Observations From The Poop Deck Christmas/New Years Equinox

morpheusofthesea

2 hours ago, bnurick said:

Thank you so much!  We have already booked and by default it shows on Day 1.  You find out the actual night once you board.  Since we are in the same itinerary I figured whatever night(s) they are having will be the same. Usually it is only done once, but with it being 12 nights I guess having two makes sense.  Thank you again and enjoy your cruise. We are in an S1 AFT cabin, usually in a CS but don’t have a teenager with us this cruise. Enjoy the updates!

I am the same, but now have to call them sunset verandas, as I was reminded in another post.  I love the small separate hallway and the view of the wake; however, E class has such a huge balcony, but I miss the size of the cabin on S class, along with the improvements to the Retreat areas on E.  I have Equinox booked for both holidays next December and realize these suites have not been updated yet.  All my other cruises are on E class, even for 2024.

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

but now have to call them sunset verandas,

Make sure to call it a Sunset Suite or you will be highly disappointed with a regular aft facing balcony (Sunset Veranda!).

Aft facing S2 and S1 are being reclassified SS on S class ships.

SV's on S class are not being reclassified as far as I know.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Make sure to call it a Sunset Suite or you will be highly disappointed with a regular aft facing balcony (Sunset Veranda!).

Aft facing S2 and S1 are being reclassified SS on S class ships.

SV's on S class are not being reclassified as far as I know.

I have two b2b/TA's booked with a Sunset Suite and Sunset Veranda for Apex and Beyond.  Seems I cannot put it into words, but yes, the monetary amounts are very different for each class!  Thank goodness my math is better than my communication on these boards...I have such awful cruise withdrawal that my mind is gone!  thanks for correcting me on here, as I hate to mislead anyone.  Happy New Year!

I hope that the S2's will not be the same price as the S1's - do not think they will be.  Big difference IMHO.  The SV's on E-class are quite nice, but they book up quickly because of their nice balconies.  That is why I combine them with a Sunset Suite and keep my price lower.  Just something I have to do with all the price hikes and new ships.

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I am the same, but now have to call them sunset verandas, as I was reminded in another post.  I love the small separate hallway and the view of the wake; however, E class has such a huge balcony, but I miss the size of the cabin on S class, along with the improvements to the Retreat areas on E.  I have Equinox booked for both holidays next December and realize these suites have not been updated yet.  All my other cruises are on E class, even for 2024.

Sorry...Sunset Suites!  

Edited by Lastdance

This morning is Barbados with Silverseas Silver Whisper and Rotterdam. "All guests, regardless of vaccination status, will only be permitted to disembark if they have booked an excursion provided by Celebrity Cruises. Fully vaccinated guests .... can also purchase an approved independent taxi tour provided by the local government. These tours are unaffiliated with Celebrity Cruises. Guests must wear masks, indoors and outdoors, carry a copy of the vaccination card."

21 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I thought about your question this afternoon after lunch. Noticed that the prime real estate around the pool is again being taken up by "lounge hogs". I guess when passenger capacity is increased over 50% our primal instincts re-emerge on cruise ships. This group all went to lunch and 'forgot' to pack up their things.

IMG_1447.jpg

Wait, do you mean if I go to lunch I'm expected to vacate my lounge or else be labeled a "lounge hog"?

Edited by Andrewgary
forgot to type
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Andrewgary said:

Wait, do you mean if I go to lunch I'm expected to vacate my lounge or else be labeled a "lounge hog"?

Unfortunately, Yes.  Years ago on Home Lines, Atlantic and Homeric, the cruise line had a unique system on board. Passengers would sign up and pay for the privilege of having a lounge deck chair set up for them by a couple of pool deck attendants around the coveted pool area. One was always questioned when leaving for how long by the ever present attendants. If they determined it  a short enough time they placed your name on the deck chair and made sure no one commandeered it. If over the time they would fold it up and stack it away from the pool area. Return later and they would re set the chair with fresh towels.

We were on a Princess ship years ago when the chair hogs had every inch of deck space/chair taken from before sunrise. We even brought on board our own foldable beach chairs and placed them in a spot we found between two life boats. Those were the days of 'two lowers on the inside'. Never been back on Princess.

Port day so no Luminae for lunch. Had room service. It is just OK. Not fans of Sushi which is open. Ocean view Cafe is open, but not fans of buffet with a crowded ship and selfserved plates and silverware. A few guests order from the Mast Grill on deck 14 and walk down to 12 to eat at a table in air conditioned Spa Cafe in Solarium. No shade at Mast Grill. After room service decided to walk around and find another in port lunch spot on the ship. Went up to Retreat Sun Deck, went over menu. Attendant did say he would provide Retreat lunch menu item to cabin should we decide. Otherwise saw guests with plates eating from their laps on their lounge chairs. Others would have to bend over these small low tables. No shade. These awnings do not protect one from sun burn. I was burnt under these awnings a couple of years ago. Counted about 18 guests on Retreat deck this lunch time.

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

Another observation that many of us Celebrity Cruises repeaters have experienced. We enjoy the service provided by the many staff we have interacted with while on board. Many of these are finishing their contracts are are destined to new contracts in a couple of months time on other ships in the Celebrity fleet.  Looking forward to seeing these same people next year as we plan to jump back to E class.

19 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Captain just announced "Star Code, Star Code, Star Code" deck 7 # XXXX. We haven't yet left Barbados.

I hope everyone is well.

Did you get off the ship in Barbados?  Can you tell us how the "government approved" excursions were handled?  Could taxi drivers take you anywhere you wanted to go?  Did you need to stay in a bubble with other cruisers and away from any island residents?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Yes, if you are not back in 15 minutes you will be officially labeled a "Lounge Hog"

Gotta disagree with that one. I think it's fair to leave for a bite to eat at the buffet or a game of trivia for an hour and not have to start my lounge search all over again. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrewgary said:

Gotta disagree with that one. I think it's fair to leave for a bite to eat at the buffet or a game of trivia for an hour and not have to start my lounge search all over again. 

So you think it's ok for loungers to sit empty by the pool for an hour or so and other cruisers can't find a lounger by the pool?  Sorry, that's just not right.   You can look for your stuff at the lost and found before you restart your lounge search.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, finny2 said:

That's a medical emergency code, right?

Yes. Guest was just taken off ship at 8:15 pm strapped to gurney placed into ambulance. Gangway is up preparing for sailaway.  Captain also announced 2 more positive cases (total 7), these 2 are isolated on medical deck, their close contacts are negative. More passengers now wearing masks.

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Did you get off the ship in Barbados?  Can you tell us how the "government approved" excursions were handled?  Could taxi drivers take you anywhere you wanted to go?  Did you need to stay in a bubble with other cruisers and away from any island residents?

We do not get off the ship. Gov't approved taxis. Can't answer your questions, sorry not too helpful.