Covid Procedures on Ships

Lovecruisestoo

For anyone just returning from a Holland America cruise what were all the procedures regarding Covid?   How many times were you tested?  And what happened to those who tested positive?   And now with the requirement to have a negative test to return to the U.S.  do they provide tests/paperwork on board?   

1 hour ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

For anyone just returning from a Holland America cruise what were all the procedures regarding Covid?   How many times were you tested?  And what happened to those who tested positive?   And now with the requirement to have a negative test to return to the U.S.  do they provide tests/paperwork on board?   

All discussed here quite frequently, many threads. Only tested on board for longer cruises, or if on a B2B. Those that test positive will be quarantined, and probably be put off the ship at the earliest opportunity. If you out sailing out of the US, you don't need a test to return to the US.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

[snip]

Those that test positive will be quarantined, and probably be put off the ship at the earliest opportunity. If you out sailing out of the US, you don't need a test to return to the US.

Put off the ship? I hadn't read that.

4 hours ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

We were in a B2B and were tested onboard to, but I understand that be changed to be testing at the pier. Only tested once, unless you were in an international flight or on more B2B’s. Staff really cleaned the tables with disinfectant before seating the next guest. Also, heavy duty cleaning of stairwells and bathrooms. Actually felt safer than grocery store or restaurants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

Put off the ship? I hadn't read that.

I would imagine, just as with any illness on a ship, once your medical situation is beyond the scope of the ship's medical officers and equipment, you will be transferred to a land facility. Surely, you've seen that happen in your cruising career. I sure have.

5 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I would imagine, just as with any illness on a ship, once your medical situation is beyond the scope of the ship's medical officers and equipment, you will be transferred to a land facility. Surely, you've seen that happen in your cruising career. I sure have.

We were told yesterday if you tested positive there are cabins for isolation until you can safely disembark to a predetermined hotel. You can not stay isolated in your current cabin..There are covid meds onboard. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We were told yesterday if you tested positive there are cabins for isolation until you can safely disembark to a predetermined hotel. You can not stay isolated in your current cabin..There are covid meds onboard. 

I had heard about the isolation cabins. Some people have reported that they may be on Decks 4 and 6, aft. Can you confirm this?

44 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Currently on the Rotterdam since 12-12. We are being tested tomorrow morning before we disembark on 12-22 (we are on board for 5 weeks) It is a requirement per our paperwork to test 48 hours before docking in US. 

When we cruised on the Rotterdam from Nov. 10 - Dec. 1. (3 weeks),  we had to take the test 2 days before turnaround day because our cruise was a Collector Cruise comprising a 10 day and an 11 day.

We took the test and were able to continue our activities. I don't remember whether the letter with our negative results came later that day or early the next, but we did receive the written results in case they were needed.

We were not tested prior to disembarkation at the end of the second cruise.

Edited by seaoma

On the Rotterdam there were 3 blocks of staterooms set aside for isolation/quarantine.  Basically they closed a fire door and put up a sign saying it was off limits.  I would do my early morning walking on the decks with staterooms, and deck 4 was the only one that wasn't "business as usual".

Sue/WDW1972

• Thanks 1