Live From Whisper.......12/2

Lois R

On 12/18/2021 at 10:02 AM, A Tucson Guy said:

We just renewed a passport about 3 weeks ago and it took all of two weeks total.

The turnaround time varies from passport office to passport office.  Even with an "expedite" request and not making any initial errors (absent special "emergency" categorization" for special people), here in northern CA, many people are waiting over 2 months.  Not sure about Florida. 

21 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

The turnaround time varies from passport office to passport office.  Even with an "expedite" request and not making any initial errors (absent special "emergency" categorization" for special people), here in northern CA, many people are waiting over 2 months.  Not sure about Florida. 

I guess I don't know how it works......I sent it to PA, which is the office for the "expedited process".....

I will just have to hope it comes back in time for my next trip!  I don't know anything about my own state on it.......as mentioned, Florida is not where the passport goes........it went to Pennsylvania.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, CruiserFromMaine said:

The food onboard for us has been at least good, often very good and sometimes excellent. My wife (bravely) tried the lamb in La Terrazza last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, although they were thin lamb chops. It seems the issue is inconsistent preparation. Curiously, we embarked a new executive chef in Barbados, and the one disembarking there was only on from Fort Lauderdale. And he admitted in the cooking demonstration that he didn’t bring his own knives. I thought chefs packed their knives before they packed their pants! 

The standard wines are OK and their are options so we’ve been able t9 find one we like. The cocktails are quite good around the ship. 

The ship itself is in very good condition although one of the niches for art has been empty the entire cruise which seems an odd but admittedly minor oversight. 

Mask-wearing compliance is very high, practically universal. You can sit at the bars. Staff wear masks always. 

The pianists and trio are good, as is the DJ. The production shows are not good, and the Elvis show last night was dismal. We stayed till the end, hoping for improvement. The singers aren’t too bad but the production, light and sound needed lots of work. On the other hand, the deck party in San Juan was lots of fun with great music and dancing. 

The shore excursions have been quite good, with one exception being the lunch stop on Barbados. That was outside Silversea’s control and with out us even asking, we got a significant price refund. That indicates good communication about the issue amongst the staff. 

Overall, we’re having a great time! Any issues are pretty minor and perhaps stand out more because there are so few. 

We’ve been back home a couple days and I’ve had time to write a final summary. 

The food got better after the new executive chef boarded in Barbados. I for his name, but he seems to have set a good tone for the rest of the kitchens. 

After a humorous exchange on Facebook between my wife and Jimmy Kovel, the empty art nice was filled with rotating art from the captain’s quarters. 

We have up on production shows after Elvis. The deck parties were fun. The singers there were more in their element without the production staff holding them back.

My other comments hold true. Yes, there were a couple minor service issues. But dinner in La Dame was excellent, a gathering in our suite with our friends was quite fun when the Head Sommelier opened a nice bottle of Krug for us, and my birthday breakfast in the suite was quite delicious and fun!

One thing we learned is that the Whisper is not in our sweet spot. We prefer the Muse and Spirit, and probably will like the new SS ships too. A few more dinner options, better shows and an overall newer ship are more to our liking. Obviously there are fans of the Whisper and Shadow, and that’s great.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@Lois R You just keep on having adventures, don't you, whether at the airport or the passport office? 🤣

I'm glad the airplane was more inconvenience than anything else, and you should be fine with the expedited passport renewal (good move on that).

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

a gathering in our suite with our friends was quite fun when the Head Sommelier opened a nice bottle of Krug for us

That was quite wonderful. Thank you so very much for that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I will just have to hope it comes back in time for my next trip!  I don't know anything about my own state on it.......as mentioned, Florida is not where the passport goes........it went to Pennsylvania.

You should be okay. According to the State Department, the processing time for U.S. passports has been running 8 to 11 weeks, a big improvement the 18 weeks it had been throughout summer and into early fall. And paying extra for expedited service reduces the estimated time to 5-7 weeks. (Add a week or more for mailing time to and from the passport agency.)

To my new friends.....Doak, Charie, Carl and Ellie, I agree the invite to your suite was wonderful and the Krug? Oh my........that IS Champagne😃.   It was a great evening, thank you again.

• Like 3