The Odyssey, on-the-sea - Dec 18, 2021

shark b8

On 12/23/2021 at 1:23 AM, shark b8 said:

And now the same advisories for Curaçao tomorrow, as there were for Aruba today.  Saffron, any news about your ability to travel?

8147E422-8C32-4753-9300-0B302D6D3FC1.jpeg

7.30-8.00am ? <faints>

Edit..I had intended to quote the Barbados test advisory note, not this unrelated post.
No idea why, a few years ago,CC stopped users having the ability to delete their posts!

Edited by Isklaar

So, strange things going on, seemingly.  Yesterday in St. Kitts, as I mentioned, passengers were asked to stop at the Salon before going ashore, for Covid tests.  All seemed pretty orderly and civilized, at least what we saw of it.  Today in Dominica, CD Jan came on ship’s PA system first thing this morning and asked for those who hadn’t been tested to please do so, and added some oddly phrased language that the authorities here in Dominica needed clarification about these tests, and that would probably take a while, and thus all shore excursions have automatically been canceled and refunded.  I’m afraid that what occurs to me now, as we sit here waiting for further word, is that this is probably exactly how things might play out and sound, if a positive Covid test were discovered.  Sure do hope I’m just letting my imagination get the best of me.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 3:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

Doesn't exist.  I understand it once did, but not now for whatever reason.  

Nope, never did.  CC doesn't want to encourage conversations off boards.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Host Dan said:

Nope, never did.  CC doesn't want to encourage conversations off boards.

I was not aware of this.  Once, I (and others) thought there was a PM icon available on this site.  

Why does CC want to discourage such off the boards messaging?  I am a member of Amtrak Unlimited Forums which does permit such messaging.  I can communicate with another Member of the Forum about a very specific item that would have little or no relevance to others who participate on that Forum.  

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I was not aware of this.  Once, I (and others) thought there was a PM icon available on this site.  

Why does CC want to discourage such off the boards messaging?  I am a member of Amtrak Unlimited Forums which does permit such messaging.  I can communicate with another Member of the Forum about a very specific item that would have little or no relevance to others who participate on that Forum.  

I believe it is because the CC message boards are intended to be an inclusive forum  rather than exclusive!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Host Dan said:

I believe it is because the CC message boards are intended to be an inclusive forum  rather than exclusive!

I was under the impression that private communications are discouraged because CC does not want posters to be able to share information about travel agents.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Once, I (and others) thought there was a PM icon available on this site.  

There still is, it's the little bell icon near the top of the page, on my laptop anyway. The PM function is disabled.

I am enjoying your live thread, shark b8, thanks for posting. Your missing Dominca has not been reported in the news.

I too wanted to thank you Shark b8 for keeping us informed re testing etc.  There has certainly been Covid cases on many ships - including Ovation.  If you are staying on, perhaps you would let us know of developments.  Cruising isn't as stress-free as it used to be, is it! ha ha.....   Jan

Fortunately, my fears about possibly ending the cruise early were unfounded.  I might have overreacted, having been down this road once before - in mid-March of 2020, when the whole Covid thing exploded, we were on the Quest, sailing back from Antarctica.  They told us all cruise ships were dropping passengers pretty much wherever they happened to be - we first were going to be dropped in Uruguay (and we made flight arrangements for that), then the next morning we found out Uruguay had closed its borders, so Buenos Aires would be the drop off.  Anyway, long story short, having been through that the last time around, maybe I was overly cynical about instant replay this time around.  Anyway, we had a lovely catamaran cruise today out of Barbados, splashed around with some hawksbill turtles and a school of Sergeant Majors, and enjoyed a nice lunch.  Back onboard now, looks like most passengers disembarked to go home - might be interesting to gauge how many will now come aboard here.  Guessing occupancy might be even lower than the last 10 days (which we were told was around 320), due to Omicron fears and flight problems, of course.

Edited by shark b8

6 hours ago, whogo said:

Your missing Dominca has not been reported in the news.

Yeah, I’m still not quite sure what that was all about, it seemed to be a little mysterious (with no definitive explanation), that all shore excursions were canceled and we skedaddled out so quickly.  We are scheduled to go back to Dominica in a few days, might be interesting to see how that plays out.

Just offshore from us is the Queen Mary 2, we are reading about her woes with Covid-positive tests and staffing shortages.  Evidently she will hang around here outside the Bridgetown harbor for another several days, then head back to Southampton, missing a couple of Caribbean calls, as well as her call to New York.

55543BCB-9F5B-42B4-AB97-C63A866D2166.jpeg

• Like 1

….and right next door to us is the Norwegian Escape - capacity ~4,600.  I dunno, I personally am pretty happy with the li’l Odyssey, even if it doesn’t have a water slide and a roller coaster on top.  😅 🚢

EB7B47EC-6057-476A-B5C3-49C28819F820.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

….and right next door to us is the Norwegian Escape - capacity ~4,600.  I dunno, I personally am pretty happy with the li’l Odyssey, even if it doesn’t have a water slide and a roller coaster on top.  😅 🚢

EB7B47EC-6057-476A-B5C3-49C28819F820.jpeg

Not sure if I’ve previously mentioned, all our prior 6 cruises have been in NCL (out of NYC) … of the ships we’ve been on the Escape was by far our favorite. Especially our Deluxe Owners Suite in the Haven … felt like we were on a ship of a few hundred rather than a few thousand!

In fact, it was our experience on this ship and that Haven that convinced us to make the move to a luxury line with a smaller ship. On our last trip on the Escape I think we left the confines of the Haven only 3 evenings for dinner and when we left the ship for our 2.5 days in Bermuda. 

Really enjoying your trip updates and and happy to hear things are settling back into that cruise rhythm. Getting me very excited for our March visit to the Odyssey for our first Seabourn cruise!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Navis said:

Getting me very excited for our March visit to the Odyssey for our first Seabourn cruise!

I’ll bet ten bucks you’re going to love it.  We first sailed on the Spirit back in 2013 (shortly before she was retired from the Seabourn fleet, and became the Star Breeze), and have been hooked on Seabourn ever since.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Host Dan said:

Thank you for your reply.  But, PM would be a way for individuals with very specific interests/questions/issues could interact without causing thread drift.  

11 hours ago, SLSD said:

I was under the impression that private communications are discouraged because CC does not want posters to be able to share information about travel agents.  

That was also my impression.  And, if so, I am OK with that.  

8 hours ago, whogo said:

There still is, it's the little bell icon near the top of the page, on my laptop anyway. The PM function is disabled.

Yes, the little bell icon is there, but it does not work.  

1 hour ago, Navis said:

Not sure if I’ve previously mentioned, all our prior 6 cruises have been in NCL (out of NYC) … of the ships we’ve been on the Escape was by far our favorite. Especially our Deluxe Owners Suite in the Haven … felt like we were on a ship of a few hundred rather than a few thousand!

Next to Seabourn, NCL is the line I have the most nights on and I can easily say Seabourn beats The Haven by a wide margin.  Unless you love having close proximity to lots of kids, presenting your key card all the time, attending art auctions to bid on mass-produced Peter Max and Thomas Kincaid works, taking pictures for purchase with costumed sultry pirates or mangy dolphins in every port, and being limited to one restaurant/bar if you want to avoid the masses.

Seabourn is the Haven across the entire ship minus all those things I mention above plus a ton of things you won’t get even with The Haven, like free flowing caviar and staff across the entire ship who know your name and remember your preferences (and not because they are angling for a tip).  And almost always less cost per night than what one pays for the ship within a ship experience.

• Like 7

Glad to see that you have your bags - finally - shark b8.

Thank you for your posts. We're usually onboard a Seabourn ship during  the holidays, so reading along has been somewhat bittersweet, but it's good to see what's going on even in these strange times.

Hello shark b8.  We can see Odyssey from our ship, Silver Whisper so hope that means that both of us will be allowed into Dominica today.  Were you able to find out how many passengers tested positive on Odyssey and were any disembarked?