Just got off OASIS OF THE SEAS Nov 28, 2021 Western Caribbean Sailing - Ask Me Anything...

mattpan

My wife and I just got off Oasis of the Seas, November 28, 2021 Western Caribbean Sailing. We had a balcony stateroom, 11624. Ports of call were Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya. We had a great time despite the Covid precautions. Our ship had ~3900 guests and it felt EMPTY. We had the Deluxe Beverage Package and The Key. The only real "excursions" we purchased were the Coco Beach Club and waterpark at Coco Cay, both were great!

I know there are a lot of questions these days about how things are working, what's changed, etc...I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Can't promise I can answer all but I'll try.

Matt

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mattpan said:

My wife and I just got off Oasis of the Seas, November 28, 2021 Western Caribbean Sailing. We had a balcony stateroom, 11624. Ports of call were Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya. We had a great time despite the Covid precautions. Our ship had ~3900 guests and it felt EMPTY. We had the Deluxe Beverage Package and The Key. The only real "excursions" we purchased were the Coco Beach Club and waterpark at Coco Cay, both were great!

I know there are a lot of questions these days about how things are working, what's changed, etc...I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Can't promise I can answer all but I'll try.

Matt

Hi what time were you let on the ship since you have the Key?

How was the chops lunch?

TIA

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mattpan said:

Matt

Could you post the entertainment schedule, or the compasses.  We are doing B2B next month.

Already know all about protocols from sailing Odyssey. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

How was the chops lunch?

TIA

I'm also interested in hearing about what Key benefits you had - particularly early boarding (i.e., some have received emails with letters saying they could board 11:00-11:30am - for the MDR Chops luncheon from Noon to 1:30pm).  We sail on Oasis on March 6th - so I'm very interested in what was offered.  Did they email you a letter with the benefits ahead of your sailing? 

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

How was the chops lunch?

TIA

TIA

We got to the cruise terminal very early because we wanted to be one of the first on with The Key. We arrived around 10 AM. There were other early comers as well but none of the stanchions were set up so no one knew where to go. The doors were locked and there were a few people inside letting only workers inside. Finally around 10:15 some workers arrived outside to start setting up the stanchions for crowd control. People started asking where The Key guests should line up. They told us to line up to the left of the doors (near the bathrooms if you're familiar with the terminal). It was all very confusing still since people were just standing around in groups not knowing where to line up. By about 10:30-10:45 the stanchions were set up by boarding time with signs at the entrances. There was a special line (closest to the bathrooms) for The Key guests. We were second in The Key line. Finally they started letting us in at about 11:10 AM. The Key guests were the first in the door and The Key line was ~50-60 people long at that point. I wish they would have set up the stanchions earlier and had more signs earlier since it was very confusing. 

The Chops lunch menu was somewhat limited in my opinion. My vegetarian wife had no entrée options; I think there were only 3 options. It was also clearly labeled at the top "chose one from each section" which I thought was strange. Overall, it was only ok, not worth buying the Key for.

Overall, I would purchase The Key again since I buy VOOM anyways, and we really appreciated being one of the first guests on the ship.

Oh, and the disembarkation process for The Key guests was also horrible, no one knew what to do with us or how to get us off early...in the end we found our way but it was a hassle. They need more signs and more people who understand the program.

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We'll be on Liberty in March with stops in Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan. Can you please explain what, if any, COVID restrictions there were in those ports?

The only restrictions that I saw in the Cruise Compasses was that unvaccinated travelers (12 and under at the time of our sailing) had to book excursions through RCCL. You could not walk around the ports on your own. We got off the ship in Cozumel and Costa Maya just to do some shopping in the ports. Masks were required in all enclosed spaces (not outside with adequate social distancing) but honestly we noticed nothing was strongly enforced. We felt safe keeping our distance but we didn't spend much time off the ship.

We didn't get off the ship in Roatan so can't comment on what things were like there.

7 minutes ago, moonltnite said:

I'm also interested in hearing about what Key benefits you had - particularly early boarding (i.e., some have received emails with letters saying they could board 11:00-11:30am - for the MDR Chops luncheon from Noon to 1:30pm).  We sail on Oasis on March 6th - so I'm very interested in what was offered.  Did they email you a letter with the benefits ahead of your sailing? 

Thanks!

See my other reply...We did in-fact board close to 11:00, Key guest were the first ones on the ship. The Key lunch wasn't as great as promised (in my opinion, though my filet was very good, same quality as it normally would be). I got info on The Key via email before the sailing then there was another letter in the room when we finally got into our stateroom.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Could you post the entertainment schedule, or the compasses.  We are doing B2B next month.

Already know all about protocols from sailing Odyssey. 

I brought the Compasses home with me but didn't photograph or scan yet. Hopefully will get a chance. Though they might be available on some other forums already.

1 hour ago, moonltnite said:

Thanks!

I have the key and I will be sailing on the Symphony on 1/29/22.

I will post my experience with getting aboard and any other benefits with the key program .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattpan said:

The only restrictions that I saw in the Cruise Compasses was that unvaccinated travelers (12 and under at the time of our sailing) had to book excursions through RCCL. You could not walk around the ports on your own. We got off the ship in Cozumel and Costa Maya just to do some shopping in the ports. Masks were required in all enclosed spaces (not outside with adequate social distancing) but honestly we noticed nothing was strongly enforced. We felt safe keeping our distance but we didn't spend much time off the 

Been on the Celebrity Edge in Sept and NCL JOY for 2 weeks in Nov and never had to wear masks.

We could get off the ship on our own but had to wear masks in Rotan, Costs Maya and Cozumel.

Going on Oasis in Feb 2022. Hope we don't have to wear masks on ship.

I know things can change over night. 

Vac up to help C19 get under control!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oceanblue33 said:

On formal night or dress up night do they have free champagne on the Promenade. I hope so

I did not see that but then again, we didn't come down super early, maybe we missed it. On our cruise there was only one Formal Night (Day 3, at sea). The other sea day was Day 7 (night before disembarkation) so it was Casual. I felt there were more casual dress nights then typical, and except for the "formal night" most people just dressed casually in the MDR.

4 minutes ago, smokeykat said:

Did you have any problem booking shows on board? Was there any show time that you could not get into?

We booked the shows as soon as we got onboard via the app. We didn't have any problems getting times that worked for our schedule. Later in the week when we tried to change a reservation there was no availability for a later show. That being said...the theaters were no where near capacity. The number of guests on board is only about 60% of max so even if you didn't get a reservation I don't think there would be an issue getting a seat any any show.

We are going on the Oasis in Feb 2022. We have a Central Park Balcony. It has been a couple of years since we were on the Oasis. Does anyone know if they have a coffee pot in this type cabin?

Thank you in Advance!

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

4 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I don't think so. You have to be in a suite for a coffee maker.

Thank you.  I never could figure that out.  Anywhere other than the US they provide a coffee maker in cabins. It should not be classified as a fire hazard since they allow them in suites.

Stay Safe! 

We are sailing on the Oasis this Sunday.  When we come home, we have a 10:45 flight when we get off.  What time did you end up disembarking and arrive at the airport?  Were cabs pretty much available when you disembarked?  We are in a suite, intend to walk off with our luggage, have Global Entry for customs (if there is a separate line) and TSA pre-check for the airport.