Any Chance Repeat of March 2020?

LuCruise

2 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

You should check your FP date.  RCL extended the 30 day Final Payment window and I believe it now includes May, so your FP wouldn’t be until April.

Thank you, I will check for that, was unaware that had been extended.

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

Check your Final Payment date!  RCL extended the 30 day window to include May, so your FP shouldn’t be until April.

Thanks! Don’t know why I didn’t check the dates for final payment earlier. We don’t plan to cancel for May, but holding onto our money longer is nice. 🙂

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the port agreements had to include the port authorities, the state public health agencies, and the local medical providers (as well as others to provide potential quarantine sites, etc), and were needed to even restart the cruises.  This was so there would not be a repeat of the shipboard quarantines.

And, they are not overkill, they are emergency preparedness requirements, but I guess that you think that plans, drills, and equipment staging by FEMA and state agencies to deal with floods, hurricanes, and tornados are overkill as well.  It's called insurance.  You pay to prepare for the worst, and hope it never is needed.

Floods, hurricanes and tornadoes happen and will continue to happen. Hundreds of people on a cruise ship getting covid and all requiring medical attention will never happen.

27 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Thanks! Don’t know why I didn’t check the dates for final payment earlier. We don’t plan to cancel for May, but holding onto our money longer is nice. 🙂

Is there a way to check final payment date on the website or do you have to call the automated line for a new invoice?  I just looked but couldn't find it.

21 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Floods, hurricanes and tornadoes happen and will continue to happen. Hundreds of people on a cruise ship getting covid and all requiring medical attention will never happen.

Do you think these port agreements are just for covid?  They will be integrated into the VSP, or be part of "free pratique" measures from now on.  An outbreak of GI illness, or the next pandemic, which will happen, will be treated better because of the procedures set up now.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There have been nearly zero (I think the CDC quoted 47 through the end of October out of over 500k passengers) cruise passengers that needed hospitalization after testing positive on board. The need for local shore agreements ended up being overkill.

How would you know how many actually needed hospitalization after getting home from the cruise? Even if Royal Caribbean had that information, you really think they are going to report that?

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Do you think these port agreements are just for covid?  They will be integrated into the VSP, or be part of "free pratique" measures from now on.  An outbreak of GI illness, or the next pandemic, which will happen, will be treated better because of the procedures set up now.

Yes, because the CDC required them just for covid

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, because the CDC required them just for covid

Covid provided an urgent reason to implement things that have been discussed for years, and that the CDC would have preferred to have for years.  These are not going to go away.  The procedures onboard for masking and testing, and quarantine cabins will likely move to the background, but I fully expect them to be retained as contingency, just like the noro remediation procedures that are only used when there is a problem.

• Like 1

March 2020 will not repeat itself but in order to keep the amount of COVID cases as low as possible on a cruise everyone needs to do their part. It's not enough to post on the site they are worrid their cruise will be cancelled, will be faced with a large outbreak onboard but then not be willing to do anything from their part.

We are not living in Pre Covid times and each one of us needs to do their part when they board a cruise and at least weeks before they do so. This involved taking care of social distancing, disciplined about wearing masks indoors and not finding excuses on not wearing them; holding a drink all the time pretending to drink etc. Hence if we all do our part cruising will be safe and also enjoyable during those times. But then there is also the cruiseline that needs to do their part. Besides implementing the cleanin protocols, mask policies etc cacpacities in venues and on the ship still need to be limited at this stage to max 70% or even less.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

So why is being prepared for something as remote as you suggest a bad thing?

It's not taking any resources from anyone- it's just a plan if something bad happens.

Seems like something that isn't a big deal that it's in place.  

3 hours ago, pstone1 said:

Check your Final Payment date!  RCL extended the 30 day window to include May, so your FP shouldn’t be until April.

Cruise with Confidence is extended to May 31, 2022 allowing you to cancel and get a FCC but everything I can find says that the 30 day final payment window is only extended until March 31, 2022.  I have a May 2022 sailing and would be thrilled to see they extended the final payment window, so if you have a link I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Every Adventure of the Seas cruise when she was homeporting in Nassau

Not a CDC requirement thing- unless the US annexed the Bahamas without anyone noticing.  

Still, all of these procedures are in place so that the cruise lines can lift some of the other requirements when things get better.  Had there been no plan in place, and there was an outbreak- there would be general panic, and ships would be stranded at sea.

With a plan, the cruise lines and all the ports know exactly what to do if something happens.  So that cruising can continue with as little impact as possible.  So what if it includes things that may never be used- they are just plans, not actual actions that cost money and people.

I really don't understand all of the fight against trying to restain the covid impact.  Especially when those plans allow people to live more of a normal life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Every passenger on the Harmony TA in November was tested 4 times during the crossing.

So that's a ship load of people entering the US from a different country.

Not counting ships that are not home porting in the US (Adventure) or ships that are bringing people from one country to another (the Harmony)- has there been a US home ported ship that tested the entire passenger list- as opposed to the ones reporting to the doctor + all of their contacts?

41 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

March 2020 will not repeat itself but in order to keep the amount of COVID cases as low as possible on a cruise everyone needs to do their part. It's not enough to post on the site they are worrid their cruise will be cancelled, will be faced with a large outbreak onboard but then not be willing to do anything from their part.

We are not living in Pre Covid times and each one of us needs to do their part when they board a cruise and at least weeks before they do so. This involved taking care of social distancing, disciplined about wearing masks indoors and not finding excuses on not wearing them; holding a drink all the time pretending to drink etc. Hence if we all do our part cruising will be safe and also enjoyable during those times. But then there is also the cruiseline that needs to do their part. Besides implementing the cleanin protocols, mask policies etc cacpacities in venues and on the ship still need to be limited at this stage to max 70% or even less.

Agree.  If we go, this is us. We are happy they added the stricter mask protocls and will wear them all the time...even in the MDR until the food arrives. We plan on using our balcony more than usual (even with kids - will bring drinks and treats back to our room and have games on us) and will avoid crowds when we can.  We even discussed limiting activities that we would have otherwise joined in.  It's our compromise with our kids if we go.  Definitely wont be the normal cruise but we will do what we can on our side to try and stay well.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 9:29 AM, LuCruise said:

We have a cruise next week and are struggling with whether to go or cancel.  From our side, we are doing everything to help lessen the risk....driving to the port (with just staying in the hotel along the way), purchased very good masks, we will only get off at Royal's private island, etc.  We will try and sit off to the side at shows, etc.  We were comfortable with the protocols, but the omicron variant is worrying us.  We are also happy that Royal will be requiring masks always indoors if not eating or drinking.

One main concern...  If a ship has an outbreak, is there any chance at all that it wouldn't be allowed to dock upon return?  We don't care if our ports refuse us, but concerned we would get stuck at sea trying to return to New Jersey.  i.e. The Princess scenario.  I personally don't think this would happen again, but what are others thoughts?

Don't know what to do.  On the one hand, logic tells us we shouldn't go with the quick rise in cases and chance of an outbreak.  On the other hand, we are getting to a point where we want to live our lives.

We cancelled ours that was scheduled for 12/26. As of now, we moved to March. We won't sail with the strict and ridiculous restrictions that they just reimposed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Is there a way to check final payment date on the website or do you have to call the automated line for a new invoice?  I just looked but couldn't find it.

I called the automated line, and had an invoice sent to my email. It reflected the new final payment date.

Sorry it took so long to reply, this website logs me in and out constantly these days. Getting back in is awful at times.

7 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

I called the automated line, and had an invoice sent to my email. It reflected the new final payment date.

Sorry it took so long to reply, this website logs me in and out constantly these days. Getting back in is awful at times.

Thanks.  I will do that now.  I was afraid to click on the make final payment button to see if the date was in there.  Didn't want to make final payment by mistake. 😄 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Agree.  If we go, this is us. We are happy they added the stricter mask protocls and will wear them all the time...even in the MDR until the food arrives. We plan on using our balcony more than usual (even with kids - will bring drinks and treats back to our room and have games on us) and will avoid crowds when we can.  We even discussed limiting activities that we would have otherwise joined in.  It's our compromise with our kids if we go.  Definitely wont be the normal cruise but we will do what we can on our side to try and stay well.

I am sure you will anyway have a great time and on top of it you will stay healthy 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Your ship stateroom is safer than your own house due to the ventilation upgrades

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pstone1 said:

18 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Thank you both so much!  I just called for an invoice and it does show a final payment due date of April.  If we had to make final 90 days out, we likely would have cancelled, now we will have a better idea what is going on before we make our decision.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Thank you both so much!  I just called for an invoice and it does show a final payment due date of April.  If we had to make final 90 days out, we likely would have cancelled, now we will have a better idea what is going on before we make our decision.  Thanks again.

Glad that worked out for you. This is such a fluid situation.  And May is way too far out to even guess at. But with final payment later, lot of people will wait now. I’m sure that has something to do with the generous extension of time. 🙂

• Like 1