Upcoming New Zealand EDGE Cruise Question

LGW59

Some Milford Sound photographs:

Overview of Milford Sound from light aircraft

Milford Sound from village

Mitre Peak

Lady Bowen Falls

Stirling Falls [U shaped valley] ... ship Captains like to nose into the Falls here and get the bow sprayed.

Milford Sound entrance - looks plain and was narrow and unattractive to early explorers.

All taken on the same day - weather can change in a short period. Clouds came in while on the cruise.

18. Milford Sound.JPG

28. Sound.JPG

29. Sound scape.JPG

33. Lady Bowen Falls.JPG

44. Stirling Falls U shape.JPG

45. Fiord entrance.JPG

Edited by PeterGavin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We’ve visited NZ numerous times as we have family there and have done this cruise as well one time. No one yet has mentioned the numerous waterfalls in the fjords…absolutely stunning and the ship gets so close you can hear the roar as well! You’re going early in the season so they should be quite impressive!  Too bad you’re not spending any land travel time (unless you do the excursion through Queenstown), such a gorgeous land with super friendly residents!

I agree about the NZ land tour, but as a New Zealander that's a very biased opinion. Having lived in Australia it too has much to offer but you'd need at least 2 months to see both countries. Did you say you were doing a B2B LGW59? if so you could see some of Oz that way and still do an overland in NZ? Ah, so much travel and not enough time/money!

13 minutes ago, PeterGavin said:

Some Milford Sound photographs:

Overview of Milford Sound from light aircraft

Milford Sound from village

Mitre Peak

Lady Bowen Falls

Stirling Falls [U shaped valley] ... ship Captains like to nose into the Falls here and get the bow sprayed.

Milford Sound entrance - looks plain and was narrow and unattractive to early explorers.

All taken on the same day - weather can change in a short period. Clouds came in while on the cruise.

18. Milford Sound.JPG

28. Sound.JPG

29. Sound scape.JPG

33. Lady Bowen Falls.JPG

44. Stirling Falls U shape.JPG

45. Fiord entrance.JPG

Just WOW!  So absolutely stunning, thanks very much for sharing these, Peter!!

5 minutes ago, Redking said:

I agree about the NZ land tour, but as a New Zealander that's a very biased opinion. Having lived in Australia it too has much to offer but you'd need at least 2 months to see both countries. Did you say you were doing a B2B LGW59? if so you could see some of Oz that way and still do an overland in NZ? Ah, so much travel and not enough time/money!

Hi Redking:  We are on a B2B2B2B.  Leg 3 ends in Sydney on Dec 9 and leg 4 begins in Sydney, Dec 9 and also ends in Sydney on Dec 21.  Current plan is to spend 5 days after the cruise ends in Sydney.  Def not enough time, I know, but will make the most of it for sure.

11 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Hi Redking:  We are on a B2B2B2B.  Leg 3 ends in Sydney on Dec 9 and leg 4 begins in Sydney, Dec 9 and also ends in Sydney on Dec 21.  Current plan is to spend 5 days after the cruise ends in Sydney.  Def not enough time, I know, but will make the most of it for sure.

Wow sounds amazing. Are you coming all the way through from Rome? Sydney is a great city.

5 minutes ago, Redking said:

Wow sounds amazing. Are you coming all the way through from Rome? Sydney is a great city.

Yes, the cruise emanates from Rome on Oct 30, for a total of 52 days, 30 of which are at sea (can you see the huge smile on my face)!  The itinerary for each leg is truly amazing, a nice way to begin my retirement.  My husband has his own business so he can work from anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Yes, the cruise emanates from Rome on Oct 30, for a total of 52 days, 30 of which are at sea (can you see the huge smile on my face)!  The itinerary for each leg is truly amazing, a nice way to begin my retirement.  My husband has his own business so he can work from anywhere in the world.

What a fantastic way to celebrate your retirement 👏 we might need to persuade you to do a live review for such a momentous occasion and cruise itinerary 😉. It will whet my appetite for our B2B on the Edge in Jan 2024. Enjoy!

• Like 1

LGW59 .. I will be on the first sector Rome - Suez Canal - Dubai [replacing an Azamara Suez Canal booked for 2019], which was drydocked and then Covid delayed and finally [by me] cancelled!

Edited by PeterGavin

49 minutes ago, PeterGavin said:

LGW59 .. I will be on the first sector Rome - Suez Canal - Dubai [replacing an Azamara Suez Canal booked for 2019], which was drydocked and then Covid delayed and finally [by me] cancelled!

Oh that is awesome!  Would be great to meet you, Peter.  Let's def keep in touch.

• Like 1

@RedKIng & @PeterGavin - wondering if you know the names of a few tour guides, in particular ones that provide private tours in Sydney?  I mentioned in a previous post we plan to spend 5 days after the cruise but we decided to now spend a full week.  I always find private local guides in any country we visit to be so knowledgeable and able to take us "off the beaten path" so to speak.  I realize we are a long way off, but doing my research and planning is as much enjoyment leading up to the cruise itself.  TIA!

On 12/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, LGW59 said:

I can only imagine the disappointment, T!  Hopefully all falls into place for us, but s*** happens and if out of ones control we need to roll with the flow.  Funny re weather.  My first trip to Ireland was for 3 weeks.  My colleague is from Galway and said bring your umbrella, while it always rains in Ireland you will be there in real rainy season.  Well of the 3 weeks we literally have only 4 days of rain, hope I can bring my Irish lucky charm to NZ as well.  🙂

Definitely bring your Irish lucky charm--I'm on this cruise as well.  You can share it with all of us.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 3:38 PM, Redking said:

Was researching X versus Princess and stumbled across a unique itinerary.  After doing the 13 day NZ swing (11/27/23) we are doing a unique 12 day Southern Oz sailing (12/10/23) visiting 6 ports such as Melbourne, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island and an overnight in Hobart.  Both X and Princess offered the Queensland cruise, but this southern one intrigued me.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:17 AM, LGW59 said:

@RedKIng & @PeterGavin - wondering if you know the names of a few tour guides, in particular ones that provide private tours in Sydney?  I mentioned in a previous post we plan to spend 5 days after the cruise but we decided to now spend a full week.  I always find private local guides in any country we visit to be so knowledgeable and able to take us "off the beaten path" so to speak.  I realize we are a long way off, but doing my research and planning is as much enjoyment leading up to the cruise itself.  TIA!

@LGW59not much help on this one. Having previously lived in Australia we've always found our own way around in Sydney l. Trains, ferries and buses are easy to use to get around. I love the walk from Bondi to Bronte. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redking said:

@LGW59not much help on this one. Having previously lived in Australia we've always found our own way around in Sydney l. Trains, ferries and buses are easy to use to get around. I love the walk from Bondi to Bronte. Good luck.

Agree with Redking that Sydney is very easy to find your way around. If you do want a private guide you could try Toursbylocals. We’ve used this company many times when traveling overseas and had good experiences.

However NSW is only just reopening to overseas visitors, so I’m not sure how many guides/ companies are operating at the moment. 

Activities you could easily do without a guide are the bridge climb, Opera House tour, ferry to Manly, Taronga Zoo or Watson’s Bay, visit Darling Harbour, the. NSW Art Gallery, various museums. There are  also guided walking tours of the city and The Rocks area. Great coastal walks at Bondi and La Perouse.  You could even fit in a day trip to the Blue Mountains or Port Stephens. There is plenty to do.

• Thanks 1

I am following this thread; we are booked on the same NZ itinerary in March 2024 on the Edge. We are also doing the B2B April 5th Australia wine cruise. We plan to book the Edge after the Australia cruise when she, hopefully, sails the South Pacific to Hawaii for another 18 days when the cruise is announced next year for a B2B2B. This is a huge bucket list for us and so excited to be on the Edge Retreat for a possible 39 days.

What can we expect the weather to be like in March and April?  If we do the 3rd leg, we will spend 4 or 5 days in Sydney pre cruise. If not, we will spend 4 days in Fiji before flying on to Sydney and then spend a few days after the second cruise in Sydney.

Thanks in advance for any help.

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I am following this thread; we are booked on the same NZ itinerary in March 2024 on the Edge. We are also doing the B2B April 5th Australia wine cruise. We plan to book the Edge after the Australia cruise when she, hopefully, sails the South Pacific to Hawaii for another 18 days when the cruise is announced next year for a B2B2B. This is a huge bucket list for us and so excited to be on the Edge Retreat for a possible 39 days.

What can we expect the weather to be like in March and April?  If we do the 3rd leg, we will spend 4 or 5 days in Sydney pre cruise. If not, we will spend 4 days in Fiji before flying on to Sydney and then spend a few days after the second cruise in Sydney.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would be excited too. That sounds like an amazing trip.

March in Sydney is usually warm. Temperatures in mid to high 20’s, with the occasional very hot day. April will start to cool down. 

The past few summers have been exceptionally warm with days in the high thirties and some days in the forties. This year though we’re having  a La Niña summer in Sydney which means it’s wetter and slightly cooler than usual. 

13 hours ago, Redking said:

Well that is helpful to know for sure.  I love walkable cities, my wallet does as well!