjoying Austin for a few days and now we are looking forward to embarking.  One last feed of TexMex and Margaritas tonight!  Gotta love that!

• Like 2