Holiday cruise questions

happilytorn

We have never cruised on a holiday cruise before and wonder what it’s like to celebrate Christmas on the ship. Maybe I’m overthinking this but it’s been stressing me out. My kids are 9 and 10 and still believe in Santa (it hasn’t been easy to keep it going..). I’ve heard Santa comes to the ship, but what about stockings? I plan on bringing our stockings and fill them up after they go to sleep but is that going to create issues when they go to the kids camp? I plan on them spending a lot of time at kids camp. If other kids didn’t get stockings, then what? Gosh I feel so silly for posting this… We will be on the Reflection. 

18 minutes ago, happilytorn said:

We have never cruised on a holiday cruise before and wonder what it’s like to celebrate Christmas on the ship. Maybe I’m overthinking this but it’s been stressing me out. My kids are 9 and 10 and still believe in Santa (it hasn’t been easy to keep it going..). I’ve heard Santa comes to the ship, but what about stockings? I plan on bringing our stockings and fill them up after they go to sleep but is that going to create issues when they go to the kids camp? I plan on them spending a lot of time at kids camp. If other kids didn’t get stockings, then what? Gosh I feel so silly for posting this… We will be on the Reflection. 

Curious as to why you think your kids getting stockings would create issues in the kids camp?  Give yours their stockings and let them enjoy it, if the others kids parents don't do the same, oh well

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Curious as to why you think your kids getting stockings would create issues in the kids camp?  Give yours their stockings and let them enjoy it, if the others kids parents don't do the same, oh well

My kids think the stockings are filled by Santa, so they would assume all kids would have gotten them. Although I guess I can tell them the kids that didn’t get it didn’t lay out their stockings to be filled up… 

5 minutes ago, happilytorn said:

My kids think the stockings are filled by Santa, so they would assume all kids would have gotten them. Although I guess I can tell them the kids that didn’t get it didn’t lay out their stockings to be filled up… 

Ahhh, OK I get it now.  Though I'd not worry about it, but I'd also guess if it comes up one of the other kids will spill the Santa beans

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Ahhh, OK I get it now.  Though I'd not worry about it, but I'd also guess if it comes up one of the other kids will spill the Santa beans

Won’t be the first lol. I just tell my kids that those kids must have been bad all year lol. I think this may be the last year my kids are “believing” in Santa… 

5 minutes ago, happilytorn said:

Won’t be the first lol. I just tell my kids that those kids must have been bad all year lol. I think this may be the last year my kids are “believing” in Santa… 

when we finally told our daughter she said, ahh yes I know but I did not want to tell you because I thought I'd get less presents.  Also her best friend growing up was Jewish and got one present on each day of Hanukkah, she wanted to know if we could also be Jewish so she could get more presents. 

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I bet your kids have been with their friends who didn’t get Santa stockings, and somehow didn’t worry about it.. So not sure why the ship experience would be any different than home. 

My daughters were 7yrs apart….I use to say one played with dolls and the other ate them….and we kept the older one from telling the young one about Santa by telling her Santa doesn’t bring gifts for those that don’t believe in him, and the older one had fun with the stockings filled with goodies, so…….

By the way, a good change your kids know there isn’t a Santa and just humor their parents. 

Den

• Like 2

DW & I went with somewhat of a hybrid model. Santa brought the stocking gifts (dollar store type items, eg colouring books, puzzles, etc...), while the presents under the tree were from family. Made the Santa convo easier. Like others said, don't over think it, more than likely your kids already know and just don't want to risk their annual gift haul. 😄

• Haha 1

I can't help with the question about what to do with the stockings, but as others have said they probably at least have suspicions. I remember when my son was around that age he posed the question "my friends are talking about Santa being made up and I just want the truth." I responded that was indeed the case and your mom and I did what we enjoyed as kids all in good fun. He took that well as he obviously already knew. Then asked "I assume that goes for the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy?" Confirmed and all went well!

You are also assuming that stockings from Santa is a universal tradition. It isn't.  If you are concerned, consider telling your kids not to go blabbing about what Santa brought unless they're asked.

Edited by mom says

9 hours ago, happilytorn said:

851433308_ChristmasDecoratedFoyer.thumb.jpg.6d4dcf79916f6123b27cd4ba62e16564.jpg

Solstice, Dec 2019

My family of 4 have been on two Christmas cruises so far. Both times we brought our stockings.  If you buy some magnetic hooks, you can easily hang your stockings on the cabin wall.  If your kids open their stocking gifts on Christmas morning in your cabin, I don't think it will cause the problems with the rest of the kids on the ship that you are worried about.  Everyone on the ship is in a terrific mood on Christmas Day.  You and your family will enjoy it.

Here are the Christmas Eve and Christmas issues of the Celebrity Today that we got in 2019 during our Solstice cruise.

IMG_0948.thumb.jpg.014089eadd46a5590b94b0b71e10472a.jpg

Christmas stockings, Infinity, Dec 2016

IMG_0701.thumb.jpg.ab9fda9ff31ac4e7da83e09a8ed13c06.jpg

Table top Christmas tree and a fireplace app on an iPad on Christmas morning 2016

Edited by mahdnc

13 hours ago, mahdnc said:

851433308_ChristmasDecoratedFoyer.thumb.jpg.6d4dcf79916f6123b27cd4ba62e16564.jpg

Solstice, Dec 2019

My family of 4 have been on two Christmas cruises so far. Both times we brought our stockings.  If you buy some magnetic hooks, you can easily hang your stockings on the cabin wall.  If your kids open their stocking gifts on Christmas morning in your cabin, I don't think it will cause the problems with the rest of the kids on the ship that you are worried about.  Everyone on the ship is in a terrific mood on Christmas Day.  You and your family will enjoy it.

Here are the Christmas Eve and Christmas issues of the Celebrity Today that we got in 2019 during our Solstice cruise.

IMG_0948.thumb.jpg.014089eadd46a5590b94b0b71e10472a.jpg

Christmas stockings, Infinity, Dec 2016

IMG_0701.thumb.jpg.ab9fda9ff31ac4e7da83e09a8ed13c06.jpg

Table top Christmas tree and a fireplace app on an iPad on Christmas morning 2016

Wow this is amazing and I love your beautiful stockings!! Too late for us to buy the hooks online.. I wonder if I can find them somewhere in store. That's such a great idea. 

Thank you so much for the pictures and the Dailies. We are getting SO EXCITED!!

15 hours ago, JFontaine said:

How is Santa getting into your 180 Sq foot cabin without anyone knowing?  The balcony door?  I think that sounds creepy. 

C'mon don't you know how it works on cruise ships?  Reindeers and Sleigh land on the Helipad.  Then Santa climbs down the Smokestack.  He has a universal key card for cabins on all cruise ships.  On E-Class he might instead use the Infinite Veranda if the Captain opens them on his arrival.  Before Santa leaves he stops at Cafe al Bacio for his cookies which are Always Included.  Easy Peasy.   Read this story to the kids on the cruise ship before bedtime on Christmas Eve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1