So why? Why do 4 or 5 star AND Neptune Guests board as the third group??

Mosaic

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

IMO, cruising will not be comfortable for the folks who are into all the social distancing, masking and basically being highly concerned that the virus will get you folks....(trying to be nice in the words I choose).  If the virus is a top concern for you, staying inside at home to limit your exposure (and stress) is probably best (and safe).  Again, my opinion only.  

As far as boarding times, when we arrived in October around 11am, the social distance crowd would feel very comfortable....people seemed to arrive randomly and they scooted them/us thru the check in lines and waiting area very efficiently.  (We even had to get a pier Covid test then)

Later in the day, when the strict Covid safety boarding times people arrived, I heard there was more of a crowd (but did not witness that as I was unpacking after a leisurely and uncrowded lido lunch).

We understand and accept the risk.  We choose to show up when we want and we understand that if we are early, HAL can tell us to go away, sit on the curb or come on in and start the boarding process.  We are fine with whatever. 

Boarding times are a non issue unless you want them to be an issue.

Smooth Sailing to all.......................

Maybe you should let Hal know there is no need for social distancing.  If you care to look at the Hal website it lays out everything such as mask wearing etc.  Nothing has changed.  Guests don't make up the rules.  Like you say, if you wish to have a devil may care attitude you can best do that at home.  I know some think the virus is over.  That would be a no. 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2021 at 8:08 PM, twodjs said:

The groups are not rankings. You have not been "downgraded". Covid restrictions require controlled small groups of people. 4 and 5 star and Neptune Suites still get their express lines while the rest have the longer lines. Everyone is just spread out. 

It wasn’t much of an express in SD. Our line cut off some passengers, but then we still joined the regular line, Took us 1.5 hours to board. Our luggage beat us to the cabin.

On 12/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Same is true in Seattle.  Different cruise lines handle arrival times in different ways.  Carnival is more strict about arrival times (and super strict about boarding groups).  Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, and Royal are more relaxed about dealing with passengers who show up early.  Basically, if it is slow, any passenger who arrives is welcomed in to start the embarkation process.  If everyone arrives at once, passengers will be let in according to their assigned arrival time.  

What has made a big difference this year (2021) with the embarkation process has been the introduction of the express check-in systems adopted across all the the cruise lines.  During the lost cruising year (2020), all the brands upgraded their check-in systems, and it's made a huge difference.  So as long as the passenger completely registered all needed information online, embarking is as quick as a swipe of their passport using a handheld device (after the vaccine and health check).

The other improvement was having the ships ready for passengers to embark as soon as they have been checked in, rather than having to congregate in large waiting areas in the terminal.  It did help this season that the ships were sailing under capacity. Passengers really enjoyed walking on to the ship right away.

Folks should be somewhat respectful of their arrival time, but shoreside staff will work to get passengers embarked as quickly and safely as possible,  while maintaining the social distancing protocols.  So if you have a 1 PM arrival time, please don't show up at 9 AM (it does happen).  And if you have a 2 PM arrival time, come a bit earlier, as 80% of the passengers are already onboard.

As someone who has check-in passengers, it easier to have a steady stream of passengers, rather than have to deal with 150 people who show up at their assigned 3 pm time for a 4 PM departure.  I understand that there are folks who will buck or game the arrival time assignment window, and brag about it. (It's annoying)  There are also passengers who arrive when they arrive due to flights or ground transportation, and want to start embarkation as soon as they arrive at the pier.  Sometimes it's easy, other times check-in can be overwhelming and a bit stressful for both passengers and shoreside staff.  But everyone gets on the ship, and the staff gets to go home and tell stories to family and friends.  In the end, it all works out.

We had all our documents printed. We even uploaded our photos. Unfortunately, it was extremely slow in boarding in SD. On our October 31st cruise, there were only 900 passengers onboard. Probably not 900 we’re boarding as there were quite a few B2B’s. Even so the line was out the port gate, down the street about a half a large city block. When we entered the port, we thought we would go directly into the terminal. But no, the line was alongside half the terminal. Then the line went back to the entrance. There was still a line zigzag line for checking passports and security. After that we joined an extremely short line for 4 & 5 Star Mariners and Suite guests. Our line then joined another line before doing the checking in. They insisted on taking another photo. And asking us the questions despite that we had filled out the health questionnaire. 

Our time was 1:20 PM group A that was changed to 1:40 PM, group C. We entered the long line 20 minutes late due to late arrival of our train into SD.

Our cruise was fantastic. The crew were fantastic. We had a great time. And were glad to be back at sea. So our annoyance with the boarding process disappeared once onboard. We didn’t feel we had much of an advantage being 5 Star mariners. Majority of the delay was passport check, not enough officers, going through security and size of SD terminal. Plus, everyone showing up at the same time.

There have been no issues in the past 5 sailings.....with boarding within 20-25 minutes or so.

Halloween  was when the Disney Wonder shared the pier.  She had just completed a 2-night cruise and not many were eager to disembark on time.  If I recall, the last guest cleared US Customs at about 11:30 am.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DAllenTCY said:

That must have been on Halloween.

There have been no issues in the past 5 sailings.....with boarding within 20-25 minutes or so.

That day was when the Disney Wonder shared the pier.  She had just completed a 2-night cruise and not many were eager to disembark on time.  If I recall, the last guest cleared US Customs at about 11:30 am.

David

It was October 31st cruise. Normally, we arrive early, 11:30 AM. But Amtrak cancelled our early train. Plus, the coaster broke down so we had to stop at all the stations. I honestly this this was our worst boarding experience in all our years of cruising. I don’t remember the passport checking being done in the terminal. It was done by one guy at the gate. With 4-5 Passort Control agents, it seemed to go even slower.

Security check was the hold up for us when we boarded on November 14. We arrived about 5 minutes after our assigned time of 1:40. There was only one metal detector open and two baggage x-ray. By the time we got through the passport and vac check part (that wasn’t fast either as that line was snaked almost to the door) and we got in line for the security checkpoint, one x-ray became dedicated to crew returning to the ship. So now only one x-ray and shared the metal detector with the crew line. It took a very long time. Just as we got almost to our turn at the metal detector, they opened another one and things started moving better again. 

Once we got past that, it was easy peasy. 

• Thanks 1

Here are some additional factors for you to ponder.....if you choose to arrive early (between 11am and noon).  Boarding times starting at 1pm might make more sense if you consider:

The ILWU (porters) take 30 minute lunch breaks (according to California Labor laws....before the 6th hour of work) starting at 11:15.  One half of them who started at 7am.  The second half take lunch from noon to 12:30pm.  

Shoreside staff are generally divided into 2 work groups.  The first group arrive at 7:30am for disembarkation assistance.  The second group start their shifts at 10 am primarily for check-in and directional duties.  Early staff rotate for breaks between 11am and noon.

Security staff have lunch and rest breaks also to comply.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

I boarded the koningsdam on nov 7/21.  My boarding time was 1:20.  I was staying across the street at a hotel.  I thought by the time I got my luggage over there it would take 20 minutes because I’m not fast.  I left the hotel at 1 or so. Much to my amazement I got there at around 1:10 and I told them what time I was to board at.  They told me go ahead.  The terminal was quite busy but I’m almost positive I was on the ship within a half hour.  The problems on the 31st must have been in part to Disney or maybe special snowflakes that board when they want to because cruise critic says that fine 🤪.  Hal has GOT ago start checking peoples boarding passes.  I can’t speak for what it was like on the 14th as I never left the ship.

13 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Here are some additional factors for you to ponder.....if you choose to arrive early (between 11am and noon).  Boarding times starting at 1pm might make more sense if you consider:

The ILWU (porters) take 30 minute lunch breaks (according to California Labor laws....before the 6th hour of work) starting at 11:15.  One half of them who started at 7am.  The second half take lunch from noon to 12:30pm.  

Shoreside staff are generally divided into 2 work groups.  The first group arrive at 7:30am for disembarkation assistance.  The second group start their shifts at 10 am primarily for check-in and directional duties.  Early staff rotate for breaks between 11am and noon.

Security staff have lunch and rest breaks also to comply.

David

I really wish boarding passes would be checked.  Let the people that arrive at the port at 11 or 11:30 ( not on hal transfers) stand there for a few hours.  Hopefully they won’t make that mistake twice.  People that show up when they shouldn’t just mess it up for everyone else.  It’s a pretty easy concept as long as you aren’t selfish.

• Like 1

None of us who work at the pier are interested in police work. Boarding Passes in your hand and masks on as you proceed through check-in is what we request at the entry gate.

The vast majority of us are avid cruisers, and wish to make every person feel welcome and appreciated.

There are safety concerns we must keep in mind, as well as CDC rules.

The ultimate goal is for the ship to sail on time with you and your luggage aboard.

We have the means to line up guests according to arrival times, but hopefully do not need to implement those measures unless absolutely needed.  Such was the case on October 31st. 

It was predictably a very bad day for embarkation.....as will future days with 2 or 3 ships in this port at the same time.  

January 2nd, February 27, March 20, April 3, 13, 22.

David

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is following covid protocols police work? Seems to me the best way to keep people safe.  Having a large group congregate in one place isn’t my idea of fun.  After being in the USA after not traveling for 2 years there seems to be stark differences in how some view the pandemic.  I was just speaking to an engineer today and he had some guests in from the USA.  He said that the guests  feel the pandemic is over.  That’s  pretty much what I observed when I was in the USA.  Obviously this isn’t everywhere. It feels much different in Canada, at least where I live.

• Like 4

I appreciate David's insight as to the role of the ground personnel. Unfortunately, I will be boarding on one of the 2 ship days he mentions. Do you have any advice as to the best time to arrive regardless of the boarding time on the pass and Mariner or Suite status? Very late?

12 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Unfortunately, I will be boarding on one of the 2 ship days he mentions. 

I'm boarding on a triple ship day, April 3.  🙂

Disney Wonder, Koningsdam, and Zuiderdam, which will be returning from her 30+ day South Pacific.  

It will be a busy day at the piers, but fun !  My sister and I will make it that way; we've been through it many times and there's no other choice.

I have a feeling the K will be "in the tent", Disney on the north side, and the Z over at Broadway Pier. 

David ? What say you ?      

Edited by Boatdrill

It wouldn't surprise me if the Disney Wonder adjusted the previous 4-night voyage and make it 5 so as to arrive on 4/4 and have the pier to itself.  The subsequent voyage could be reduced from 6-night to 5.

That would make the most sense to me.

As far at the Koningsdam and Zuiderdam.....you probably should plan on a long day for either.

There isn't enough space at Broadway to replenish the Zuiderdam.....so I can't see her there.

The Koningsdam can load up the week before with stores (food, beverages, etc.).

Probably, arrival times will be adjusted.....maybe starting at 11:00am for Koningsdam?

Who knows.....but the idea of 3 ships here is crazy to begin with.

David

We embarked on 11/21, are ****, and were in boarding group A.  Our plane arrived around 8:30 and we headed over to the pier shortly before 11 merely to drop our bags off before our stroll to Seapark Village.  A port supervisor advised us that we could enter and someone else showed us where to put our luggage.  We were intent on exiting the pier, but a HAL rep motioned for us to come over.  We provided paperwork that showed we were in group A, went through all screening, were directed to the 4 and 5 star line (but there were no lines anywhere).  They checked our boarding passes once more before seating us.  There were a couple of people seated elsewhere who were probably in group B.  We were onboard  after a few minutes.  I don't feel guilty about merely wanting to drop off luggage but given the opportunity to check in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1