New Muster Questions

famof4togo

This will be our first-time cruising since the old system for "muster", so I want to be sure I understand correctly.  Do we still have to report to our specific designated muster station, or can we go to any location?  Am I correct that we can report to our muster station as soon as we board the ship?  Is it correct that my Cheers package will not work until after I complete muster?  Once at muster we will go over individually with personnel and be done?  TIA

• Like 2

Yes, you must go the the muster station listed on your boarding pass as its based on your room location.  They scan your card if you have it already or otherwise key in your room number to check you in.

You can visit as soon as you board the ship, they will allow a few others to gather and then do the demonstration then dismiss you, or if you are the only one there they may just knock you out solo rather than make you wait.

Unknown about using Cheers prior to muster, sorry.

Nothing is done personally/one-on-one for visiting the muster drill other than checking you in.  The presentation is to the group that happens to be there at that time.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nog Vlog said:

Yes, you must go the the muster station listed on your boarding pass as its based on your room location.  They scan your card if you have it already or otherwise key in your room number to check you in.

You can visit as soon as you board the ship, they will allow a few others to gather and then do the demonstration then dismiss you, or if you are the only one there they may just knock you out solo rather than make you wait.

Nothing is done personally/one-on-one for visiting the muster drill other than checking you in.  The presentation is to the group that happens to be there at that time.

Enjoy your trip!

THANK YOU for the info!

11 minutes ago, Nog Vlog said:

Enjoy your trip!

It takes all of 90 seconds. They show you how to put on a life jacket and then remind you to watch the video on the TV in your stateroom. My group was a total of 3 people including myself. So much more convenient than the old Muster Drills! I hope they keep this format for the long term. 

At sail-away, the cruise director and the captain come on the PA and announce the seven horn blasts and what they mean, as well as what to do if you hear them. They still close all venues and ask guests to put their phones down during this announcement, however you don't have to go anywhere or do anything for it, and it only lasts a few minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sailed on the Horizon in November and after we boarded, we went to our stateroom to drop off our carry-on and retrieve our Sail & Sign cards.  At the bottom left of the card, under your Folio number is the Muster station designation.  Our Muster station was A4 which was located in the Liquid Lounge.  We found our station right after lunch, checked in with the team member at the entrance, sat down, watched another team member put on the life jacket and we were done.  There was maybe 8 people there and it took 5 minutes.  Quick and easy.  I don't know how many Muster stations there are but you can ask any team member for assistance.

For our October cruise, we were on a ship we have never sailed before.  We walked onboard and took an immediate turn down a hallway to look for our cabin.  It in fact was the entrance to one of the MDRs.  A crew member was standing there, and asked to look at our boarding passes.  He then sat us down and did the muster thing with the life preserver.

So we accidently happened upon our muster station, and were done with the drill within two minutes of getting on the ship.

I did read something on Carnival's web site that passengers would be cut off after two alcoholic drinks until they checked in at their muster station.  Of course, we didn't have an opportunity to buy a drink before we stumbled into ours.  And as mentioned by other posters, that policy may not be universally followed.

========================================================================

1 hour ago, MoTex said:

Its very simple but make sure you do watch the video in your cabin to complete your muster drill- you dont want to be “THAT PERSON” that delays sailaway!

Curious about the above comment by MoTex.  We did not watch a video (was there one?), and fortunately this did not delay sail away in our particular case.

1 hour ago, MoTex said:

Its very simple but make sure you do watch the video in your cabin to complete your muster drill- you dont want to be “THAT PERSON” that delays sailaway!

9 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Curious about the above comment by MoTex.  We did not watch a video (was there one?), and fortunately this did not delay sail away in our particular case.

I believe the "must watch video in cabin" requirement went away a while ago. For our cruise in Sept on Magic there as no requirement to watch a video - although there was one playing (starring Shaq) on a loop when we went to our cabin.  But nothing to acknowledge.

18 hours ago, StPeteCruiser14 said:

I can add that when we were on the Magic in November we were turned away at the bar since we haven't been to our muster station first.  We had Cheers.

We did not have that issue in Sept on Magic (we get Cheers too).  But we only ordered our first drink to help wash down lunch before heading to our muster station.  

I had read you would be denied after two until you reported to your muster station.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

I did read something on Carnival's web site that passengers would be cut off after two alcoholic drinks until they checked in at their muster station

This is sort of what I experienced on Legend a few weeks ago. Although after one drink the system said I had 2 so I had to go muster. 

I ended up having to go to muster 4 times because they could not get my status to change to show that I had completed my muster drill.

Finally a manger at guest services had to override it in the computer to unlock my card.

The new muster procedure itself appears to be awesome if it works correctly. I will be trying it again in about 4 weeks☺️ 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 12:23 PM, Top_of_the_Cube said:

For our October cruise, we were on a ship we have never sailed before.  We walked onboard and took an immediate turn down a hallway to look for our cabin.  It in fact was the entrance to one of the MDRs.  A crew member was standing there, and asked to look at our boarding passes.  He then sat us down and did the muster thing with the life preserver.

So we accidently happened upon our muster station, and were done with the drill within two minutes of getting on the ship.

I did read something on Carnival's web site that passengers would be cut off after two alcoholic drinks until they checked in at their muster station.  Of course, we didn't have an opportunity to buy a drink before we stumbled into ours.  And as mentioned by other posters, that policy may not be universally followed.

========================================================================

Just got off Dream - the video is on the TV in stateroom and also on the HUB app - this time i just went straight to muster station as soon as i boarded and got signed in that I had reported - watched the demonstration on lifejackets and was done - when I checked on HUB it said my muster drill was “completed” - i did turn on the TV and put the video on while I unpacked (just to be sure)

If you DONT check in at your muster station for the demonstration your name will paged and told to report to tour muster station- i was told ship will not sail until all passengers complete muster.

and, yes, you are limited to 2drinks until muster is complete.

Edited by MoTex
  • Like 2

Muster is so easy now that we don't even bother trying to get food or drink before doing it.  We aim towards our cabin to drop off our luggage (thank you, Carnival, for this status perk - I don't care if I can get into the cabin early, but I REALLY appreciate being able to drop off our bags) and if we pass our muster station on the way there, we go ahead and get ourselves checked off.  If we don't pass it, we head straight there after dropping off our bags.  It's so quick now!  Then we're legitimately done with responsibilities before we grab food/drink - and we're still completely sober in case the process doesn't go quite according to plan.  

• Like 1

I love the new muster drill. We didn't go to the lifeboats, but had stations throughout the ship where we could sit and relax. I sat through the muster briefing on the Breeze three times. Not because I wanted extra Carnival brownie points, but because my muster station was upstairs on the Sapphire dining room, the guy giving the demonstration was downstairs, and I couldn't hear what he said at the end that the people downstairs thought was so funny. I finally asked him and he said he told them to have a nice day. Like others have said, you can watch the video on the Hub app.

• 1 month later...

I have a question on this. We are going in June with some of our family and they are first time cruisers. So our carnival rep split my wife and I in the rooms between the couples so that they could get our rates. So when we check in I will be in one room with our daughter and my cousin.

My wife is in their room with my cousins wife and their kids (again for the rate discount and benefits).

Our bookings are linked but our room is in a balcony and their rooms in the Family Harbor (Mardis Gras). So I'm guessing they will be different muster stations.

Question is how do we fix it so my wife ends up with the same muster as my daughter and I and my cousin ends up with his family?

Last time we did this we had our best friends who were new but they were in the cabin right next door to us so it wasn't an issue.

Last week on the Mardi Gras we went to our muster station. The guy scanned our cards and said "Do you know how to put on a life jacket?" We replied yes. He said you are done, have a nice day. It was about 20 seconds total for 4 of us. Way better than 45 minutes crammed on deck 4 with 3000 other people. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

Last week on the Mardi Gras we went to our muster station. The guy scanned our cards and said "Do you know how to put on a life jacket?" We replied yes. He said you are done, have a nice day. It was about 20 seconds total for 4 of us. Way better than 45 minutes crammed on deck 4 with 3000 other people. 

Same with us on the Freedom in November. While I'm not sure that meets the standards of SOLAS, it was refreshing compared to how it was before! 🙂

New to Carnival (not to cruising), so we don't have status to be able to drop off our carry-ons in our stateroom (as I understand it). How will we know where our muster location is? Is it printed on the boarding pass? Or do we have to wait until we can get into our stateroom....and what time is that about usually?

TIA