The 2 Days pre Test

mcrcruiser

I'm stressing over this for my March cruise.  I already cancelled my December river cruise that was supposed to depart Amsterdam on Dec. 6.  I wasn't confident I could meet their testing requirements and other Covid restrictions and hoops to jump thru.

Covid tests are very difficult to get in Middle TN even for those who are sick.  I can get a PCR test at Walgreen's and CVS but it may be a 72-hr. turnaround time which is not going to work.  They don't offer the quick antigen test.  For the home tests, how do you get your results in a form that will be accepted by the cruise line?

The more I read and research, the more confused I get.  

22 hours ago, Crew News said:

My test was done at a very small cabin outside the CVS store and billed to my insurance plan. 

I was handed a short swab and told to swirl in each nostril 15 times (Nieuw Statendem onboard test was 10 swirls in each nostril and they did the swirling) and then stick the swab into a small tube.

Both big changes from the horror stories of inserting swabs up to your eye sockets.

I had to have 2 Covid tests in the course of preparing for open heart surgery.  I was afraid of the Covid test due to the horror stories I heard.  I was able to qualify for surgery with minimally invasive tests as you describe.  

30 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm stressing over this for my March cruise.  I already cancelled my December river cruise that was supposed to depart Amsterdam on Dec. 6.  I wasn't confident I could meet their testing requirements and other Covid restrictions and hoops to jump thru.

Covid tests are very difficult to get in Middle TN even for those who are sick.  I can get a PCR test at Walgreen's and CVS but it may be a 72-hr. turnaround time which is not going to work.  They don't offer the quick antigen test.  For the home tests, how do you get your results in a form that will be accepted by the cruise line?

Find a testing facility in your cruise port, make a reservation and go a couple of days before the cruise to take the test. Check your arrival airport to see if they do tests and your departure airport.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Roz said:

=====

The Medical Observed Abbott Rapid Antigen test is an easy test.  first you have to set up a Navica account and answer about seven questions which includes your Cell Phone number and your e-mail.   They will text you your results and also email you the result.    So you can have your result in your Cell Phone and email.   With your email you can print off the result.   Whole procedure should be less than half hour.  There is an example video in my signature that a fellow CCer made.  You put the swab up your nose no more than one inch.   Perhaps someone can help you if you are still unsure.   Please note that the test kits do expire so do not buy them way ahead of time.   Ask expiration date before you buy.  Note that quite a few cruisers are using these Abbott tests.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Roz said:

We got our antigen test at CVG, however I contacted the Urgent Treatment Center in our area and also our local hospital has a covid clinic.  Both of these assured us they could have the results in time.  Maybe worth trying each of these places in your area.  We wanted to make sure we had back up plans in case the CVG results didn't come in quick.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  You've given me some options to explore.

Our hospitals and their associated satellite clinics won't give Covid tests without a doctor's order, and the urgent care centers won't guarantee a turnaround time.  I'm flying into FLL a day early so I need to do the test in Nashville on March 18 for a March 20 sailing or have something set up in Ft. Lauderdale that will guarantee me quick results.  

It's ridiculous the amt. of time and money and stress being spent on this, when the odds of a shipful of older vaccinated adults spreading Covid is very low.  I stand a greater risk of getting Covid from the morons I work with that won't get vaccinated.  

• Like 2

By the way the Rapid Antigen Tests used by the ship are the same Abbott tests you can use at home "medically supervised".  I saw the Abbott name on the envelope.   On the ship most people swab their own nose and stick the swab  in the envelope and off you go.    Very efficient.    Staff will come and get you if they see a "positive".

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER

Our CVS in Florida doesn’t offer testing Dec 24 or 25. We need ours the 24. Walgreens requires to register with all your info before you can even schedule. MD Now I guess is our best option. Open 365 days a year🙏🏻 No appointments necessary, just walk in.

For Floridians, here is a link from the State of Florida for Covid testing sights.  We used Nomi Health (thru County Health Dept).  They were free (not at airport) and the results were received in 15 minutes. 

Easy peezy and we like FREE.

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/testing-sites/

19 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

My brother was on our cruise and came in two days early, so he had to be tested in Fort Lauderdale.  He did it at the airport, terminal 3 baggage claim area - Nomi Health - for $59 each and had the results in less than 15 minutes via email.

He thought it was a great deal overall.

This is good to know.  TY

On 12/13/2021 at 7:46 PM, cruise kitty said:

We used Covid Clinic dot org, the home proctored Emed test, & Celebrity on board....  in every case I had printable results within 20 minutes

The home test was way easier than I would have thought, would love to do it again for our May cruise, but the kits we have expire before then.

I guess we'll see if it's even still a requirement in May...  we have to get tested for our flights, but then have about 9 days in Europe pre-cruise....  waiting until we are much closer to see what the requirements are then 🙂

We too used the eMed proctored from our Paris AirBNB before flying back to the US. The hardest part was testing the 4 year old who did not appreciate having a swab stuck up her nose and swirled around. But yes, we had our results on our phones in 20 mins time. Easy button for sure!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

We too used the eMed proctored from our Paris AirBNB before flying back to the US. The hardest part was testing the 4 year old who did not appreciate having a swab stuck up her nose and swirled around. But yes, we had our results on our phones in 20 mins time. Easy button for sure!

Please excuse my ignorance....you take the test but then how do they get the swabs and results if you are in an AirBNB? Don't the swabs have to go to a lab?  Just trying to figure out if these would work for us. 

Prior to our cruise on the Konigsdam last month we made appointments at a local Urgent Care. We were seen timely and had the printed results within 15 minutes. There was a charge but the experience was totally stress free. We would go this route again if required.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westcoastsue said:

Prior to our cruise on the Konigsdam last month we made appointments at a local Urgent Care. We were seen timely and had the printed results within 15 minutes. There was a charge but the experience was totally stress free. We would go this route again if required.

We did the same thing at a local Urgent Care. They did the Rapid Antigen test and we had the printed results in 20 min. We were charged $100 each but it was worth it to eliminate the stress.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Please excuse my ignorance....you take the test but then how do they get the swabs and results if you are in an AirBNB? Don't the swabs have to go to a lab?  Just trying to figure out if these would work for us. 

The Abbott Binax Now ag card home test sealed box from eMed has everything in it to do the test,  You download the navica app before you leave home.  Take the test boxes in your carry on .All you need is an internet connection to do the proctored test.  You can do it on your phone.  You get results within 15 minutes and it is sent to the Navica app and can be printed out.  This is what the airlines sell for testing toreturn to the US.

Hope this helps

Karen

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

The swabs do not go to a lab. You have everything in the test kit that you need to "process" the swabs and get the results yourself. However, you must set up the app and have someone monitor (aka proctor) the process for it to be considered valid by the cruise lines' standards.

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The swabs do not go to a lab. You have everything in the test kit that you need to "process" the swabs and get the results yourself. However, you must set up the app and have someone monitor (aka proctor) the process for it to be considered valid by the cruise lines' standards.

Ok THANKS....that is the information I was looking for.  You process the swabs and they see the results as you do that.  These test seem like an excellent solution to the 48 hour time frame travelers have.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Ok THANKS....that is the information I was looking for.  You process the swabs and they see the results as you do that.  These test seem like an excellent solution to the 48 hour time frame travelers have.  

===

if you want you can click on the link in my signature and you will see a video of fellow CCer performing the test.

Peter

21 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

=====

The Medical Observed Abbott Rapid Antigen test is an easy test.  first you have to set up a Navica account and answer about seven questions which includes your Cell Phone number and your e-mail.   They will text you your results and also email you the result.    So you can have your result in your Cell Phone and email.   With your email you can print off the result.   Whole procedure should be less than half hour.  There is an example video in my signature that a fellow CCer made.  You put the swab up your nose no more than one inch.   Perhaps someone can help you if you are still unsure.   Please note that the test kits do expire so do not buy them way ahead of time.   Ask expiration date before you buy.  Note that quite a few cruisers are using these Abbott tests.

Peter

Hi, thanks for video. Have app and ready to order.  two choices:  Ag Card Home test or Antigen Self Test.

Which one should I order.   Thanks for your help

It is confusing as there is an Abbott self test at Walgreens that is out there and it works the same BUT the test you have to order is the sealed QR coded proctored test named Abbott's BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit. I think at present it may only be available in a 6 pack for $150. Everything you need is in that kit.

The proctored kit test works in exactly the same way as the non-proctored tests they sell. I actually bought one of the non-proctored ones from Abbott to just test out and see how tough it was and practice. They are like $25 for 2 at Walgreens. Just used my spare test recently due to some sniffles (negative, whew) before Thanksgiving. 

When these Abbott proctored tests first came out, the wait times to get a proctor were like 2 hours. Back in November our wait was like 3 mins. I can imagine at high travel times those times might be a bit longer. But it was very efficient, the app is easy to use, and I was happy with the ease of the experience. 

Edited by fatcat04

35 minutes ago, oldpharmguy said:

Hi, thanks for video. Have app and ready to order.  two choices:  Ag Card Home test or Antigen Self Test.

Which one should I order.   Thanks for your help

You need to order the BinaxNow agCard Home test.  This is the test that is done online with an eMed proctor with results on the Navica app.  This is the test accepted by the cruise line.

I have a question  is this  the proctored test  & how do you get the test results that satisfy the cruise line check in :

"Abbott's BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit. I think at present it may only be available in a 6 pack for $150."

3 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

I have a question  is this  the proctored test  & how do you get the test results that satisfy the cruise line check in :

"Abbott's BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit. I think at present it may only be available in a 6 pack for $150."

==

I believe when looked yesterday OptumRX had two pack for about $78.   Please make sure the test kit does not expire before your travel date before buying.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER

17 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

By the way the Rapid Antigen Tests used by the ship are the same Abbott tests you can use at home "medically supervised".  I saw the Abbott name on the envelope.   On the ship most people swab their own nose and stick the swab  in the envelope and off you go.    Very efficient.    Staff will come and get you if they see a "positive".

Peter

We have to be tested on the ship???  This is out of control.

• Like 1